Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I work in close proximity with 7 people and some of them do office gifts at Christmas. Even if I only spend a few bucks each, it adds up. Would it be in poor taste to just do cards? We are all clerks, if it matters. I really am struggling financially.
There's no reason to think you should have to buy gifts. Just let them know so that you don't have an awkward situation if somebody buys something for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
Open and honest communication is the key. If you don't have the money, you should not be buying gifts of any kind and you shouldn't expect any either. If they don't understand this simple fact, don't lose any sleep worrying about them. They are not worth the time or the effort.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
I always find, after Christmas comes the day after. meaning it just lasts a few minutes, then people totally forget about the gifts.

I don't spend a dime on anybody except my kids, I don't feel obligated to buy a gift for everyone I rub shoulders with

Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
To the OP - you shouldn't feel OBLIGATED to get anyone anything. I get for 6 people who I am close with - not for ALL coworkers. If someone gave me just a card, that would fine.

To anyone who thinks people give junk, keep in mind that not everthing is junk. I've had friends give me gloves, which I love and get a lot of use out of. I've gotten a small $5 giftcard to Dunkin Donuts for a friend and they were quite appreciative of it - hey, it was 2 free coffees for her.

I am not into giving knickknacks, or other dust collectors. I find things that are useful and that I know people will appreciate - and doing so CAN be done on a budget, if someone chooses to do so.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM

304 posts, read 617,062 times
Ok, I found pretty mugs for $5.00 and candies to fill them with. Hopefully that will be okay.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
Ok, I found pretty mugs for $5.00 and candies to fill them with. Hopefully that will be okay.
I think that sounds very nice.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Oh, and OP - I know people suggested you bake and you said your weren't a baker. However, there is a VERY simple fudge recipe that is no fail. I make it for the guys in my office every year at this time - and because it gives me an opportunity to have some, but not kepp it around the house .

Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
and that recipe would be....

Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
You can also go to any supermarket fresh bakery section and get a dozen of three or four kinds of cookies, brownies or whatever....get some cello bags....divvy up the cookies in the bags, tie a ribbon around the top of the bag ...and call it a day.

Supermarket bakery sections have containers fresh baked cookies for 2.99 a dozen. sometimes less.
The cello bags and ribbon you can get at the dollar store. Heck the ribbon you may already have from package you got that someone sent you. OR just use a bread tie -- or trash bag tie.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You can also go to any supermarket fresh bakery section and get a dozen of three or four kinds of cookies, brownies or whatever....get some cello bags....divvy up the cookies in the bags, tie a ribbon around the top of the bag ...and call it a day.

Supermarket bakery sections have containers fresh baked cookies for 2.99 a dozen. sometimes less.
The cello bags and ribbon you can get at the dollar store. Heck the ribbon you may already have from package you got that someone sent you. OR just use a bread tie -- or trash bag tie.
I was going to suggest this. You can do this with candy canes, too. Tie them up with a ribbon and a sweet note. Could do this with hot cocoa packets, cider packets, tea bags if they like tea, etc...

Every year we save the ribbon/string/yarn from previous years gifts. I have a huge tub of it. If you do this you'll never have to buy ribbon. For wrapping paper I've used construction paper, old maps, Sunday comics, receipts, paper towels, brown grocery bags turned inside-out, pictures from previous years calendars, coloring book pages, and one time (it was a gag gift) - toilet paper. There are easy tutorials online, too, which show you how to fold your own envelopes so you don't have to buy them. It's a great way to recycle/reuse junk mail!

This year to add a pretty little DIY something to our gift wrapping we made applesauce ornaments. They smell wonderful, are super easy to make (I'm not a really great baker, either... and even I can do these... or you can let them air dry...) and look cute attached to presents, on the tree, or attached to garlands... or make sweet gifts themselves.

Another idea, though, for gifts for your coworkers might be car washes, or movie tickets? An origami paper peace crane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living