Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,967,699 times

Advertisements

The local supermarket sometimes puts 12-packs of Ramen noodles on sale 2 for$4 or 3 for $5. I like to add a handful of frozen mixed veggies (organic peas/carrots/green beans/corn bulk pack from Costco) and a tiny bit of Chinese hot pot seasoning (one pack from the Asian store has lasted us about a year so far). It makes a very satisfying light lunch, especially on a cold day, and we're talking maybe $0.40 total for the meal.

Anyone else use Ramen? A friend likes to break it up into small pieces, uncooked, and sprinkle it over a salad.

On another subject, my parents gave us their old DAK bread maker and a couple of recipe books. I haven't yet figured out the price of a loaf, but it's got to be under $2 which is the cheapest whole wheat that the market sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,116,615 times
yeah there's some pretty good receipes out there for asian salad with ramen, chopped almonds and some kinda like vinegarette dressing. i get sick of ramen pretty quick but always have some around the house. one interesting thing i saw on shark tank a guy was sellling something called the perfect ramen cooker basically allowed you to microwwave ramen noodles and they would come out tasting like you cooked them on the stove which always turned out better for some reason. its like $4 at grocery stores. if you eat ramen alot maybe something to invest in

Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 AM

23,628 posts, read 24,176,423 times
I have eaten ramen since my college days, living off campus. Back then, in the 80's, Top Ramen was something like 12 packs for a $1, now, it is something like 5 packs for a $1.

I still eat ramen once in a while, adding cooked beef, chicken, ham, Spam (Hot & Spicy or Jalapeno flavored), some frozen veggies and a cooked egg. If I want it spicy, I add some Sriracha or Crystal Hot Sauce on it.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM

738 posts, read 1,002,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The local supermarket sometimes puts 12-packs of Ramen noodles on sale 2 for$4 or 3 for $5. I like to add a handful of frozen mixed veggies (organic peas/carrots/green beans/corn bulk pack from Costco) and a tiny bit of Chinese hot pot seasoning (one pack from the Asian store has lasted us about a year so far). It makes a very satisfying light lunch, especially on a cold day, and we're talking maybe $0.40 total for the meal.

Anyone else use Ramen? A friend likes to break it up into small pieces, uncooked, and sprinkle it over a salad.

On another subject, my parents gave us their old DAK bread maker and a couple of recipe books. I haven't yet figured out the price of a loaf, but it's got to be under $2 which is the cheapest whole wheat that the market sells.
Not so sure that if you make bread it will come out less than $2 a loaf if you consider the electricity and/or gas used to bake it. The biggest arguments in favor of baking your own loaf would be mainly for control of the ingredients, taste and (sometimes) convenience.

Of course, if you mill your own wheat which you purchased in bulk, that would probably reduce your price significantly.

RVcook

Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM

48,244 posts, read 22,049,327 times
I fix Ramen for my partner (he's Japanese) about 5 times a week for lunch....ramen or Udon noodles.

I don't use the flavor packet.....I take chicken broth and add some cut up Napa cabbage...and then what ever is in the fridge: options include...tofu, left over pork or chicken, thin sliced pork I have in freezer for ramen, a can of Baby clams or frozen shrimp ; left over veggies; a hard cooked egg cut in half....sometimes some miso paste mixed into the broth, sometimes frozen spinach....its different everytime.....he loves it!

When we are in Japan we go to the Hakata Station in Fukuoka for authentic ramen.....there is also a couple of good ramen restaurants in the train station in Kyoto and near his mothers house in Kitakyushu. If you happen to go to Japan, Kyushu style or Hakata Ramen are the best!

While we are at it.....there is a noodle dish called Champon sold in little restaurants called Ringer Hut.....that is excellent.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Not so sure that if you make bread it will come out less than $2 a loaf if you consider the electricity and/or gas used to bake it. The biggest arguments in favor of baking your own loaf would be mainly for control of the ingredients, taste and (sometimes) convenience.

Of course, if you mill your own wheat which you purchased in bulk, that would probably reduce your price significantly.

RVcook
Hm, $4 for 5 lb bag of flour.
22 cups per 5 lb bag = $0.18 per cup, hence about $0.60 per loaf
plus yeast $0.50, salt $0.005 ??, 2 eggs $0.50, 1/3 cup corn meal $0.25, 2 tb butter $0.30

plus 4 hrs electricity, say $0.25

Maybe $2.50 per loaf. I guess you're right.
Then, too, it's a bigger loaf than the $2 loaves the store sells, so I might still argue it's equal if not cheaper to make your own

Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 PM

738 posts, read 1,002,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Hm, $4 for 5 lb bag of flour.
22 cups per 5 lb bag = $0.18 per cup, hence about $0.60 per loaf
plus yeast $0.50, salt $0.005 ??, 2 eggs $0.50, 1/3 cup corn meal $0.25, 2 tb butter $0.30

plus 4 hrs electricity, say $0.25

Maybe $2.50 per loaf. I guess you're right.
Then, too, it's a bigger loaf than the $2 loaves the store sells, so I might still argue it's equal if not cheaper to make your own
Yes...at $4 per 5 lb. of flour, and a larger loaf, it would probably come out cheaper. I was using my ingredients as a basis for my post so in that instance, my bread would come out closer to $3 per loaf. Still worth it for me though. I haven't purchased bread since the 90's

RVcook

Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,352,884 times
I like good ramen noodles. For example,

Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,509,466 times
It's not too unhealthy if you add veggies and go easy on the seasoning. I always like to get the Asian style instant noodles from their markets rather than the generic Top Ramen and Nissen at regular supermarkets.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I like good ramen noodles. For example,
OMG... that looks good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living