Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,979,811 times

Advertisements

I've completely given up on accumulation. Now I'm actually into simplicity. I know what I enjoy and want and need, and that's all the stuff I need. So no reason to go to store and brouse. I'd rather fix than buy new, so I don't mind shopping for a repair service or parts, but I hate buying new.

Partly because the new stuff you buy tends to be junk. EG: My dishwasher is about 5 years old. I discovered that the latch is broke in two. I can still use it, but what a hunk of junk. The vacuum cleaner we bought just a year or so ago, already doesn't work like new and suck the way it should.

But its a great feeling to throw out accumulated junk,and I love having an uncluttered house. If a book comes out that I want, that I'll buy new, but with Amazon, that's not a major purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 09:57 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,709,774 times
I use to be a big shopper in my early 20s. I was still frugal in most areas and always saved money but I certainly bought unnecessary items. Now, my focus has shifted a LOT. It is tough for me to spend money in general even on needed items. I have set goals and am quite focused and determined on meeting those. My husband and I each get a small allowance each month that either of us can use as we see fit. I have nearly $800 of "fun money" saved up over couple years. My husband makes fun of me, that I can't even enjoy using that but I enjoy saving it. I bought my iPad with it 3 years ago and upgraded my desktop computer 2 years back.

So yes, it's changed a lot for me. I never was a shopaholic type, no debt occurred from it but I'm glad I have better control over purchases. I have sold a lot of things I bought and never used.. I much rather have a simple clutter free life then overwhelmed but stuff that I don't want or need.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:50 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,132,091 times
I never was one that HAD to spend time at the mall. The part I used to like about shopping was finding a good deal and/or using coupons for food. I loved to tell my then-husband and kids how I only spend X amount to buy dinner. I made it a kind of game. I can't really do that anymore. Most coupons are for things I just don't use. And it's even more difficult to find good deals.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,680,427 times
I cannot abide going to the "mall"...I shop occasionally at Dillards, go in there, get what I need, and exit.

Otherwise I shop on-line or at Costco.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:10 AM

50,526 posts, read 64,501,118 times
I am not a shopper. Once in awhile, I'll feel like a brief trip to Home Goods or a specific store. Most clothing, I buy online, because I know I won't need to hunt for sizes.
After a huge out of state move, and downsizing, I almost get sick to my stomach at the idea of aquiring stuff.
I don't even like to buy huge quantities of paper products, etc, because if it won't fit on a shelf in my garage, I don't want it.

I must admit, that when I am at my thinnest, which is not lately, I do enjoy trying on cute outfits. Realizing that I tend to wear the same things over and over, I don't buy many of them.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,828,786 times
I've never shopped for fun, just really for utility, and it's getting to the point where accumulating stresses me out. If I've got a need, I've got no problem buying something to fill that need, but I try not to buy things that aren't consumables, because bring more "stuff" into my house and finding a place for it and keeping my house neat in a growing pile of "stuff" stresses me out.

If I buy something for the household (like a piece of furniture, or similar, or cookware or something, it's because something else was gotten rid of (like a worn out item, or something that doesn't fit the space well), and it's being replaced. I don't like just bringing MORE stuff.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 941,564 times
Yes. I feel the same way. Don't need anything else.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:32 AM

908 posts, read 966,753 times
i live in a community that has an active facebook page all about giving things away for free. i have seen decades of possessions that are now pretty much deemed "junk." i think it just gave me a perspective that everything i own and treasure will one day also turn into "junk" or in a second hand store selling for $1. i try to live a minimalist life. i get things for free and give things for free in my community. i really enjoy things more when they are free much more than when i pay a lot for an item!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:20 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,105,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's been gone for a long time. I only buy "stuff" that I can use.
Ditto!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 AM

155 posts, read 137,111 times
I am starting on the "minimalist" journey and it greatly excites me. I am training my brain to ask the types of questions that you list when I am tempted to buy.
The t-shirts that you describe sound very cool, if only you can make them useful. There is a small business that could make them into a quilt for you. I've seen an example of one of these--- they are super cool! https://www.projectrepat.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living