Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times

Advertisements

You're correct that it doesn't make much of a difference. It's just the way things were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A frugal person should the lowest amount that is acceptable. In the USA that means approx. 15%.
Perhaps 30 years ago 15% was the minimum for acceptable service. Since then, it has moved up to 20%.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:39 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Perhaps 30 years ago 15% was the minimum for acceptable service. Since then, it has moved up to 20%.
Nope, 15% is still the minimum for acceptable service.
20% is for exceptional service.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
over the years i have gotten better with my tips.

i used to tip about 15-17% of the before tax amount. For example, if a bill comes out to $80 before tax and then is $87 with tax, i would typically tip about $13 which ends up at around 16% of $80.

these days i tip around 16-18% of the after tax amount so $14 on an $87 bill.

if the service is poor, i'll usually stay more in the 13-15% range after tax (so $12 on an $87 bill).

what do other people do?

i did have one incident that stands out. i was visiting boston with my family and there were 3 of us (me, wife, infant child). we went to legal seafoods in the mall and i don't remember everything that we ordered but i probably ordered a drink (i'm not a big drinker but will get a cocktail sometimes) and some food and the bill was around $80 before tax and $87 after tax. the service wasn't **** poor but it wasn't great either. our waiter was a tall asian guy who simply had no personality. he spoke in a monotone without looking at you and simply stood there saying "are you ready to order?" and would take our order without saying a word (no acknowledgements, etc.). he wasn't a bad waiter but he simply had no personality and gave off a weird vibe like he didn't want to be there and he didn't like his job. he never smiled, never checked on us, etc. i also know that it's not their job to entertain children but he didn't acknowledge my son either (usually waiters will at least start with a smile and say hello, etc.). my son just sat there and didn't eat anything or make a mess.

i ended up giving the guy $12.

boy was he pissed. i finally saw some emotion come out of the guy when he saw the tip. i knew it wasn't a great tip but i also didn't think it was a complete insult. he pressed on with questions like "did you not like your service today?" "was there anything i could have done to give you better service?" etc. but rather than asking in a manner that was apologetic or open to learning, he was challenging, rolling his eyes, etc. i didn't feel like getting into an argument with the guy so i just said "eh, you did alright..." and left.

I was always taught that 15% was the traditional tip. It's only on the internet that I have read you should go to 20% not sure I agree with that and on buffet type places where you do most or all of the work yourself I would tip much lower. I do not know if workers at a buffet style restaurant are paid like normal waiters and waitresses or not.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 02-10-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
If you are too frugal to tip, you should not go to restaurants that have servers.

Frugality should not be a factor at all.
You have lost sight or reality. I always thought that 15% was an acceptable tip that was what I had always heard. I am legally responsible for my bill but I do not legally have to even give a tip at all. I have every legal right to be in any restaurant I want to .It is not about being frugal it is more that a person not wealthy who rarely goes out to eat pays the tip they can afford.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
The percentage amount has increased as work rule changes have allows employers to pay less, as compared to the cost of living. As I said earlier, I remember a time when the rule of thumb was double the tax, resulting in a 12% tip on the pre-tax amount. Clearly that became 15%, and in many places, now, 18%. It's the standard tip imposed for large parties in many places. Apparently some places are at 20% now.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I was always taught that 15% was the traditional tip. It's only on the internet that I have read you should go to 20% not sure I agree with that and on buffet type places where you do most or all of the work yourself I would tip much lower. I do not never know if workers at a buffet style restaurant are paid like normal waiters and waitresses or not.
I usually try to find out how buffet places pay their staff ahead of time and tip accordingly. If I'm traveling I assume that they are paid a lower hourly wage as most of them are in my experience.

If they're paid the lower wage I always tip at least 8% because the server will pay income taxed based on that percentage of the meal ticket whether or not he or she receives a tip. To get more than that, drink refills need to be offered before the ice is resting on the bottom of the glass and the used dishes need to be kept clear. If the server can do all of this with a smile I usually tip pretty close to what I would at a menu restaurant.

If it's a 100% self-serve place, drinks and all, I don't tip. In my area those places are usually grocery stores with deli areas where the workers are paid full wage or Chinese places where the employees are all family members.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There is something to be said that management should be paying wait staff a wage that does not require tipping but that is another subject.

If one is to be a frugal tipper as the OP is, they had better be prepared to get either dirty looks or challenged.

A few days ago my restaurant bill was $85. The food was delicious and the waiter very attentive. I tipped $20. I do not think the OP would have ever tipped that much no matter how things went. So again, he should be prepared for the dirty looks or challenged.

Either pay the going rate or do not go.

I agree that the whole serving tip thing is weird. I have said in another post I always heard that 15% was the acceptable good manners tip to give . And if in doing that I get a dirty look then they have shown me they got more money then they deserved not less. And before I leave I will tell management why I will not be back .

Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, no, it's more like 20% these days.

Why? For what reason is someone now "required" to pay more then the traditional 15% tip? Has service suddenly got 5% better everywhere then it used to be?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I consider myself very frugal but I always tip at least 20%. I'm not going to save money at the expense of someone whose employer pays them $2.13 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living