Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I'm heading out to Flagstaff/Sedona/Kingman for a few days, and I Googled Thrift Stores in those areas, and I'm planning on hitting most of them on my trip, hunting for bargains, and perhaps the bargains will help pay for the trip! Gee whiz! Could it happen? A free trip?

I also need to get out of town as well!

I was down Yuma way, in April, did the same thing, googled thrift stores in Yuma, and points in between, hit every thrift store in Yuma, came back with a big book of books (love to read) and I never paid more than $2 for any of them. So, using a calculator, was it a free trip?

Anyone else crazy enough to take frugality to these lengths? Oh Gee! Sure hope I don't have car problems along the way! A nasty $1000 repair/towing bill would leave me red-faced with embarrassment! Broken axle from too much weight in the trunk?

Last edited by tijlover; 08-28-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,139,265 times
I usually do that too...google to find thrift stores! I'd love to go to the "lost luggage" store in Mississippi (I think).

Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM

296 posts, read 638,662 times
loved the lost luggage flagship store in alabama. got alot of saris and african print robes/tunics. always smart to thrift store shop...takes care of the need to souvenir shop on vacation plus you can get clothes that noone dropped off at your local place. embarrassing to buy something then someone say hey i just dropped off a shirt just like that at goodwill. not that i would know or anything.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I usually visit thrift shops or flea markets when I travel. It's not the point of my vacations, but can be a nice way to find an affordable souvenir. I got some ultra-cheap Norwegian sweaters in a Salvation Army in Norway once. I could have never afforded to buy one new.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm heading out to Flagstaff/Sedona/Kingman for a few days, and I Googled Thrift Stores in those areas, and I'm planning on hitting most of them on my trip, hunting for bargains, and perhaps the bargains will help pay for the trip! Gee whiz! Could it happen? A free trip? ?

I cannot speak for Arizona. However, in New Mexico (especially around Gallup), there were some great deals available in pawn shops that sell native crafts and other merchandise.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
When I head up to Zion Nat'l Park in Utah, I wouldn't leave that area without stopping at that huge Mormon-run Deseret Thrift Store in St. George, UT! Thank God it's not on the tourist circuit!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
When I head up to Zion Nat'l Park in Utah, I wouldn't leave that area without stopping at that huge Mormon-run Deseret Thrift Store in St. George, UT! Thank God it's not on the tourist circuit!!!
LOL! That sounds so funny to someone living in Utah. It's kind of like someone saying, "Make sure you visit Goodwill while you're in Boston." I guess that since this is a thread on thirft store vacations, Deseret Industries is as good a stop as any. I just can't imagine taking a thift store vacation in the first place, I guess.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
I can't say I've ever made it the focus of a trip, but I do tend to hit the local thrift stores when I travel. If I'm in the Midwest or the south I usually just hit the ones I happen to drive by or are near whatever hotel I'm staying in, but If I head west I make it a point to use Google to find any that are remotely close to my route. I often perform at western-themed events so I'm always looking for Wrangler jeans, cowboy shirts, and western-cut suit coats, which are hard to find at thrift stores here in Iowa but fairly common west of the Missouri. Plus We use a lot of "cowboy" items to decorate our house and they tend to be easier to find in thrift stores out there.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
I don't specifically plan a trip just to buy things frugally..

Although if I happen to be traveling to Hong Kong, I'll go on a spending spree and buy up all the electronics, tablets, etc. that I've been yearning to get for years.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
Anyone else crazy enough to take frugality to these lengths?
We're too "frugal" to take a vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living