Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 12:58 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times

Advertisements

Too funny Aliss!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Took my two toddlers to ride the coin machines at the mall, without the coins. They didn't even care!!!
I remember those frugal entertainment days.

Kind of like running through someone else sprinklers to cool off or window shopping while riding the free shuttle bus without ever getting off and spending.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,561 times
For what I am guessing to be less than $3, not including electric to power the oven, I made 16 yeast rolls and 12 cinnamon rolls. Yeast would have been my most expensive ingredient but I purchased the packets for less than 50 cent with a doubling coupon.

Picked up 10 videos from the library yesterday, FREE

Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Yes to using the library! The library is tax supported; you might at as well use it. I check out books electronically for my Kindle Paperwhite. If you have young kids, there will be a free storytime. If you like magazines, there will be plenty to browse and check out. Not to mention the DVDs and audio books.

Just pay attention to the due dates!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,395 times
I used a coupon at Wendy's for lunch: a free cheeseburger with the purchase of a soft drink and fries. I ordered medium fries and a medium Coke. I spent about $3.60 total on lunch. Great deal.

-Cheers.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
I started reading this thread from the very beginning. A couple of posts mentioned taking 3-minute showers.

Are the posters being sarcastic or are they exaggerating? How is a 3-minute shower possible? I wouldn't even have all my hair wet enough for shampoo in three minutes! A 3-minute shower poses all sorts of questions from yours truly. None of which have an appealing answer.

My ex-SO's pre-teen son would be in the shower for 3-minutes and we would make him go back in and wash thoroughly.

I don't get it.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 PM

317 posts, read 747,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I started reading this thread from the very beginning. A couple of posts mentioned taking 3-minute showers.

Are the posters being sarcastic or are they exaggerating? How is a 3-minute shower possible? I wouldn't even have all my hair wet enough for shampoo in three minutes! A 3-minute shower poses all sorts of questions from yours truly. None of which have an appealing answer.

My ex-SO's pre-teen son would be in the shower for 3-minutes and we would make him go back in and wash thoroughly.

I don't get it.
Soon in California you'll only be allowed a one gallon shower the way things are going!

Last edited by delmioquartiere; 02-18-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,168 times
I can do a 3 minute shower if I don't wash my hair or shave my legs, but that's a rarity.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
There is NO way I can only do a 3-minute shower. Is that washing the important parts or skipping the important parts? And if I had to skip shaving any of the parts I shave, I just wouldn't feel like I took a shower.

That would be an important date question. ROTFLMAO

If I was limited to a gallon of water in CA, I wouldn't live in CA. I will lower the temp in my house and sit in the cold if I have to in order to afford a water bill that allows me about 20 minutes of water everyday.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
I don't remember the 3 minute shower post, but I wonder if they meant 3 minutes of water, not 3 minutes total time in the shower? I have long hair, so I couldn't do it when I wash my hair, but other days I get away with 3 minutes of water.

I have a shut off valve on the shower so I wet down and turn it off (or to a trickle in the winter when I need it to stay warm) then wash my face. I turn the water on to wash the face soap out of the wash cloth then turn it off again while I use body soap to lather up the rest of my body. I might have to turn it on to rinse my washcloth out once, and turn it on a couple times for just a few seconds to rinse my razor and then turn the water on full blast to rinse all the soap off which doesn't take more than 30 or 45 seconds.

As long as I turn it off when I'm not actively rinsing something, I doubt I use more than 3 minutes of water, but I'm in the shower for 10 or 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living