Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times

Advertisements

Lots of things: tea, ketchup, cat food, soda, mayo...........and just added English muffins to the list. There is nothing like Thomas's EM. These generic muffinsI bought are so horrible.......they've become bird food!

I'm not too sold on generic butter for serious baking. I could see and feel the difference in texture of the baked items.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Mayonnaise.
Gotta be Best Foods or everything tastes funny

Mayo and grape jelly for me.

I grew up with Hellmann's Mayo on the east coast, couldn't find it on the west coast but the Best Foods label saved me as it looks just like the Hellmann's label. Costs about $1 more than other brands but I accept no substitutes.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
A lot of things we only buy certain brands after trying others. I do buy some of HEB branded items as some are better than national brands we have found. Its always hit and miss on brands:IMO.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I will give generics a try on pretty much anything. If I don't like it, I have no worries going back to the name brand. It's not frugal to throw out 95% of a package of something and I'm not in a position where I feel l have to force myself to eat or use a product that I don't like.

I buy lots of Kirkland branded items at Costco and have been happy with pretty much all of them. And a fair number of Target Up and Up. Supermarket quality seems to be more hit or miss.

A few people have mentioned cereal, and I agree with that. I'll buy those big bags (can't think of the brand right now) but the store brands are generally not good. And I like MiO water drops - a bottle lasts me at least a month and I don't buy coffee so it's still a frugal way to get my caffeine fix. But the generics on those were awful. I wait for a sale and stock up.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Sometimes manufacturers will package the same item and sell it as a store brand. I have not noticed a lack of quality in cereal. LIke someone said the big bags are fine, they are the same as the box and to me they are the same as generic.

Where I have noticed a big difference is in nacho chips, Doritos are delish but expensive, the cheap brands don't even taste close to the same and are bad.

I agree somewhat about toilet paper. I used to buy the cheap 4 pack for 88 cents at walmart, you go thru a roll a day. I have found cheaper ones but better quality. The ones that say 12 rolls = 28 or whatever, they are the same as the name brands that advertise the same but are about 25% cheaper. Paper towels too can be a bad deal if you get the cheap ones, they can be very thin, but you have to get small packages and find the one you like the best. Walmart has a 3 pack designer roll that is about $2. It's fine but the quality varies. At one store I found some that were really thick and heavy, then at another they were decent and adequate but not the same, as far as I know it was the same product.

I also agree about things like ketchup, I use so little that when I do buy it I buy heinz. Sometimes I look at products at Walmart and think who buys these things.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
I can't think of any products that I won't buy a generic/store brand/private label version of. That being said, I learned long ago that not all generic products are created equal so I'll often buy a name brand if the generic version carried at the store where I'm shopping is notably inferior and I don't want to make another stop.

As others have said, some of the store brand equivalents of name-brand soft drinks don't measure up - notably the Coke, Pepsi, and Mt. Dew knock-offs - but I drink so little pop that I seldom buy it by the case anyway.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Mayonaise. Best Foods, or do without.

There are brands I buy in cheese and won't buy the cheap stuff-- or some of the more expensive stuff either. I want what I want.

Bottled BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Rays.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I'll buy Sam's generic toilet paper, because it's better than any other toilet paper I've tried. I'll also use their laundry soap, because it's decent although the bottle has a tendency to leak so you have to remember to put the cap on. The generic cheese at Sam's is also good, but the mozzarella has a tendency to mold pretty quickly, so you have to freeze part of the 5lb bag or plan on eating tons of cheese.

I won't buy generic shampoo, body wash, razors, deodorant or tampons. I also won't buy generic dish soap, dishwasher soap, or fabric softener. I will buy generic hand soap and medications though.

As far as food goes, some generics are okay and others just aren't. Our local grocery chain HEB has a brand called Econo Max that's the lowest price, then their store branded generic, then the name brands, then their organic Central Market brand. I've found that the store branded generics are okay there, but the Econo Max stuff is not even edible...tuna full of crunchy stuff, mac and cheese with a sauce pouch that just coated the noodles in flavorless orange oil, etc. I actually threw out the rest of the Econo Max stuff I had bought instead of donating it to the food bank, because it wasn't fit for human consumption.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
I buy all my soaps and cleaning products at Dollar Tree. Most non food supermarket things I buy there except for toilet paper and paper towels. I will buy the tissue boxes there occasionally. I actually like their dish washing detergent. I find it doesn't foam as much so you don't need as much water to rinse and clean plates off.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I buy all my soaps and cleaning products at Dollar Tree. Most non food supermarket things I buy there except for toilet paper and paper towels. I will buy the tissue boxes there occasionally. I actually like their dish washing detergent. I find it doesn't foam as much so you don't need as much water to rinse and clean plates off.

I just end up using a lot more of the cheaper dish soaps, so it evens out to buy the more expensive concentrated ones.

The LA Totally Awesome cleaning products that Dollar Tree has are pretty good.

I won't buy cheap laundry detergent because the clothes last a lot longer with good detergent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living