Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM

460 posts, read 984,447 times

Advertisements

I have been saving at least 25% of my after-tax income every year since college ended. Some of my friends and acquaintances spend a lot, judging by my facebook newsfeed. We are talking about:
- International travel
- Fine dining
- Electronic gadgets
- Domestic travel to resorts like Las Vegas or Cancun

I spend very little on these things and hope my discipline will pay off long-term when it comes to home ownership. I am not a doctor or lawyer and never desired to be either one, so my income is not going to be in the top 5%. A typical house in SF is 700K and I really want to stay here. Anybody in my shoes who are well along in years want to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,228,741 times
It is not how much you make, it is how much you save. The more you earn, the more you spend on things you really don't need. Don't replace your wants,just replace your needs. Make your savings work for you. Try to achieve 6 or 7 percent on your savings.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
It is not how much you make, it is how much you save. The more you earn, the more you spend on things you really don't need. Don't replace your wants,just replace your needs. Make your savings work for you. Try to achieve 6 or 7 percent on your savings.

I saved more than 30% in the East Bay and still around 25% in SF. Housing here is ridiculously pricey even for a modest 3-bedroom and am afraid some of my "friends" will not get to homeownership.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,526,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I have been saving at least 25% of my after-tax income every year since college ended. Some of my friends and acquaintances spend a lot, judging by my facebook newsfeed. We are talking about:
- International travel
- Fine dining
- Electronic gadgets

I spend very little on these things and hope my discipline will pay off long-term when it comes to home ownership. I am not a doctor or lawyer and never desired to be either one, so my income is not going to be in the top 5%. A typical house in SF is 700K and I really want to stay here. Anybody in my shoes who are well along in years want to comment?
Sounds like the 'good life' I'd like to live once I get 'rich'. I seriously could care less about housing or a nice car but you only live once and those experiences are what make life worth living in the first place.

I've spent more on a single vacation than the KBB of my car or an entire year's worth of rent (I won't give you any cold hard number yet.) That should give you a clue where my priorities lie.

Fyi, I currently make less than the US median salary and live in a high cost of living area.. and still save about 40% of my after-tax income, thanks to frugality.

Last edited by ragnarkar; 12-17-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,394,671 times
Quote:
- International travel
- Fine dining
- Electronic gadgets

So what are you really trying to say here? Why are you so concerned that your friends should own homes? Home ownership is not the end-all, be-all and not everyone aspires to own a home. Some people value life experiences more.

Do your friends make substantially more than you? My husband's cousin spends money like it is nothing but he is already retired, owns his own home and obviously has substantial retirement income that affords him this lifestyle.

My husband and I make "okay" money. We also live in a high cost of living area (comparable or even more expensive than SF) and even though we save somewhere closer to 50% of our income, we will probably never be able to purchase a house here.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So what are you really trying to say here? Why are you so concerned that your friends should own homes? Home ownership is not the end-all, be-all and not everyone aspires to own a home. Some people value life experiences more.

Do your friends make substantially more than you? My husband's cousin spends money like it is nothing but he is already retired, owns his own home and obviously has substantial retirement income that affords him this lifestyle.

My husband and I make "okay" money. We also live in a high cost of living area (comparable or even more expensive than SF) and even though we save somewhere closer to 50% of our income, we will probably never be able to purchase a house here.

Clarification- we need to save a lot in a high COL area. What good is it to live the life of luxury if you cannot buy a house *and* pay off the mortgage before retirement? My goal is to pay off a mortgage by age 60, even in the Bay Area. Good luck paying rent on your posh apartment when you retire.

The down payment alone is 150,000 to 200,000. That's why I am saying no to international travel.

*My income is above the median. Only friends who are lawyers/doctors make substantially more.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM

33,034 posts, read 36,620,697 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...ste-money.html

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM

34,183 posts, read 83,333,306 times
Quote:
I am not a doctor or lawyer...
A typical house in SF is 700K and I really want to stay here.
Anybody in my shoes who are well along in years want to comment?
You've learned discipline but the next lesson is leverage.

Could you buy an OKish house and be the landlord?
Live in the smallest of the rooms then rent out the others to pay the bills?
Really pay them all including the inevitable repairs?

If so... in a few years you might be able to be in the nicer house.
Be careful.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,282,543 times
Quote:
Clarification- we need to save a lot in a high COL area. What good is it to live the life of luxury if you cannot buy a house *and* pay off the mortgage before retirement? My goal is to pay off a mortgage by age 60, even in the Bay Area. Good luck paying rent on your posh apartment when you retire.

The down payment alone is 150,000 to 200,000. That's why I am saying no to international travel.

*My income is above the median. Only friends who are lawyers/doctors make substantially more.
You need to move my friend. 150k-200k can buy you quite a lavish house in ohio. You may like it in SF...but be prepared to pay more for everything! But if you got the money then who cares. Everybody has different priorities. Your friends like to go on vacation. I hate planes or boats so my vacations are always within 12 hours of driving and we don't go often.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,809,303 times
In SF, the rent versus own debate could potentially get complicated by rent control laws. If you have a decent apartment that you like (and that is covered by rent control, which many are, at least in the city of SF), you may have less incentive to buy.

Your friends may not care as much about owning a home. Not everyone does. Maybe they plan to rent for life (which of course they should factor into their plans as they save for the future). Maybe they don't plan to retire in San Francisco. Not everyone has the same priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living