Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM

154 posts, read 421,945 times

Advertisements

Okay, what's the real deal on organics? I mean, how are the pests controlled ? What fertilizer is applied ? What quality of water is used to irrigate ? What does the soil contain for growing medium ? Absolutely ALL organic ? I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there are more.
P.S. Not to mention the price of something you have never seen growing. I know, I know, the Gov. or somebody makes sure it IS organic....hhhmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Okay, what's the real deal on organics? I mean, how are the pests controlled ? What fertilizer is applied ? What quality of water is used to irrigate ? What does the soil contain for growing medium ? Absolutely ALL organic ? I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there are more.
P.S. Not to mention the price of something you have never seen growing. I know, I know, the Gov. or somebody makes sure it IS organic....hhhmmmmmm
Organics are grown in regular soil, amended with compost to fertilize the plants. Sometimes they are watered with compost "tea" which is is water that has soaked compost in it, or just plain water. The "pesticides" used are natural -- like lady bugs, alternative plantings (you see marigolds around some plots because they keep out the snails)

For some thing organics can't be beat -- like strawberries and tomatoes. They really taste like strawberries and tomatoes.

But bananas? You're going to peel that sucker so why bother. And I've noticed no taste difference.

Amusingly enough, I've noticed several times out here that often, organics are cheaper than regular goods -- end of growing season, and the produce is brought to market and the regular stuff is less available, so the price goes up.... but plenty of organic, and the price is low.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
tazy, what i would suggest is you look for small farms around you and go visit. Where do you live? you could try looking on Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food.

in order to be certified organic, i don't know the full process but they need to not have used chemical fertilizer, pesticides, etc. on the land for a few years.
Quote:
Any land used to produce raw organic commodities must not have had prohibited substances applied to it for the past three years. Until the full 36-month transition period is met, you may not:

Sell, label, or represent the product as “organic”

Use the USDA organic or certifying agent’s seal
http://www.epa.gov/oecaagct/torg.htm...ic%20Standards

organic farms range from a 1 acre hand weeded and harvested patch to huge single crop farms in california harvested by illegals making $2/hour.

Last edited by joe moving; 06-29-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
In this area we are seeing a growing movement of small organical farms.

Most are regulated by a local group of farmers that formed in the 1970s [mofga.org], so they pre-date the USDA's recent move into organics.

Most [all] organic farms in my area are open to the public and invite their customers to tour their farms.

If you have doubts, questions or are simply curious, you are certainly welcome to come and see.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Many times, I'll buy organics in small amounts (usu. from Whole Foods) to sample them.. and I'll keep buying the ones that taste great. The supposed health benefits are a plus but I'm mainly after good tasting unprocessed food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living