Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:13 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times

Advertisements

Anyone else debate or go bath and forth with buying organic?

I really want to, and I did go through a buying organic phase, but lately I've been all about the pocketbook and have been buying conventional.

For example, for about a year or so I bought organic, free-range eggs -- at about $4.50 a dozen. But money is money and I'm back to regular store brands eggs for less than half the price for jumbo and a quarter of the price for regular or large.

Another example, canned beans...organic are 1.00 each....regular 60-75 cents.
And lets not even get into organic produce prices.

So what are your thoughts on frugality and buying organic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
I buy organic when it makes sense. If it doesn't I don't stress out about it.

Living in the rural Midwest helps. I buy organic free-range eggs from a co-worker for $2/dozen (size varies). Fresh produce comes from farmers' markets and roadside stands in the summer. Other times of the year I just compare prices at the grocery store and buy organic when it makes sense.

On things like canned goods, you can sometimes save a little by buying fresh (fruits & veggies) or in bulk (dried beans) and canning or freezing it. But that does require some time and effort.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:31 PM

47 posts, read 60,417 times
I buy organic beans in bulk, soak and cook myself, frugal, cheap and healthy protein. I only buy free range organic eggs, for many reasons so I found a local farmer. I try to buy organic as much as I can. Que the I don't crowd....sigh, which is fine. Whatever is best for you, your family and budget as well as the usual person who will come to disagree no matter what.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 PM

291 posts, read 398,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I buy organic when it makes sense. If it doesn't I don't stress out about it.
Agreed and pretty much what i do. I try my best to buy foods with less 'garbage' in them per the ingredients list, but cost definitely weighs on that.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,104,234 times
From a frugal standpoint unless you can justify that buying organic is healthier and will lower your healthcare costs either short, mid or longterm by as much as your spending on organic stuff I don't think its the frugal thing to do.

Here is my issue with organic. Your always hearing studies about how something like 40% or more of stuff labled organic isn't organic I question am I even getting organic stuff when I buy it or am I just paying 4x as much for a banana?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Here is my issue with organic. Your always hearing studies about how something like 40% or more of stuff labled organic isn't organic I question am I even getting organic stuff when I buy it or am I just paying 4x as much for a banana?
Knowing a few organic farmers and the hoops I have to jump through to keep their produce organic, I have a hard time believing anywhere close to 40% of authentically labeled organic food isn't organic.

"Authentically" being the key word here.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM

738 posts, read 1,000,345 times
I started paying more attention to the food I ate in the 90s and it has paid off for me health-wise. Haven't had the flu since 1992 and that is with traveling the country for 6 years being in all kinds of places in contact with all kinds of folks. So for me, I've saved hundreds if not thousands on my health care costs.

I try to purchase organic when it makes sense, but there are still conventional food items I must purchase because we have no major health food stores near to my location and the winters here are pretty brutal. Like duster1979, I purchase local eggs, but also buy organic fruit, produce and protein from local orchards, farms and ranches during the growing season. I support the local economy, get a great price and am able to preserve the food however I please...win-win. Trying to buy organic lettuce at a regular grocery store isn't really an option unless I buy pre-packaged, so I don't bother.

I do have to say however, that I am a from scratch cook and have lots of time to invest into managing our food supply. I think if people would just take the time to understand how the food they are consuming is produced, there would probably be a louder call for organics.

Regardless, I believe the two concepts of frugality and organics can coexist, but they needn't be exclusive of the other.

RVcook

Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,956 times
I often buy organic when buying fresh fruit and veggies. I joined a group that delivers organic produce to my home weekly. Its a little more expensive that non-organic, plus it is delivered, so it costs more, but the freshness and taste is well worth it to my family. And its convenient.

Frugal? maybe not in the initial cost, but if it is considered that my family eats it and nothing is wasted, then it is well worth it. Never had a fresh organic heirloom tomato with no flavor, but had many non-organic that were trashed for lack of flavor. So in the bigger picture, it makes financial sense too.

For canned or frozen foods I just buy what is cheapest and a good flavor/texture without added salt, sugar, etc.

I won't pay the extra cost for organic meats and eggs and milk.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 AM

353 posts, read 605,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
I started paying more attention to the food I ate in the 90s and it has paid off for me health-wise. Haven't had the flu since 1992 and that is with traveling the country for 6 years being in all kinds of places in contact with all kinds of folks. So for me, I've saved hundreds if not thousands on my health care costs.

I try to purchase organic when it makes sense, but there are still conventional food items I must purchase because we have no major health food stores near to my location and the winters here are pretty brutal. Like duster1979, I purchase local eggs, but also buy organic fruit, produce and protein from local orchards, farms and ranches during the growing season. I support the local economy, get a great price and am able to preserve the food however I please...win-win. Trying to buy organic lettuce at a regular grocery store isn't really an option unless I buy pre-packaged, so I don't bother.

I do have to say however, that I am a from scratch cook and have lots of time to invest into managing our food supply. I think if people would just take the time to understand how the food they are consuming is produced, there would probably be a louder call for organics.

Regardless, I believe the two concepts of frugality and organics can coexist, but they needn't be exclusive of the other.

RVcook

See, I've gotten the same results from the opposite approach - I haven't had the flu since sometime in the 80's, haven't really been sick at all - aside from my non-existent thyroid that I inherited from my dad. I eat pretty much anything cheap that tastes good, plus, I work in a business where I deal with hundreds of people face-to-face every week, so I get plenty of germ exposure on a regular basis.

I grow my own eggs from my illegal city hens (I call them Norwegian Ground Parrots), but other than that, I buy food based on what it costs and if I like to eat it or not.

I think there is probably some long term effects from eating cheap, GMO foods and the like, but I only have so much money to spend on food and I can't go hungry today worrying about the tumor that my cheap food may or may not give me 20 years from now.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,829,402 times
With Frugality in mind, I believe that eating MORE fruits and vegetables is better for health than spending the same limited pot of money on pricer Organic produce.

Also, I think it's safe to eat the non-organic version of produce that have a thick skin that gets removed - like bananas, avocado, oranges, grapefruits, etc. Just wash the skin, peel it off, and eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living