Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,526 times

Advertisements

But, for DirecTv, I had to commit to that so that my bill would be cheaper when I signed up.

Well, fast forward 12 months and one of my discounts has expired so my bill went up $30! On top of that, it's automatic and I keep forgetting about the $80 that is coming out and I spend all my money in my checking account and then see that I am overdrawn. Aarghh!!

Any solutions for this problem, other than to mark it on the calendar and just try to remember?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,419,257 times
Do you keep a checkbook register?
Avoid letting your balance get below $100 at any time.
Cancel the automatic payments and pay w/ a check or cc each month.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 AM

6,785 posts, read 5,515,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
But, for DirecTv, I had to commit to that so that my bill would be cheaper when I signed up.

Well, fast forward 12 months and one of my discounts has expired so my bill went up $30! On top of that, it's automatic and I keep forgetting about the $80 that is coming out and I spend all my money in my checking account and then see that I am overdrawn. Aarghh!!

Any solutions for this problem, other than to mark it on the calendar and just try to remember?!
MArk your calendar and REMEMBER. Note when it comes out and on the week before it is due to come out, write it as a payment in your check register and deduct it from your balance. You only have ONE to remember, it should not be that hard...

ASK Direct TV if it can come out on the 8th and write it AUTOMATICALLY as a deduction on the 1st of the month, every month. Easy enough.

Second issue is that you have other problems if you are "sped{ing} all my money in my checking account" without leaving a buffer. Work on at least a $100-200 buffer and you WON'T be overdrawn again. THAT costs you MORE money as the bank/cu will charge you!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM

98 posts, read 110,452 times
I do automatic payments for several things and I love it. I have a written out budget. I get paid twice a month, so I write down what I am getting paid, and what has to come out of that pay. For the automatic payments that I have coming out on the 15th of the month, I make sure to just go ahead and deduct it from my checking account when I get my first paycheck of the month.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,661,652 times
Quote:

You need a bill book. And a budget.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 AM

I live across the street from a Target. 'Nuff said.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM

21,931 posts, read 25,280,841 times
I don't see how you had to sign up for auto pay in your story. The easiest way is to stop living month to month.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM

22,656 posts, read 47,843,952 times
Quote:

There is no try... just do it.
It has been coming out for 12 months +... you should KNOW that it is due. And you should have enough in the account to cover it.

If you cannot do that, stop the auto withdrawal. You are not saving money when you get knocked for overdraw fees.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I don't see how you had to sign up for auto pay in your story. The easiest way is to stop living month to month.
DirecTV said if you choose auto pay, your payment will be cheaper. So I said ok, cheaper is always good!

How would I go about living month to month? By saving? How can I save if my paycheck basically covers my rent, bills, gas and groceries? For the record, I am going to try to get help from a friend who has gone through Dave Ramsey training. He teaches how to budget all your money using envelopes.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There is no try... just do it.
It has been coming out for 12 months +... you should KNOW that it is due. And you should have enough in the account to cover it.

If you cannot do that, stop the auto withdrawal. You are not saving money when you get knocked for overdraw fees.
Yeah, I know. However, luckily, I have had no overdraw fees! I belong to a credit union and I know they have overdraft protection and I did have money in my savings (a reserve to pay the rent) so they transferred over to cover the withdrawal for DirecTV. I recall that they used to charge me $6 for that, but the past two times they haven't charged me! I am blessed for sure in that regard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living