Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

AOL news has recently discovered that the FDA has known that sunscreens can cause and contribute to skin cancer for more than 10 years and has refused to ban them.

Please do extensive research before you slather toxic chemicals onto the largest organ in your body - your skin.

There are better, healthier and safer alternatives.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
AOL news has recently discovered that the FDA has known that sunscreens can cause and contribute to skin cancer for more than 10 years and has refused to ban them.

Here's the link from last year, if anyone wants to read it for themselves ..

WASHINGTON (May 24) -- Almost half of the 500 most popular sunscreen products may actually increase the speed at which malignant ...

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Please do extensive research before you slather toxic chemicals onto the largest organ in your body - your skin.

There are better, healthier and safer alternatives.

20yrsinBranson
Yes and I"m trying to get away from the stuff myself. If I was perfectly responsible, I'd do it this way: I'd start sunbathing in the spring as early as I could get out every day for about 10 minutes at first and I'd build up. I'd wear a hat though. This would give you vitamin D naturally and it would give you a nice base tan--I have been doing that lately and it's quite pleasant. I believe I'd still buy sunscreen for places like Hawaii though, b/c I am quite white but I hate the stuff b/c it breaks out my skin so bad--I get these gi-normous pimples. If I am going to be out all day, I just cover up--too old to look hot in a swimsuit anyway.

I also read that the supplement astaxanthin has photo protective benefits and will minimize damage to your skin and eyes from the sun. It's the same nutrient that makes flamingoes pink but it won't turn you flamingo colored.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
I agree, I just don't think people realize how much less you actually get with the spray. I also prefer to have a choice, especially on a necessity like sunscreen
i actually use significantly less with spray on. i apply it before i leave the house, so no blowing away for me. and it covers my skin much easier, without using gobs of the cream. i think it's easy to waste it if you're not careful though, but i'm careful. when i apply outside, i find something to block the wind. also, it's a nice even application. sometimes i miss spots with the cream altogether.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
"People don't get the high SPF they pay for," the report says. "People apply about a quarter of the recommended amount. So in everyday practice, a product labeled SPF 100 really performs like SPF 3.2, an SPF 30 rating equates to a 2.3 and an SPF 15 translates to 2."

there's why your tubes are lasting so long folks....

Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,455 times
Three things I get from the latest data on sunscreens. 1) SPFs in excess of 50 are ineffective and perhaps even dangerous. 2) look for certain chemicals in the product, that may promote / accelerate melanoma, and avoid those. See the websites for the specific chemicals. 3) Spray ons are often in the dangerous lists for both items 1) and 2).

Next up...nutriton / cell health / the microwave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living