Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times

Advertisements

I use cash for most of my purchases, and I pay most of my bills online. I don't own a debit card or an ATM card. I give myself an allowance; I use the "envelope method" to keep track of money for wants, not needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Using a DEBIT CARD online is NOT the smartest thing to do! NOBODY should EVER use a debit card online!

Use a regular credit card (better protection), OR PayPal, as most places online take PayPal, and then only PayPal has your info. That way you don't have to worry as much about your id and accounts being stolen. With a credit card info being stolen, crooks do NOT have direct access to your cash money in your account! You can't say that about a debit card.

Using a debit card for a purchase anywhere is not a smart thing to do in these days of credit data breaches. In addition, if one ever has to dispute a charge, you have no power and almost no grounds to dispute a charge with a debit card because the dispute process is entirely different than with a credit card. With a debit card, the merchant has your money instantly, and they can do as they please because everything is in their favor, and you have no rights.

I also believe in anonymity, and go to great lengths to conceal some things, but the credit card rewards are so enticing I have no problem with people knowing everything I bought, including a lap dance. Besides, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
I always use my debit card. I very rarely use my CC's unless it's a big purchase

Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 AM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
nothing is ever a problem ,until it is a problem.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Using a DEBIT CARD online is NOT the smartest thing to do! NOBODY should EVER use a debit card online!

Use a regular credit card (better protection), OR PayPal, as most places online take PayPal, and then only PayPal has your info. That way you don't have to worry as much about your id and accounts being stolen. With a credit card info being stolen, crooks do NOT have direct access to your cash money in your account! You can't say that about a debit card.
I'm not sure why people say that. Someone hacked my mother's account after using her debit card, and the bank replaced the cash.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Default Terminology

Many posters seem to be using the term "ATM card" to mean "debit card". This is not necessarily so. Several years ago I asked Wells Fargo Bank if they could issue me an ATM card only that was not also a debit card. They said sure and mailed one out, then I cut up my debit card which I had only used as an
ATM card any way. A debit card will have the words "debit card" on it, whereas the ATM only card will have the words "ATM card". (At least that's how it is with Wells Fargo).

Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm not sure why people say that. Someone hacked my mother's account after using her debit card, and the bank replaced the cash.
You still get fraud protection with most Debit cards. The only disadvantage for a DC versus CC is that YOU are on the hook for fronting the lost cash until its proven that you didn't make the purchase, kind of like you're guilty until proven innocent. Whereas with a credit card you never lose the actual money, it doesn't come out of your account they just reverse the charge and you can continue on your merry day as if nothing happened.

Its more of an issue for someone who has bills to pay and can't afford to lose $800 out of their bank account due to some thief who decided to purchase $800 in contacts using your card... true story. Luckily I used my CC but you get the point.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM

106,626 posts, read 108,773,903 times
the door is there if the debit card issuer wants to use it if you didn't dot the I and cross the T.

BOTH VISA AND MASTER CARD SPELL OUT IN FINE PRINT THE EXCEPTIONS THAT APPLY TO DEBIT CARDS .

there are quite a few horror stories of folks having long delays getting their money back once an investigation is opened. there is no time limit.

why even expose yourself potentially to that door.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 PM

418 posts, read 727,723 times
I like to use cash when I shop at small local stores, since card fees are a real issue for them. Since the main reason I shop at these stores is to support them and keep them alive in my community (and of course wanting what they're selling), cash makes sense.

It also makes life easier when I eat out in a group- 10 people trying to put part of a tab on their card is no fun.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,381 times
I prefer not to use cash. Too many cashiers either count the change wrong on purpose, or they simply make mistakes.

I've used a debit card for a long time, even online, but no more. I'm going to be checking into getting a prepaid debit card. As long as they have a 3-digit security code on the back I'll be able to use it for the online sites I shop at.

I may have been one of the customers targeted by that Lizard group while shopping on Walmart's website before Christmas. It never gave me a confirmation number when I completed the order, so I called Walmart and they said they had no record of an order being placed. Then my laptop started acting funny, especially when shutting down or booting up. The next day I restored to a previous date and my laptop has been working fine since. Think they may have given me a 'bot' that hopefully was done away with with the restore.

Regardless, I'll be a getting a new debit card with a new number, plus a prepaid debit card/credit card. Really bad timing as I have automatic payments that come out towards the end of the month and have to wait for them to clear before shutting this debit card down.

Yeah, yeah, I shouldn't have used a debit card online. Guess people 'like me' think it wont happen to them. So far I haven't seen any fraud charges so maybe I'll get lucky this time, but it's the last time I'll take a chance with a debit card, especially online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living