Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM

10,622 posts, read 12,167,534 times

Advertisements

Not ALL the time mind you but most of the time. But I really am having a harder and harder time spending money on things I don't NEED.

Maybe those of you who never were into shopping can't relate -- but anyone else just almost completely stopped added to their "possessions."

I have sooooo many things already. The thrill of buying something new is almost ruined now.
I never was a shopaholic, but if I saw something I wanted I'd get it.

Now, everything I buy, or look at when window shopping, I filter through thoughts and questions such as: "Do I really NEED this?"….OR…."How much to you REALLY like it?"…..OR "Sure you like it, but do you NEED t?"….OR…."You weren't' thinking about this item, but now because you see it, just happened to come in this store, and it's a good price, you want to buy it, for what?…to add to the collection of things you already have.

A couple of deaths in the family and cleaning out people things, and the "CD frugal board" have just ruined me for buying more things. Plus, I don't have room for all the things I have now. Part of it also is just being middle aged and already having everything I really need.

For example, nice soaps and lotions are just one of my "things that I love to buy and have. Recently I saw soaps while traveling, and they were nice, and tempting….At one store there was a small tube of hand lotion I loved the smell of. It was only 6 bucks. But I already HAVE soaps, lotions and scrubs to last me YEARS. So the joy of buying the soaps was ruined because I already have so many. I didn't get them.

I really just seem to be re-evaluating WHY I'm buying -- an spending money on -- the things I do. Plus I'm not really using or wearing everything I have already. So... more and more I equate buying to accumulating -- when technically they're not really the same thing

Friends tell me I "over think" things….another example, I travel a fair amount and buy T-shirts for the places I visit. Well I must have literally close to 100 T shirts so clearly I don't' NEED T shirts But a t-shirt is the memento that I like from my travels. On one hand it's my special personal souvenir -- on the other hand I don't ned it to wear, but …..it's my memento. So now even when I travel…I'm torn about buying a damned T-shirt…..

I suppose I'm making progress though, because there was a time ….I'd buy the soaps, lotion AND the t-shirt!!

Anyway thank for reading…hope some else can relate….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
I have been that way for quite some time now. I DO think it has a lot to do with middle age, and with having 'enough'.
In fact, we have been a "one-in-one-out" household for well over a decade.

Using your T-shirt anecdote... I would have to get rid of a current one to buy a new one. So my question is "What am I willing to get rid of for this?" Really changes the perspective on buying/accumulating!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,689,104 times
I now hate shopping also. There is nothing I want or need and it just seems like such a waste of time to wander around aimlessly in a store looking at things (most of which is useless, cheap junk that won't last six months)

Old 07-29-2016, 11:36 AM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Default Is the Thrill of Shopping, Buying or Accumulating Just Gone For You?

It's been gone for a long time. I only buy "stuff" that I can use.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:16 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,700,689 times
I still have the "thrill of the hunt" once in a while, but fill it by shopping for an item or two at my favorite local thrift store (and I try to take in some items to donate at the same time). So I spend very little and leave happy if I've found something cute.

I hate to visit big box stores unless I absolutely have to.

Mostly, I'm trying to down-size -- I hate clutter.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:05 PM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
For me, it's the mall. I've managed to not enter a mall, the common area, for at least 7 years. I've been in Sears and JCPenney, but I went in through the exterior door.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:43 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,309,910 times
I was never a real "shopper" in that I wanted it all. I have my hobbies. As I've gotten older the zeal for those hobbies has changed. I've moved quite a few times which means everything has to get packed up and taken out again. Things get ruined, forgotten, misplaced or are no longer relevant. I don't like to see waste. I hate giving away or throwing away something that I truly loved at one time. I've moved on to consumables. I don't feel bad about using it up and then buying more.

I also don't like crowds or made in China goods. If I have to fight crowds, I avoid going. If something says 'made in China' or other foreign places, I try to avoid buying it. I don't like our hard earned money squandered on crap.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 07-29-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,840,827 times
Yes! I look at all the massive piles of stuff I've accumulated over the years with disgust. I'm actively selling stuff off trying to live simpler.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:55 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,759,033 times
If you've had to clean out a house after someone died, that'll do it. That did it for me. So much useless stuff lying around.

Anyway, I have everything I need. Sure, I could be tempted into a newer and better smart phone but at the prices they want? Nope. I'll "suffer" along with the one I have.

I used to get excited back when there were beautiful department stores but an ugly big box store doesn't attract me. Made in China poor quality junk doesn't tempt me either. These days I shop in the thrift store and today I found a nice Coach bag. It was only $20 but I don't need it. I looked at it but I didn't buy it.

I do buy some nice things in the thrift stores but only if it's something I need. High end brand linen blouse, cashmere sweater like new. Maybe a nice little desk lamp for a few bucks.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 PM

7,207 posts, read 9,357,987 times
I have never been a shopper. I grew up in a family with 7 siblings and very little money. So I had no choice but to learn how to be frugal. It has become a life long habit that I cannot shake off.

Now, although I can afford to spend, I don't want to. I was dragged into an upscale shopping mall 2 years ago and I really did not see one thing that I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living