Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,511,720 times

Advertisements

Full article here: 10 Rules for Living on a Budget Without Eating Ramen Every Night

I think the ones in the beginning are key.. the ones near the end are a bit more subjective in their actual value.

The 10 Rules:

1) Apply the 80/20 Rule to your finances.

2) Rightsize your Home

3) Buy Quality When it Comes to Things You Care About

4) Go Cheap On Everything Else

5) Eat What You Want, But Be Careful of Where and When

6) Tame Recurring Expenses

7) Multiply Your Lifestyle by Taking Advantage of Credit Cards

8) Except If You Can’t Control Your Debt

9) Invest in Yourself

10) Except You Shouldn’t Go Back to School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,202,471 times
11) Buy Ramen by the case because there is no way to live on a budget without eating same.

Yum.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
A whole dozen of eggs can cost less than a dozen packages of ramen.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,511,720 times
Frankly, I don't care what ramen, eggs, or even gas costs these days. If I get ripped off a few cents or a few dollars, then so be it. I'd rather spend my effort keeping the big expenses under control and going extremely stingy on the house and car while saving my brain cells over the small expenses.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM

465 posts, read 508,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Frankly, I don't care what ramen, eggs, or even gas costs these days. If I get ripped off a few cents or a few dollars, then so be it. I'd rather spend my effort keeping the big expenses under control and going extremely stingy on the house and car while saving my brain cells over the small expenses.
true but like i live on ssi so i have to worry about all expenses just my 2 cents

Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,318,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I feel exactly the same way BUT -- I think it's good skill set to keep in our arsenal of finances. You just never know when something is going to hit the fan and you're going to need to keep track of ALL the pennies.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,142,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Actually I've purchased ramen cheaper than eggs.

The article quoted has some small points but has so many holes I can drive a semi through it.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Actually I've purchased ramen cheaper than eggs.

The article quoted has some small points but has so many holes I can drive a semi through it.
Yes -- but if you consider the nutrition, you might not buy ramen at all. Ramen is okay I think but it's mostly empty calories.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,873,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

True. There are many deals to be had but one has to look. A box of pasta and a bag of rice can yield many meals and are substantially cheaper than all the Shake n Bake, Heat n Eat, Grab n Go prepared krap that so many people find the money for.

Also, I can't believe the number of people buying fruit individually instead of bagged. You can get a bag of smaller apples for a lot less than buying them individually, and they're probably closer to the size people should be eating, anyway. Wegmans always has the 2-lb bags of plums and nectarines (grown in the U.S.), too, for only $1.99. Same thing goes for the fresh vegetables. Pass by the pre-cut/pre-packaged offerings.

There are bargains to be had if people would only look for them and get out of the convenience habit.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,870,191 times
Interesting list. We are now retired and have plenty of money. We don't really 'budget' ... beyond what we have always done (which, at least for us, is pretty much common sense):

1). Know how much you make and how much discretionary spending you can afford - stick to it
2). Live below your means; - spend less than you make (then save the difference)
3). Save regularly (start with your next raise/increase and 'act like you never got it)
4). Take advantage of matching 401K funds to give yourself a raise.
5). Don't buy things 'just because someone else has them.'
6). Pay your bills on time - Avoid debt wherever possible, particularly for non-essentials.
7). Avoid buying things you can't afford on 'credit'; (What makes you think you'll have more later?)
8). Watch for sales and use coupons and rebates
9). Comparison shop ... on everything - If you can't 'do the math', buy a small calculator.
10). Build a fixed "What if" cushion into your budget. Save the money, if 'what if' doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living