Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

Hypermiliing can be dangerous. Overinflating tires increases risk of a blowout. Drafting behind trucks definitely risky. But some of the techniques are good, such as turning off engine at long stoplights, driving at slower speed, removing junk from the trunk. I understand that Wayne Gerdes wants to lose weight so he can get better mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Overinflating tires increases risk of a blowout. .
Not to any degree that would be a significant factor in any real world calculation, unless the tires were allowed to wear to an extent that would raise the risk of a blowout in any case. But overinflated tires will shorten the tire life by maldistribution of the weight load on the center of the tread, and would also negatively impact the traction surface and the cornering behavior, which would be more of a danger.

Over a given mileage, your tire replacement cost will be about 1/10 of your gas consumption. So if you improve your fuel efficiency by 3% and reduce the usable life of your tires by 1/3, it's about a wash. So even something as simple as periodic tire inspection, rotating, and maintaining optimum and equalized pressure could save you as much as anything you can do on an ongoing and daily driving strategy to save on gas.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most drivers, when they become grown-ups, quite naturally drive in a manner that doesn't waste gas. People who drive like teenagers, it does no good to tell them anything.
You can't classify driving styles by age. It just doesn't work like that.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can't classify driving styles by age. It just doesn't work like that.
Then why do kids always roll their eyes when they ride with Grandma? Kids can see the difference, so there must be one.

Insurance companies classify drivers by age, too. They see the difference.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Then why do kids always roll their eyes when they ride with Grandma? Kids can see the difference, so there must be one.
I have two cars. One of which I drive like a non-extreme hypermiler and the other that I drive like a racing driver wannabe. In both cars, I am the same general age.

The grandma thing is a stereotype.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
I do some techniques, I also haul ass at times too. I don't let it affect my driving that much. Mainly I set the cruise control at a good speed vs, 5-10 mph faster, and I coast to a stop more.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
ACtually, from what I've read, the tires can easily be over inflated. They apparently did research with overinflating police car tires. What they found is that the tires actually last longer. The negative effect is that the ride is harsher. If you don't know, semi trucks run much higher tire presures in order to maximize mileage and reduce rolling resistance.

I'm always amazed at how this is supposed to be the land of freedom, and yet so many people seem intent on telling other people exactly how to drive their cars, as though its any of their business. As long as I'm obeying the laws, and not being a hazzard to other drivers its nobody elses business how I drive. And driving 5-10 MPH under the limit is nobody elses business. If I want to drive in the right lane under the speed limit, I can't see why any else would complain. The posted limit is not a required speed.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
ACtually, from what I've read, the tires can easily be over inflated. They apparently did research with overinflating police car tires. What they found is that the tires actually last longer. The negative effect is that the ride is harsher. If you don't know, semi trucks run much higher tire presures in order to maximize mileage and reduce rolling resistance.

I'm always amazed at how this is supposed to be the land of freedom, and yet so many people seem intent on telling other people exactly how to drive their cars, as though its any of their business. As long as I'm obeying the laws, and not being a hazzard to other drivers its nobody elses business how I drive. And driving 5-10 MPH under the limit is nobody elses business. If I want to drive in the right lane under the speed limit, I can't see why any else would complain. The posted limit is not a required speed.
If you're doing that on a freeway with multiple lanes, I absolutely do NOT have any problems with it. I can get around you on a freeway. heck -- I drive at speed limit and people buzz past me constantly...

But on city streets (where I do most of my driving) where it's single lanes, driving under the speed limit and coasting to stop lights, and barely applying the gas at green lights is a hostage drama. In this case *you've* decided how every one else around you will drive.

Whether you like it or not, how you drive affects everyone else, especially when they can't get around you. You're making other people crazy, and they will do crazy things and cause accidents. I saw a head on collision happen from someone driving just like this, and some one else lost it and pulled out to get around him and ran right into a pick up truck. Thank heavens no one had built up speed, and no one was injured -- but this isn't a one off incident. I've seen near misses happen far more, because of this style of driving.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
ACtually, from what I've read, the tires can easily be over inflated. ...The posted limit is not a required speed.
Tires (overinflation) really depend on condition / age of tires, load, road conditions, heat, water,,, That said, I always run mine over inflated, but not by much ~ 10- 20%. My semi runs at 100 - 110PSI, and that is scary... I know what kinda damage that PSI can do (don't ask me how I know... farm kid experiments with metal pressure vessels buried under hay / tires,,,

For hyper-miling, I have done some experiments running a set of the spare 'donut' tires on all 4 (that is not to be attempted on public highways)

RE; Pokey drivers... that CAN be hazardous as stated previously, I feel at risk when I can't keep up with traffic in a small car / bicycle / farm tractor / scooter / old car/truck. I don't worry much when pulling a hill in the semi, BUT I have seen tragic accidents from rear-ending them too. I REALLY am concerned for a Hyper Mileage Honda INSIGHT driver we have in PNW (trying to get 70 mpg). He is usually driving 50 mph. Even on a Freeway that can be dangerous (especially to distracted drivers (cell phone, kids, food, drink, sleepy...). One of my co-drivers have his LOADED semi flipped over from being hit from behind on a freeway by drunk soldiers driving a Lincoln. Law of Physics can be adequately illustrated in freak car accidents. (Hint: we are driving on very thin margin of error (scary thin)).

When driving, be careful for YOU, but also realize the threat you may be to others.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I don't hypermile per se, but I do certain things my friends constitute as Hypermilling. such as:

1) Using cruise control on the freeways when there's no traffic.
2) Driving no more than 65.
3) Gradually accelerating and braking.

Many of the more aggressive hypermilling techniques are too dangerous, imo.. if you get into an accident, you negate the pennies of savings you gained from saving gas.

My car gets about 20% more MPG than the EPA combined estimate but then again, I live in California so the overall warmer weather might be the reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living