Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 PM

71 posts, read 219,663 times

Advertisements

Leaving a modern cell phone charger plugged in uses very very little electricity. Maybe a few pennies a year. If you want to save electricity there are better ways to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:56 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks! Good to know and thanks for not laughing out loud.

Well while we're kind of on the subject, I've had a friend mention that if not in use she unplugs any electrical item with a clock such as a microwave, VCR/DVD and that type thing. Anyone experiment with that and compare their electric bill? I wonder if turning off those type items makes that much a difference.
Only if you had thousands of those things in your house. For clocks, and phone chargers (like the type with indicator lights - and induction units like described in a previous post), they will draw a little power, but not enough to make much of a difference on your bill.

But there are some people who do not want to consume any power at all (for some reason), In this case everything is unplugged when not being used because they don't know the internal mechanisms.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
According to the Department of Energy, vampire appliances and electronics use about 4% or 5% of the energy in an average home. When you include all homes in the U.S., that totals about 52 billion kWh per year or about 26 average-size power plants.

There's a simple "How much do vampire appliances cost?" calculator on that page.

I use power strips on my computer and TV equipment.
If I'm going to be gone for 3 or more days, everything gets unplugged except for the refrigerator.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel0004 View Post
Leaving a modern cell phone charger plugged in uses very very little electricity. Maybe a few pennies a year. If you want to save electricity there are better ways to do it.
Yes -- but my cell phone charger, husband's cell phone charger, the calculator powerpack plug, the printer powerpack plug, the laptop powerpack plug, the desktop powerpack plug, the three daily used exercise machines powerpack plugs, the wifi unit powerpack plug and those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, so you know they are lots more -- those are a lot of pennies, and those pennies add up to dollars.

One cell phone? totally agree with you.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,075 times
All of my cell phone chargers draw absolutely nothing when they are not charging - according to my kill-o-watt meter. Everything else seems to draw power.

Laptop power chargers, transformers for the router, TV, etc are all drawing power.

I have an instant-on CRT style TV that draws more power OFF than my LCD tv draws ON. It's crazy!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
All of my cell phone chargers draw absolutely nothing when they are not charging - according to my kill-o-watt meter. Everything else seems to draw power.

Laptop power chargers, transformers for the router, TV, etc are all drawing power.

I have an instant-on CRT style TV that draws more power OFF than my LCD tv draws ON. It's crazy!
Some power supplies complete the circuit internally, these are the ones that use electricity even when nothing is plugged into it. Others complete the circuit through the device, these use no electricity when not being used.

The easiest way to tell what type you have is to feel it when nothing has been plugged into it for awhile. If it's warm it's using electricity; if it's room temperature, it's not.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
According to the Department of Energy, vampire appliances and electronics use about 4% or 5% of the energy in an average home. When you include all homes in the U.S., that totals about 52 billion kWh per year or about 26 average-size power plants.

There's a simple "How much do vampire appliances cost?" calculator on that page.

I use power strips on my computer and TV equipment.
If I'm going to be gone for 3 or more days, everything gets unplugged except for the refrigerator.
Same here and it isn't even so much about power useage and being a cheap skate but I have an abnormal fear of fire so the fewer electrical things plugged in, the better. I have a cursed life in this respect: I've had 2 washing machines, a toaster oven and an iron catch fire.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM

632 posts, read 853,386 times
Electronic timers and such consume relatively little power. Most could run for a month or more on a couple of AA batteries. I think you would see only a modest reduction in your power bill if you unplugged them all.

Incandescent light bulbs are another matter. They can consume as much energy as some small radio stations.
Most of it going to produce heat rather than light. But if the filament is burnt out then the circuit inside the bulb has been broken and no electricity is being used.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
We reduced our electric bill by 22% by putting things such as Stereos, computers, chargers etc on power strips or switched outlets. As Miller88 stated above, just get a Kill a watt tester. About $25 and it will pay for itself fast. Little things may not make a huge difference but they add up. My average electric bill for a 2700 square foot home is $45 year round. Gas is another $20 in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living