Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

i love all those anonymity folks on those nice long cash lines at the toll boths. many are so spooked by the fact someone will know they went over the bridge with an ez-pass .

oh well , at least the city started charging them more for that priveledge as not only do they get to wait on long lines but they have to pay full price too.

anonymity has a cost. only you can figure out if it is worth it or is it just throwing money away for a reason that exists only in your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Well then, it's a good thing I don't have to use toll roads. Any other insults you'd like to hurl my way?

Old 12-28-2014, 02:03 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i love all those anonymity folks on those nice long cash lines at the toll boths. many are so spooked by the fact someone will know they went over the bridge with an ez-pass .

oh well , at least the city started charging them more for that priveledge as not only do they get to wait on long lines but they have to pay full price too.

anonymity has a cost. only you can figure out if it is worth it or is it just throwing money away for a reason that exists only in your head.
Plus it makes record keeping easy. I can just pull up my toll history online rather than relying on myself to note when I paid tolls for tax purposes.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well then, it's a good thing I don't have to use toll roads. Any other insults you'd like to hurl my way?
these are not insults ,they are facts.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,171 times
I use a combination of cash and credit cards. I use cash at restaurants as I do not like the idea of my credit card going into a back room for a while. That money is budgeted monthly. For gas I use a 3% cash reward with a 10% bonus of the amount of the cash reward if I transfer the money into a checking account related to the card. For groceries and department store purchases I also use the credit card and get 1-2% cash back credit plus the 10%. All is paid in full each month and I get well over $1000 a year cash credited to my checking account. That is 'free money'.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I've tried cash only and it ends up being more expensive for me. If I carry money...it's gone. If my wallet has no money I spend less. I know people who have used the envelope system for years and it works well for them.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I've found I tend to spend less when using cash -- it seems more real to me than credit cards and debit cards. One other advantage I find is no "sticker shock" when I get my monthly credit card statement...ymmv.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:53 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Good for you! No need to be so condescending and dismissive. For some people, anonymity is of greater value than cash back, personalized coupons, or discounts. I use a combination of cash and credit. My preference for one or the other depends on the circumstances, but I place a high value on privacy, so I use cash frequently. For me, it's worth it. YMMV.
I agree. I am pretty much a cash person. I use AMEX/Pay Pal for all online purchases and most major purchase. You do not take such, we do not do business. I will move on to a business that does. I use debit for daily about town purchase say over $25.00 (gas, groceries, etc). For purchases less then $25.00 I usually use cash. Breakfast today was $7.00. I left a $10 dollar bill.

I do have a MasterCard and a Visa that rarely ever get used. I run something on each once or twice a year to keep the accounts open.

I believe one of the main reasons service is on the wane is far less are tipping. When I was young and working service type jobs, I was always told to go above and beyond as people will tip you. That incentive is fast fading.

I know my golfing buddies want cash for our side bets. The cart boy does not take credit. Do lap dancers take credit cards? How does one explain that charge to the wifey....LOL

Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I moved away from the DEBIT card more than a year ago after the Target breach. And I don't even shop at Target. If was actually the next couple of breaches in close time frame that finally convinced me to not use debit. I've used cash or my credit card since then.

I started a thread about it:

Are you using more cash due to CC data breaches?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/perso...sh-due-cc.html

Using a DEBIT CARD online is NOT the smartest thing to do! NOBODY should EVER use a debit card online!

Use a regular credit card (better protection), OR PayPal, as most places online take PayPal, and then only PayPal has your info. That way you don't have to worry as much about your id and accounts being stolen. With a credit card info being stolen, crooks do NOT have direct access to your cash money in your account! You can't say that about a debit card.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
To me, using a Debit Card with online banking is essentially the same thing as using cash, except that the debit card has an automated audit trail and accounting flexibility. The online banking feature keeps one on-top of the account and able to quickly spot and report any any items that should not appear there.

While some disagree, we've used DC's in this manner for years ... and have never had a problem. However, although we only occasionally use our CC, we've had to replace it at least three times over the past few years, due to unauthorized use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living