Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times

Advertisements

Interesting read: Micro-frugality VS. Macro-frugality | OutOfYourRut.com

Micro-frugality: Paying attention and cutting out the small expenses (i.e. food, eating out, daily coffee, etc.) since they "add up".

Macro-frugality: Cutting back on the big expenses (rent, car payment, etc.) while not paying too much attention to the small expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Frugality-Frugality

Being frugal with both big and little things while spending money when you want to on what's worth it (To you)

This does NOT stop you from ALSO increasing your income.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

This does NOT stop you from ALSO increasing your income.
Pride and self respect, though, DO stop me from that. Along with a comforting measure of laziness and the pleasure of being in control of the finite hours of my life.

Nobody on his death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office". But there are plenty who have said "I wish I had never bought that sailboat".

Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pride and self respect, though, DO stop me from that. Along with a comforting measure of laziness and the pleasure of being in control of the finite hours of my life.

Nobody on his death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office". But there are plenty who have said "I wish I had never bought that sailboat".
Not at all...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Not at all...
Great, thoughtful, in depth, well researched argument. You've almost convinced me.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Micro-frugality: Paying attention and cutting out the small expenses (i.e. food, eating out, daily coffee, etc.) since they "add up".

Macro-frugality: Cutting back on the big expenses (rent, car payment, etc.) while not paying too much attention to the small expenses.
Well then. It appears that I am a Macro-Frugal person.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Great, thoughtful, in depth, well researched argument. You've almost convinced me.
(Sighs) Ok, if I really need to spell it out:

There are ways to increase your income without giving up 'your pride and self respect'

If it's investing, starting your own business, doing side work or whatever.

you REALLY don't get that!?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM

82 posts, read 413,450 times
Interesting article. I'm a little bit of both but primarily a macro-frugal since I don't buy too many processed foods so coupons don't really work for me but I don't like paying full price for anything. It's funny because I used to be the opposite of macro-frugal... buying big ticket items based on the max monthly payments rather than the grand total. I think in the long term macro-frugal habits pay off with larger returns.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

To a certain extent, it is a false dichotomy. Ultimately, you have to put the heaviest emphasis on the macro. If your rent/mortgage is 1/3 of your gross income or more, that is a prescription for payday to payday living. Not good. But you still have to watch the small expenses, too. Some people can fritter away large sums of money on small things. But if the big expenses are under control, then it's fine and good to blow money on small things if you enjoy them.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
(Sighs) Ok, if I really need to spell it out:
Yes, you do. This is a discussion forum, not a place for a vague meaningless 3-word quip without a noun nor a verb, with the purpose of ridiculing another poster.

Quote:
you REALLY don't get that!?
Quote:

There are ways to increase your income without giving up 'your pride and self respect'
In the private sector, virtually every employment is a link in a chain of transferring wealth from the consumers to the financial overlords (Wall Street) who are using their workers as pawns to maximize their share of power, wealth and de-facto royalty. Playing my part in that does not fill me with pride nor self-respect. If that is what makes you proud, then knock yourself out for some of the scraps, but don't project your own persona on the rest of us. Some of us don't want it and have found a way to escape it, and it gives us self-respect.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-13-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living