Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:43 PM

386 posts, read 1,365,430 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe how expensive beef has gotten. Have you switched from beef to eating more chicken due to the cost? I have started buying a whole chicken weekly and either freezing it to use later, or putting it in the crockpot for a meal. After having it for a meal, I cut up the leftovers for chicken salad or just put some on top of a salad that week. Just curious if others are switching over also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,297,090 times
Nope -- chicken is our staple meat. We eat it 3-4 times a week. It's funny -- we even it eat when we go out.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM

165 posts, read 305,218 times
Well chicken is way healthier so it shouldn't be a bad thing. Help you lose some LBs off that gut from all the red meat rotting in your colon.

I've actually started eating less meat all around due to prices. More black bean, hot sauce, onion and pepper burritos for me. Shoot I lost 40 LBs last year just due to cutting eating meat 7 days a week. Fat people take note. BTW I only weighed 180 at my highest. Girls have definitely flocked more since

Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,139,247 times
Default even hesitant to buy chicken!!

has anyone noticed that even the raw chicken is now being injected with "up to 12% flavor enhancing broth, salt and carageenan". NOTHING is pure, unadulterated food anymore! At least here in north central TEXAS, anyway.Beef prices should be going down because of the drought/heat. Ranchers have to get rid of their stock cause hay is getting scarcer and feed costs are going up. Pork prices are almost as bad as beef. Fish and seafood prices are outrageous so I buy little if any of that either. Looks like we'll be forced to eat more beans and rice,rice and beans. My other half will definately not be happy about that. Won't bother me all that much. I'd be just as happy with pasta,salads, veggies, and soups.
should cost less in the long run, and most definately more nutritious. I could stand to lose a few pounds

Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
has anyone noticed that even the raw chicken is now being injected with "up to 12% flavor enhancing broth, salt and carageenan". NOTHING is pure, unadulterated food anymore! At least here in north central TEXAS, anyway.Beef prices should be going down because of the drought/heat. Ranchers have to get rid of their stock cause hay is getting scarcer and feed costs are going up. Pork prices are almost as bad as beef. Fish and seafood prices are outrageous so I buy little if any of that either. Looks like we'll be forced to eat more beans and rice,rice and beans. My other half will definately not be happy about that. Won't bother me all that much. I'd be just as happy with pasta,salads, veggies, and soups.
should cost less in the long run, and most definately more nutritious. I could stand to lose a few pounds
Natural Organic free-range has no added flavors, etc.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
looks like the frozen chickens generally have that added water and salt. i dont see that on the packages i get in the refrigerated section.

chicken is great. can find the cheap parts as low as .69 cents a pound and the boneless/skinless breasts easily for 1.99 a pound or less. i never really bought steak in the supermarket.

i buy a lot of peanut butter and just stocked up at about 50 cents a pound.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 PM

454 posts, read 1,243,667 times
If you want to save money then don't buy meat. Rice, beans etc is cheaper.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
I cannot believe how expensive beef has gotten. Have you switched from beef to eating more chicken due to the cost? I have started buying a whole chicken weekly and either freezing it to use later, or putting it in the crockpot for a meal. After having it for a meal, I cut up the leftovers for chicken salad or just put some on top of a salad that week. Just curious if others are switching over also.
I buy more chicken and pork than beef, partly because of the price and partly because everything I buy anymore just seems to be tough! I will 'splurge', maybe once a month, on a small steak and I do like to do a crockpot roast now and then, but basically no. I don't eat much seafood because THAT is stupid expensive. I love it though. I can get a family pack of skinless/boneless chicken breasts for about $1.88 lb., which usually has about 8 in the pack, divide it up and have enough for 7-8 meals. I am sooo grateful I'm not feeding a family anymore and can get by fairly cheaply for just me.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
I tend to save money by forgoing meat altogether fairly often. I know so many great meatless recipes, and it's such a money saver. Where I am, chicken has gotten ridiculously high, as well. I like meat, an not a vegetarian, but I like my vegetarian dishes just as well.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,128,245 times
The only time I eat beef is when I'm making spaghetti, and even then I use ground turkey to make spaghetti. I'm definitely eating more skinless chicken nowadays Way healthier especially since it helps me put on lean muscle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living