Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I never knew frugal people even ate out...pretty ignorant I guess.
Probably never would because I can't take the prices.
That's silly.

I'm a frugal person, too, but there are some things that are cheaper to eat out than at home.

Seafood is a good example. I only like shrimp, which is like $11 a bag. My hubs likes fish, oysters, shrimp, clam strips...so, I can go nuts and spend $200 on seafood, only to drive myself crazy trying to cook it all and deal with the fishy smell, or my hubs and I can go out to the local seafood joint for about $30. I get a huge plate of shrimp with a baked potato and other side, and he gets a combination plate. There's no way I could cook all that seafood at home for $30, and I'd go crazy trying to cook it and deal with the smell...

If you do the 2 for $20 deal at Applebee's, the steak dinner (an appetizer (wings, spinach and artichoke dip....), 2 7oz sirloins, 2 orders of garlic mashed potatoes, 2 orders of broccoli) is cheaper than replicating the same thing at home.

That said, I do cook at home the vast majority of the time. Steak or seafood are the main things we go out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
I tip as much as I can at least 15%. I used to work as a server so I know tips are appreciated. If I can't afford to tip I will eat at home or get fast food, or chinese takeout of pizza.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
I tip 10-15% based on circumstances. Most of the wait staff are people who are working hard to make some extra dough. I'm not going to cheat them from a fair tip for working. I hate that when I don't see people tip and I'm shocked how often I see this from people who can easily afford it.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:49 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How much do frugal people tip?

Trick question. Eating out at restaurants is not frugal behavior.
We are fairly frugal in a number of aspects, in part so we can have more disposable income to spend on those things we do enjoy, like travel or a good meal out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
As a former server and as a mother of a current server, people who can't tip really make my blood boil. It's quite simple, if you can't afford a decent tip (at least 20 percent) than don't go out to eat. And what's the deal with people tipping pre tax? I had no idea people even did that.
As someone who worked as a waiter and delivered pizzas in high school and college, I tip well. But I do tip on the pre-tax amount and I see no problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I am legally responsible for my bill but I do not legally have to even give a tip at all. I have every legal right to be in any restaurant I want to .It is not about being frugal it is more that a person not wealthy who rarely goes out to eat pays the tip they can afford.
If you cannot afford what would be considered a proper tip for an expected standard of service at a given restaurant, then you cannot afford to be eating there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmom1 View Post
Here is a scenario that no one has proposed yet. How do you tip a waitstaff employee if you are using a BOGO or 1/2 off coupon offer at the restaurant or receiving a deeply discounted meal "deal"?
I believe it was addressed earlier - tip should be based on the pre-discounted amount.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Most of this thread has been limited to restaurants. So here's a few other ansewers to the question of what I tip:

Hair stylist: 15%
Parking Valet: $5 when I get my car
Bellhop: $1 per bag
Concierge: $5 for arranging dinner reservations
Hotel maid: Typically $5 per day (when I do have them come in when or check out - on some trips, I will leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign up all day and not have my room serviced). If it is a larger suite or at a more upscale resort, then the tip will usually be higher.
Taxi: 15%

Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

Seafood is a good example. I only like shrimp, which is like $11 a bag. .

I buy a pound of peeled and deviened large frozen tail on uncooked shrimp for $8 at Walmart.

Thaw it in the fridge or in water in the package.

One bag makes 4 servings of 10 to 12 shrimp per person.

I found a recipe online where I make a tempura batter, then I coat some in coconut flakes and the other in panko crumbs. I let it rest at least 30 minutes, but will remain fresh covered in the fridge for 2 days. Deep fry them for 3 minutes and they are better and cheaper than any fried shrimp I ever got from a restaurant and only about $2 per serving. Since I'm frying first I make frozen waffle fries from Walmart $2 a bag give you many servings and Onion rings are $2.50 a bag and have many servings.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
20% of the total inc. tax for good service, a bit more for outstanding above-&-beyond service, 15% for standard. Waitresses & busboys don't make minimum wages & work very hard & take a lot of abuse & demands from customers.

Anyone who is "frugal" with wait staff is just a jackass, not frugal.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:58 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
We dont eat at restaurants with servers to often. We have places besides fast food that are no tipping. When we do though, for decent service we do 15%. 20% or more for excellent. Less for poor. Couple times left nothing because of extreamly poor service and very rude server. I still feel there is some responsibility to server to provide at least average service. If its busy, I understand but when I see them texting on phone, ect it doesnt make me want to give extra thats for sure.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:44 PM

80 posts, read 135,310 times
I refuse to tip, on principal. The whole concept is repugnant. The server is an employee of the restaurant, and they should pay an appropriate wage, not have then begging for handouts from customers. Thus, I refuse to go to restaurants or any establishment that tipping is expected.

However, in the past, I always tipped 20%. Bad service, or good. I'm not an *******.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
20% of the final bottom line (so it includes tax) and assuming good service.

I will tip more if the babies make a big mess.

If I don't feel like tipping, I don't eat out... or go to an establishment that doesn't require tipping (pickup yourself type)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living