Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times

Advertisements

OP, suggest you go to the Drugstore/Grocery forum at slickdeals-dot-net.

It can be VERY intimidating to start doing this on a regular basis with the goal of getting free stuff. I used to go in with my heart pounding, certain that it would never work and cashiers would accuse me of trying to steal. But that fades after a while, once you learn the ropes, find the coupon-friendly cashiers, and get more confident in your strategies. The thing about that SD forum is that nobody is going to encourage you to use coupons incorrectly, and the scenarios that are outlined there are vetted by the best couponers around.

There is a sticky at the top of the drugstore/grocery forum titled "New couponers, don't be scared, you can do this!"
READ IT all the way through and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Then find the local grocery and national drugstore chain threads for the ones you use, and subscribe to them. READ first. Until you've got a few weeks under your belt, just read. Go back to the "new couponer" thread and ask questions if anything is confusing.

There is a coupon train on SD, I think, but I don't participate so can't be more helpful there.
There is a thread listing online sites to buy coupons.
There is a thread listing every coupon in every upcoming insert, and it's posted in advance so you can know what Sundays to stock up on papers (or scrounge for extras somehow)
There is a weekly thread for every major drugstore.
There are continuous rolling threads for Target, Wal-Mart, and all the grocery stores.

You will be overwhelmed by the information at first. Again, just read, go to the new couponer thread to ask your questions (SDers don't take kindly to new posters asking basic questions in the weekly threads - they are too fast-moving)

It's better to start there and learn right than to go to the mommy blogs, where incorrect coupon usage and impossible-to-duplicate scenarios are the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,652,077 times
Thank you for the information about slickdeals-dot-net. I may check them out.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCoupon321 View Post
I live in the Triad area of N.C. and want to really save money at the grocery stores due to being a struggling single mother. I have a college student son living at home and a middle schooler daughter who plays sports. I only survive off of disability and a "few dollars" on my food stamp card (literally). I need all the advise I can get in how to start and continue to extreme coupon in the local areas. I need to know what local stores (especially in Greensboro, NC) allow double couponing, what are the best ways to get the coupons without buying them or dumpster diving, and what tips do you have? Thanks in advance.

LadyCoupon321
a. Food Lion does not double.
b. Lowes Foods and Bi-Lo double up to 99 cents and Bi-Lo has ZVR's you can use on top of a manufacturer coupon.
c. Harris Teeter doubles up to 99 cents and has Super Doubles or Triples, about once a month. They also have ZVR's where you can stack coupons.
d. Publix does double up to 50 cents and has store coupons that can be used on top of the manufacturer coupon.
e. Walmart and Target.....well why shop there when you have b. and c. above?

There are coupon sites where you trade paypal handling fee, stamps, concealed, or BTFE, or coupons you have on hand, for coupons that you need. Or get family, friends, and neighbors to save you their Sunday inserts.

All stores have limits now, so extreme couponing (as implied by the TV show) is not real.

Ask any questions you have.

You do live in (or live on the edge of) Coupon Heaven whether you know it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living