Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times

Advertisements

Roku is introducing a $50 direct competitor to Chromecast ($35). The previous Roku stick required a special kind of HDMI port (called MHL enabled) which was only available on a limited number of TV's. The new one uses standard HDMI port and the USB port as an option for power (like the Chromecast).

Why the $15 higher price? The main reason seems to be while you can operate the Roku stick with a table or smartphone (like the Chromecast) you can also operate it with an included remote control which is designed to wrap it's signal around the TV so that it sees the Roku stick behind the TV.

I admit to having a little skepticism about the remote operations, as previous remotes needed to have some line of sight to the sensor. But all in all, I think it is a better deal. I haven't bought a Chromecast as I don't like to be tied to a tablet.

For ultra frugal TV watching, you can now buy a 19" TV for $100 that weighs around 6 lbs, and a $50 Roku HDMI stick and carry it around the house or dorm and only require a simple power plug and possibly an antenna. At Best Buy an Insignia™ 19" Class - LED - 720p - HDTV DVD Combo has an MSRP of $149 which would add DVD capabilities as well (Model: NS-19ED200NA14). Your monthly expenses would consist of internet with wireless plus Netflix or Amazon.

If you don't get good antenna service where you are, perhaps you can persuade a friend in a big city to send over his antenna signal to your Roku. The old style SimpleTV with lifetime subscription are being sold for about $118. Although these older design units are limited in functionality, the newer models cost $400 with lifetime subscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Why the $15 higher price? The main reason seems to be while you can operate the Roku stick with a table or smartphone (like the Chromecast) you can also operate it with an included remote control which is designed to wrap it's signal around the TV so that it sees the Roku stick behind the TV.
The Roku 3 remote uses WiFi, not IR, so it doesn't need a line of sight. The remote for the new Roku stick uses WiFi too. So it's not "designed to wrap it's signal". The remote just need to be in range of the same WiFi network as the Roku stick. There are no sensor on the stick itself.

Last edited by gnomatic; 03-05-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,249 times
+1 to the remote being on wifiAnother nice thing about the Roku is you can use the Roku app to turn your smartphone or tablet into the remote.

With the Roku stick you are also going to be able to "sling" content from a tablet/laptop/smartphone right to your TV. I don't know if/how this functionality will integrate with the remote apps...

Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Roku unveils $50 Streaming Stick - CNN.com

Quote:
... Sticks are the new boxes, at least when it comes to getting the Internet on your television.

... The new Roku stick is about the size of a pack of gum and will be available in April.

... the Streaming Stick will pop into any HDMI port, making it compatible with many more televisions.

... Both sticks require a separate power source, either through a USB port on the back of the TV or by plugging into a wall.
Our TV does not have a HDMI port.

So to get the WWW onto our TV this stick connects to our phone line?

The article does not say how the stick connects to the WWW, only how it connects to a TV.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

So to get the WWW onto our TV this stick connects to our phone line?

The article does not say how the stick connects to the WWW, only how it connects to a TV.
It connects to the internet via WiFi. The Roku stick would not work for you since your TV does not have a HDMI port.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I was able to buy a brand new out of the box 19" HDTV with an HDMI port for $79.99 (on sale) at Best Buy (house brand). It's better to get rid of your cathode ray televisions now while you can still find places that will dispose of them for free. If you wait until they are dead, you may have to pay a lot to get rid of them.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I was able to buy a brand new out of the box 19" HDTV with an HDMI port for $79.99 (on sale) at Best Buy (house brand). It's better to get rid of your cathode ray televisions now while you can still find places that will dispose of them for free. If you wait until they are dead, you may have to pay a lot to get rid of them.
My Dw and I both have laptops. They are plugged into large monitors. We both watch media via our 'broadband' connection from our phone line.

Our Tv sits unused ever since they stopped high-power Tv broadcast, in favor of low-power digital broadcast. Before, our township used to get one 'local' Tv station. Now to get that Tv station basically requires paying for a satellite dish. Some homes here have gone to satellite dish, others have just gone without.

We are fairly happy with Netflix. The buffering is a pain at times.

I am trying to keep up-to-date on these forums with how the industry is changing, and what else is available.

As for getting rid of the old for 'free'. Our township does not have a dump. Anytime that I haul trash to any neighboring township's dump it costs me a few dollars.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
We are fairly happy with Netflix. The buffering is a pain at times.

I am trying to keep up-to-date on these forums with how the industry is changing, and what else is available.

As for getting rid of the old for 'free'. Our township does not have a dump. Anytime that I haul trash to any neighboring township's dump it costs me a few dollars.
A lot of the dumps don't want CRT's. The local Best Buy will recycle the CRT's, and take them for free. But as the market dries up overseas, they are likely to discontinue this program. Best to get rid of your CRT now.

The township where I live does not get antenna reception very well (except PBS, local news, and religious station). But cable is alive and well. You can get 25 Mbps internet for $40-$50 a month in a many places. If you deign to be thrifty, you can tap off that for VOIP and Netflix, otherwise you must shell out $125-$200 a month for a triple play.

DSL is a dying business. Unfortunately you probably won't be getting any speed upgrades to help with your buffering problem. Zuckerburg is talking about solar powered unmanned airborne vehicles that will circle for up to 5 years at a height of 65,000' . They can carry a 25 pound payload, which should deliver internet to an area like yours (at higher speeds than dsl).

I have positive things abou EXEDE in rural areas: EXEDE Internet - high speed internet from space

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-12-2014 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed URL

Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
A lot of the dumps don't want CRT's.
It has been many years since the last time I dealt with a town dump. My town does not have one. So I have no idea of what a dump will take.

Quote:
... The township where I live does not get antenna reception very well (except PBS, local news, and religious station). But cable is alive and well.
You are very fortunate to live in a town that has cable. It is too rural here.

Quote:
... DSL is a dying business. Unfortunately you probably won't be getting any speed upgrades to help with your buffering problem. Zuckerburg is talking about solar powered unmanned airborne vehicles that will circle for up to 5 years at a height of 65,000' . They can carry a 25 pound payload, which should deliver internet to an area like yours (at higher speeds than dsl).
We have 'dsl', but ... From each fiber-optic node, they over-exceeded how many miles the twisted-wire pairs can run to still carry the full bandwidth. If I lived within a couple miles of the node, I would get much better bandwidth. But the node itself is not in our township, it is in a neighboring township.

It is what we have. Most townships in my region of the state only have dial-up. No cellphone repeater towers either. So for this region, I am very fortunate.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
+1 to the remote being on wifiAnother nice thing about the Roku is you can use the Roku app to turn your smartphone or tablet into the remote.

With the Roku stick you are also going to be able to "sling" content from a tablet/laptop/smartphone right to your TV. I don't know if/how this functionality will integrate with the remote apps...
I just downloaded and installed the free Roku App on my iPod Touch, and it works great!

It signs me onto my Roku account, and connects to my Roku 3 device via WiFi.

It gives me a full function remote control for the Roku, which I can read in the dark.

It lets me see what channels are currently installed on my Roku.

It accesses the Roku store.

And it also allows me to view pictures and videos on the Roku. I'm guessing this is if I plug a USB drive into the Roku device, which has pics and video on it.

Thanks for mentioning this app!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living