Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM

102 posts, read 246,890 times

Advertisements

When there is a place that can be purchased for 35,000 but needs many things done to it, is it a better option than to build your own modest home...assuming you do all work aside from foundation? I ask this because I have this option, but maybe it is not as practical as I think to just start fresh. The place that already exists could be lived in, but it's all old...has damage and such. Needs new windows, new window frames that have rotted, new siding or a paint that would stick to it, a new roof in 2-3 years, new wiring to replace knob and tube, and some foundation repair to basement wall so the settling cracks are not so serious looking. That all costs time and money, more time than money I assume. The other option it to just start fresh, worry free, with a small home design. Small to me would be something efficient but not crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM

3,522 posts, read 7,805,201 times
It's almost always cheaper to build your own house then to buy, but the 35k sounds pretty cheap and if you can live in the house while doing renovations you will come out way ahead. It's worth hiring a home inspector, usually they can give you a general idea what things cost to fix/replace to see if it's worth it to buy this house.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM

24,419 posts, read 27,112,777 times
The cost of building a new home starts around $79 per square foot and up, so you can calculate it yourself.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM

34,176 posts, read 83,298,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
When there is a place that can be purchased for 35,000 but needs many things done to it...
Needs new windows, new window frames that have rotted, new siding or a paint that would stick to it,
a new roof in 2-3 years, new wiring to replace knob and tube, and some foundation repair...
You're describing a tear down.
You're paying (too much at $35,000) for an address and land in/near something that
might actually have some value. Is it an in town lot near good schools?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
It's almost always cheaper to build your own house then to buy, but the 35k sounds pretty cheap and if you can live in the house while doing renovations you will come out way ahead. It's worth hiring a home inspector, usually they can give you a general idea what things cost to fix/replace to see if it's worth it to buy this house.
Around here the home inspector doesn't know much.

It would be different costs since I would do the work rather than hire it. From my own inspection I see what needs done, which is what I listed above.

Things that would need work:
New Siding or New Paint that would stick to the siding.
New Windows..eventually
New Window Trim and bottom sill (rotten)
Foundation settling cracks patched
Grading around house to slope water away
New Shingles, possibly some new under layment too in ~3 years
New Wiring, to update old
Insulation (none existent)
Install Reverse Osmosis system
Install Dishwasher (out of preference)
Renovate basement, it's just one open room for now.

The new house option would mean EVERYTHING needs done, with likely a 32' x 36' layout, with a full basement. Well and Septic system would also need installed.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The cost of building a new home starts around $79 per square foot and up, so you can calculate it yourself.
I know this varies on location. Would that figure be labor included or just materials?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're describing a tear down.
You're paying (too much at $35,000) for an address and land in/near something that
might actually have some value. Is it an in town lot near good schools?
It's a small town, and the location is just out of town...nothing bad. The other option would to be building on land that costs 5k (no utilities, well, septic system...etc). However, it would not need any special grading work as it is all flat where the home would be built. Location is maybe a bit better too, but that all can be rationalized.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,885,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Around here the home inspector doesn't know much.

It would be different costs since I would do the work rather than hire it. From my own inspection I see what needs done, which is what I listed above.

Things that would need work:
New Siding or New Paint that would stick to the siding.
New Windows..eventually
New Window Trim and bottom sill (rotten)
Foundation settling cracks patched
Grading around house to slope water away
New Shingles, possibly some new under layment too in ~3 years
New Wiring, to update old
Insulation (none existent)
Install Reverse Osmosis system
Install Dishwasher (out of preference)
Renovate basement, it's just one open room for now.

The new house option would mean EVERYTHING needs done, with likely a 32' x 36' layout, with a full basement. Well and Septic system would also need installed.
So, what you are describing is a $35,000 home that will conservatively cost you another $30,000
plus time/effort to 'fix what needs to be done (?). On the other hand, I'm not sure what kind of a house one can actually build for $35,000 these days, but, a valid comparison should probably start with looking at the actual "cost" to get what you want, ... instead of simply a lower initial "price."

Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
So, what you are describing is a $35,000 home that will conservatively cost you another $30,000
plus time/effort to 'fix what needs to be done (?). On the other hand, I'm not sure what kind of a house one can actually build for $35,000 these days, but, a valid comparison should probably start with looking at the actual "cost" to get what you want, ... instead of simply a lower initial "price."
Yes that is all true. The location is the only reason this house is being considered. If I pass it up, I really would rather build instead then on the land I have found and like. I dislike being confined to city ordinances and in-town people.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,335,473 times
You can buy all the materials for a decent house the size you're looking at for $50K or so not counting the foundation or any additional work that would need to be done to the property (septic, etc). So from a strictly financial perspective it would make much more sense to build new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living