Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:03 PM

420 posts, read 705,504 times

Advertisements

Anyone try this software? I have used MoneyDance since the summer of 2002. Only reason I remember that is because I wrote a review of it on Amazon. It was a simple alternative to Quicken at the time. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. And yet 10 years later I am still using it.

I think I want something a little more in depth now. Something that will help me manage my budget at the same time help me track my savings/spending. I don't need anything too fancy, that tracks stocks, bonds 401k, etc. I also don't need anything to help me out of debt. I just need something that will track banking/savings and credit cards (we use and pay in full 1 credit card every month).

I've heard positive things about YNAB. Has anyone used it?

What budgeting program do you use, do you like it, what are the pros/cons, and did you pay for it?

Also looking for a spiffy iphone app as well.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just spoke with my boyfriend, and he is interested in an open source program. Thanks!

Last edited by Pansori; 06-13-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Is there a reason you don't like Quicken?

I have been using it since the days of DOS....

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM

811 posts, read 812,068 times
I use MoBill ,doesn't roll over the balance from month to month but free app

Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,405,162 times
I've tried various software progarms over the years - I'm like you , we don't have any debt just an American Express card we pay off each month, some retirement and investment accounts, etc

Anyway, I always end up back to paper and pencil, LOL. I use an regular old accounting journal from Office Depot. My spouse has no time for or interest in "doing the bills" - I just leave the journal in his office so he can take a peek at it from time to time to see where we're at.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,516,043 times
I use Yodlee Money Center.

There is also Mint.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,039,563 times
I use any spreadsheet program that I have available at the time. It just takes making cells and putting in formulas. Every time we want to save or need to trim the fat I put all the bills into a spreadsheet and see where we can trim. it always feels good to do a little better job of trimming each month. also, it good to see where you're at from time to time.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM

18 posts, read 28,286 times
I use YNAB and I love it. I have only used it about 4 mos, but it has really helped me. Very easy to use, easy to make changes, lots of support materials about budgeting and what the software can do. I felt it was well worth the price. There is a free trial too, so you can see if it works well for you.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
No, not if you are a card-carrying frugal you don't need a budget. You are already living on less than your income.

I have my Social Security income deposited to my checking account. I pay all living expenses from that. When the balance goes over about $2,500, I donate about a thousand to some worthy cause, to keep the balance between 1500-2500..

Everything except rent check is charged to credit card, which I pay in full every month. Not only do they loan me money at zero interest and give me cash back on my purchases, but they send me a paper statement every month of everything I spent. Killer system -- highly recommended.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM

420 posts, read 705,504 times
Pitt Chick, to answer your question, I was much younger when I got into finances, and was also new to computers. At the time I found Quicken to be overwhelming. I am sure I can manage it just fine now, so I suppose it is a prejudice that carried over from youth that I never considered Quicken.

I have also tried going back to paper and pen, but I am just way to adjusted to the computer at this point. I will have to look at Yodlee, never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, not if you are a card-carrying frugal you don't need a budget.

Hmm, well I beg to differ... it's been my experience that everyone needs some sort of budget, whether or not they are a card carrying frugal. I am actually excellent at budgeting for my bills and savings, YNAB software was just one program I had heard quite a few good reviews about.

Yuritoad, I did download the trial version, but our finances are kind of in an upheaval right now. We're in the process of switching banks. I moved all of our savings and deposited one check into the new account, but I still have quite a bit in the old, and I'm still paying bills out of that one. I'm working on getting everything moved over, and want to start with a clean slate.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM

502 posts, read 1,656,568 times
I just use an Excel spreadsheet. It's saved on Google Docs so my husband and I can access it whenever and whenever we need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living