Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You got it! Life is too valuable to spend time on little mundane things to save a few bucks. That's the whole preface for my point. I don't see it being arrogant though, and this is probably where there's a disconnect.
I think, to some people, frugality is a sort of art form. For others, it is a win/lose sort of game with friends.

Times are also rough, and for some of us pinching pennies is becoming a way of life. They should be commended for their efforts to feed their families, in my opinion.

There, but for the grace of God (can't believe I'm saying that), go I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think, to some people, frugality is a sort of art form. For others, it is a win/lose sort of game with friends.

Times are also rough, and for some of us pinching pennies is becoming a way of life. They should be commended for their efforts to feed their families, in my opinion.

There, but for the grace of God (can't believe I'm saying that), go I.
You're right, I can respect that.

I just try to inject ideas to get people to think about it before moving forward.

I commend the person who uses Hulu instead of paying for cable to save $50/month.

I commend the individual that buy canned food on sale in large quantities to spread the savings over an extended period of time.

I commend the individual that makes their own bread because the supermarket loaf is a poor value at 99 cents and the gourmet loaf is too expensive at $6.

I QUESTION the individual who bites Aspirin pills into thirds to get the right dosage to save $1 per month over just buying pills the right dose.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
You're right, I can respect that.

I just try to inject ideas to get people to think about it before moving forward.

I commend the person who uses Hulu instead of paying for cable to save $50/month.

I commend the individual that buy canned food on sale in large quantities to spread the savings over an extended period of time.

I commend the individual that makes their own bread because the supermarket loaf is a poor value at 99 cents and the gourmet loaf is too expensive at $6.

I QUESTION the individual who bites Aspirin pills into thirds to get the right dosage to save $1 per month over just buying pills the right dose.

Stocking up to save we agree on. Note: stocking up also puts the stocking consumer directly in the path of stock going out of date before consumption. Do propose that these end stocks be thrown away?

Biting pills to save money is a bit much unless you're short a pill or two until the next business day.

The rest of your post......not so much.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
[/color]

Stocking up to save we agree on. Note: stocking up also puts the stocking consumer directly in the path of stock going out of date before consumption. Do propose that these end stocks be thrown away?

Biting pills to save money is a bit much unless you're short a pill or two until the next business day.

The rest of your post......not so much.
Regarding expired canned food: I never really run into that myself... When I stock up, I only stock up for 1 or 2 months... canned food tends to outlast that.

Regarding the pills, I was referring to this pill: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...ime-money.html

I don't use Hulu, but I've heard others say it. I do bake my own bread however. Saves boatloads of money!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
I am easily one of the most frugal people on this forum. I have to be. I support myself on only $190 a week. However, I will NOT eat expired food. I would never eat spaghetti sauce that expired 9 years ago.... No thanks. There is a limit and balance to everything.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Regarding expired canned food: I never really run into that myself... When I stock up, I only stock up for 1 or 2 months... canned food tends to outlast that.

Regarding the pills, I was referring to this pill: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...ime-money.html

I don't use Hulu, but I've heard others say it. I do bake my own bread however. Saves boatloads of money!
Oh, come now!

You've NEVER had a can of food go past date before you use it?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am easily one of the most frugal people on this forum. I have to be. I support myself on only $190 a week. However, I will NOT eat expired food. I would never eat spaghetti sauce that expired 9 years ago.... No thanks. There is a limit and balance to everything.
I think that for this discussion food that is JUST PAST due date is the kinds of foods being discussed.

Really old food.....nope, never consider it !!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, come now!

You've NEVER had a can of food go past date before you use it?
To be fair, I live alone... so I am able to keep it really simple. If there were multiple people living in my house, stuff would get lost more.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
I think that for this discussion food that is JUST PAST due date is the kinds of foods being discussed.

Really old food.....nope, never consider it !!
I was referring to the member in this thread who said they just used spaghetti sauce that expired in 2002.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Of course, there is a limit to everything. Nine years might be the limit, but nine days isn't. There are some people here who wouldn't eat something at 12:09 AM, nine minutes after it expired. Where's the balance?

I've got a box of table salt in my pantry, that has an expiration date on it. Salt is a hundred-milllion years old, and it's not going to suddenly go bad overnight on May 8, 2013.

While canned spaghetti sauce might be doubtful after nine years, what about the spaghetti? What could possibly be wrong with spaghetti that has been in the package uncooked for nine years? Why on earth would you throw out spaghetti that was 9 days past best-by date, with this "balance" that you're so proud of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living