Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times

Advertisements

I'm working on reducing my possessions. I have too much. Among my possessions are hundreds of books.

Some (Like my Louis L'amour collection) are not going anywhere.

Others... I could do away with and not miss them.

Others I'd like kindle copies, and figure if I can sell them... that will pay/partially pay for it.

But... is it worth doing, and if so where?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times
Half.com. We made almost $100 recently selling books, games, dvd's.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
Amazon will actually buy them back from you in most cases. I keep getting emails from them regarding books I've ordered in the past, asking me if I'd like to sell my copy! They have a trade in program (if you bought the book on Amazon or if Amazon wants the book) or a 'Sell The Book Yourself' option (which means you're responsible for shipping it when the time comes).

Alternatively, you could try selling them on Craigslist in lots. Obviously though, you'd probably have to meet with the buyer unless they were willing to set up some sort of paypal/ western union transaction with you.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
You can try amazon, but many huge sellers list books for a penny, then make money from shipping costs since they have so many sales. For individuals, it's usually not worth it to sell a book for a penny.

I too am replacing a lot of my hardcover novels with their Kindle version, so I have been selling some of those books. I have had some luck selling "packages" of books, e.g. several hardcovers by one author, on either Craigslist or ebay.

If it's a series (I have a lot of those!), I always check the first one on amazon and ebay to make sure I'm not under-selling it -- a first-edition of the first book in a series that later becomes popular can be worth a lot.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,852,254 times
Hi Themanwithnoname--

Books, especially if they're not worth selling online, could always be unloaded at Half Price Books.

I expounded on it a bit more in my blog a while back: Make Money: Selling, Scrapping, and Flipping

Quote:
There is another highly effective way to raise some quick cash (and probably make roommates/spouses happy), and that is to get rid of some of the clutter around your house by selling it. Old books and CD’s can go to Half Price Books. Clothing that doesn’t fit anymore or just doesn’t appeal to your fashion sense can go to Plato’s Closet. Stereos, iPod’s, computers, and other electronics can be sold at any pawn shop. Books, especially expensive ones like college textbooks, can be sold on Amazon or Craigslist for many times what you would get by returning it to the school’s bookstore.

(A bit of advice: tell the pawn shop you want to pawn, not sell it, even if you do intend to sell – they’re less likely to low ball you.)

On a personal basis, I sold some outdated political books, a few things I didn’t like, and just some plain inappropriate relics in exchange for $12 at Half Price Books. I turned around and used that money to pay for a $9.99 cut at Great Clips and I even had $2 left over for the tip. So I basically got a haircut for free, and I did myself a favor by clearing up a shelf on the bookcase. I’ve also done similar things at yard sales and picked up books that were given away, and boxes of books fetched in the $15-20 range – which went straight in my pocket (or I bought something I was actually interested in reading).

Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM

355 posts, read 913,870 times
Amazon also has a program where you mail them the books and they give you a label.

I don't know how volume sellers are making money off the shipping. When I tried selling the books myself through Amazon, it usually cost more to mail the books than Amazon would allow you to charge. Maybe I was doing something wrong? It just was easier to mail Amazon a package of all of the books they were willing to take. I donated the rest to my kids' school library.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
It depends on the titles but if you have books that are in demand you can usually take them to used bookstores that have a trade-in deal and if you want cash they'll do that too but it won't be worth as much. I had trouble selling mine that way though b/c I like to read weird stuff.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Depending on what you have, you might be able to sell them in bulk to a local used book store.

If the used book store does not want them, probably you might as well donate them to a library or such, they will know what's selling and what's not worth bothering with.

If you hit the right bookstore, you might be able to trade the paper books in on Kindle versions. Might as well ask.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,161 times
Having Bulk why not try to open the Online Book Store like shop.nodia even you will enjoy your books business all over the world.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
If have a fireplace or a heater that burns wood, consider burning them.. seriously.

Take a look at their going price on Amazon.. calculate their weight and the $ per weight. If that number is comparable to or lower than firewood, then just burn them.

Fahrenheit 451 for Cash-Strapped UK Seniors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living