Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Six months without changing my lifestyle, but I could fairly easily have another job before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
With no health insurance? Only 'til the cancer killed me. Up until I got cancer I could have lived until my retirement income kicked in.
This. Before I got cancer, I had a year's worth of rent in the bank, which could have sustained me in conjunction with unemployment. Now, unemployment won't pay for all of my bills (high cost of living area) and my medical expenses are out of control.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,899 times
oh.. im not the op, but Im just saying, you have to factor in the transportation costs when you are out of a job, which will greatly be less money.

I spend about 200 per month on gas to go to work, and if i factor in wear and tear, mileage and loss of value of me car due to mileage, I can save 250 per month on transportation since I will only use the car for errands if i didnt have a job.

my answer: 3 years.. it feels good that I can walk off my job/not get scared of getting fired. there is a price to being frugal, and its not enjoying life, but I value security more, some of my co workers are so scared of getting fired that they are so stressed out, unhappy, and they spend foolishly.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
there is a price to being frugal, and its not enjoying life
...I see it more as trade-offs. You can afford one thing, but not the other thing. So you have to make decisions. Im cool with that.

I think being frugal, or downshifting, in living a minimal life, is sort of good training anyway in the event of being fired or layed-off. I assum that you'd be getting unemployment anyway, so add how ever many months of unemployment to the money you have saved....

Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
...I see it more as trade-offs. You can afford one thing, but not the other thing. So you have to make decisions. Im cool with that.

I think being frugal, or downshifting, in living a minimal life, is sort of good training anyway in the event of being fired or layed-off. I assum that you'd be getting unemployment anyway, so add how ever many months of unemployment to the money you have saved....
yes, with unemployment i can survive much longer.

for me I have quit a few jobs in my life before, either the bosses were not good people morally or the company/co workers/pay was no good. I simply quit and I still survived without worrying, and i have seen co workers cry while getting written up, fired, etc. for myself, I would never want to get to that point.

call me old fashioned, when I was younger, my co workers would go to bars after work/clubs on weekends, and we made 12 an hour. well after taxes its about 10 an hour, and they asked me to come every week. I went once and never went back, I cant swallow the fact that, one shot costs 8 bucks, and after tax and tips, its 10 bucks already. it takes 1 second to take a shot, while it takes 1 hour to make that 10 bucks. 3600 seconds to work to enjoy 1 second of pleasure. no thanks if i made more, then its fine.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I went once and never went back, I cant swallow the fact that, one shot costs 8 bucks, and after tax and tips, its 10 bucks already. it takes 1 second to take a shot, while it takes 1 hour to make that 10 bucks
....yeah, I used to be one of those people. No longer!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
....yeah, I used to be one of those people. No longer!

lol if everyone was like us bars would close, people would loose jobs, and it trickles down to everyone..

If i do take shots, I just buy the darn bottle and drink at home or with friends.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Well, for me it was beer and ...to get started....a shot or two as chaser. The prices were cheaper compared to what you cite, but this stuff still adds up. Now, with these microbrew things on tap for $5 & up. Sorry, I'm busted...can't afford, don't want to afford, that....

My drinking is a single bottle with some good meal I've cooked up from some old recipe....a special thing, not an every-weekend thing.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Yeah, anyway, savings. I figure that if I got unemployment add that to the 4 years. But I also think that given the super-tight job market, 4 or 5 years to find a job is probably a realistic thing to expect....

Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I'd like to say 3 years. Maybe more with stock trading??

-Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living