Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM

685 posts, read 1,105,121 times

Advertisements

Not all of them, but a majority of the outlets I have been to recently have clothing priced as high or even higher then going to the regular retail store. "Outlets" like say Carters or Baby Gap are in no way even outlets. At Carter's the prices are EXACTLY the same as their retail stores and Baby Gap, the clothing is even more expensive and the clothing line is designed specifically for the outlet stores. I prefer the retail merchandise over the outlet stuff. The Children's Place and the adult Gap store are the same way. I'm a sale shopper and find great deals just going through the clearance rack or buying their clothes online using promotion codes. I ALWAYS end up paying less then the outlets. I will say there are some stores that DO have bargains, like BCBG or high end stores like Cole Haan, which I've gotten handbags for hundreds less off retail, and Kenneth Cole. I know 2 people who swear by the outlets, but I just don't get it. Ann Taylor for example, I've had sweaters loose their shape and look like crap after one wash. I would go out on a limb and so it's made from a different material vs. the retail stores. So, does anyone else not care for clothing outlets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
From what I've seen they aren't the "deal" that you'd think they are.

Better deals at consignment stores or Goodwill/Salvation army

Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Not all of them, but a majority of the outlets I have been to recently have clothing priced as high or even higher then going to the regular retail store. "Outlets" like say Carters or Baby Gap are in no way even outlets. At Carter's the prices are EXACTLY the same as their retail stores and Baby Gap, the clothing is even more expensive and the clothing line is designed specifically for the outlet stores. I prefer the retail merchandise over the outlet stuff. The Children's Place and the adult Gap store are the same way. I'm a sale shopper and find great deals just going through the clearance rack or buying their clothes online using promotion codes. I ALWAYS end up paying less then the outlets. I will say there are some stores that DO have bargains, like BCBG or high end stores like Cole Haan, which I've gotten handbags for hundreds less off retail, and Kenneth Cole. I know 2 people who swear by the outlets, but I just don't get it. Ann Taylor for example, I've had sweaters loose their shape and look like crap after one wash. I would go out on a limb and so it's made from a different material vs. the retail stores. So, does anyone else not care for clothing outlets?
Many of the most well-known clothing stores make lines specifically for their outlets, and those lines are of a lower quality.

The only place I've had good luck is J. Crew's outlet but it's not worth driving all the way to the outlet mall specifically to shop there. If you want cheap low-quality t-shirts, might as well save your gas and wear and tear on the car and buy them at Target.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
No.

This is a crock:

These are clothing outlets:

Totally different, IMHO.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post

Yup. The quality is never the same.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
It is well known that the merchandise in outlet stores is made specifically for the outlets. It isn't overruns (usually) or things that haven't sold.

Having said that, we did find jeans for DH in an Eddie Bauer outlet recently. And I have, from time to time, bought things from outlets.

The Carter store I have shopped in had very reasonable prices. I understood that the store functioned as an outlet. I haven't shopped in any other Carter's outlet though. Another source for Carter's baby clothes is Kohl's and the merchandise there is also quite reasonable. Kohl's doesn't carry Carter's for older kids however.

I suspect that the merchandise is variable depending on the policies of the various stores. As always, buyer beware.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,121 times
Oh, don't get me started on Kohl's lol. I know a lot of people love that store, I hate it. Their sales are huge rip-offs, basically what the price of the item should just be starting at. They mark everything up, then have fake sales. They had an article written about it a while back.I have to laugh at some of the absurd prices in that place. Even with the Kohl's cash, to me it's not worth it. You can still get Carter's clothes cheaper at Carter's then ever buying it from that place, unless on gold-star clearance.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Many of the most well-known clothing stores make lines specifically for their outlets, and those lines are of a lower quality.

The only place I've had good luck is J. Crew's outlet but it's not worth driving all the way to the outlet mall specifically to shop there. If you want cheap low-quality t-shirts, might as well save your gas and wear and tear on the car and buy them at Target.
I didn't know that! I stopped shopping outlets a long time ago when I noticed the prices were higher than the regular store sales prices.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No.

This is a crock:

These are clothing outlets:

Totally different, IMHO.
Thanks for the great laugh!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Yeah, I don't bother going to outlet malls near Chicago. But in Texas I got 2 good skirt suits from a Tahari Outlet store, but they weren't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living