Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 PM

26 posts, read 51,508 times

Advertisements

Assuming a person can earn a living with his website, where should he live? I'm curious about recommendations for one, the U.S. and two, other parts of the world for an English speaker.

Frugal people exercise to keep health care costs down. So they want access to a nearby fitness gym. Apartment complexes with a gym usually cost more than those without. But some complexes are near a YMCA or standard public gym. Living in a crime-ridden place is just a bad idea if it can be avoided. I envision living in certain places with no car and just walking to the gym. All some people need is Internet access to keep their income going. What suggestions do you have on where to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 AM

32,781 posts, read 48,555,685 times
It depends upon what you are blogging about. Do you need fodder for the blog? Are there things you need to see or experience to add to your blog?

Frugal people who exercise often do not pay for a gym.

Low cost places to live most likely do not have a transportation system so good that you won't need a car.

Low cost places to live sometimes offer good internet and sometimes they don't.

Try Montevideo, Uruguay. Good transportation system, good internet, lots of lively things to do, and if you stay back from the beach, housing is inexpensive. The local population is accustomed to living without a car. The only major internet site about moving to Uruguay is down and won't come back, due to the death of the website owner.

Big benefit, health care is excellent and inexpensive.

Check out housing options on buscandocasa. Rentals and for sale are both listed.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,851,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering53 View Post
Assuming a person can earn a living with his website, where should he live? I'm curious about recommendations for one, the U.S. and two, other parts of the world for an English speaker.

Frugal people exercise to keep health care costs down. So they want access to a nearby fitness gym. Apartment complexes with a gym usually cost more than those without. But some complexes are near a YMCA or standard public gym. Living in a crime-ridden place is just a bad idea if it can be avoided. I envision living in certain places with no car and just walking to the gym. All some people need is Internet access to keep their income going. What suggestions do you have on where to live?
In the US? I'd look at any 4-year college town with a population between 50,000-150,000.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,681,044 times
Get a Dodge Sprinter van, fix it up, and live there.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,844,331 times
RV in Walmart parking lot.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:41 PM

131,859 posts, read 12,346,099 times
A movable tent.

You don't need a gym to be healthy there are plenty of free hikes & walking trails all over the country.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,122,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Get a Dodge Sprinter van, fix it up, and live there.
These vans are terrible with their Mercedes powertrain, which = lotsa expensive problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
RV in Walmart parking lot.
Yeah, I've done that. I live in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan tow package SXT towing my 99 Honda Civic HX as a trailer. I'm trying to make money making video games [still learning], money making websites, and writing books.

But for winter this year I went to the Philippines. They speak English here very well, and you can rent a condo for 15,000+ pesos and up. I recently paid 23,000 pesos per month all utilities included at SM Sta Mesa Manila - 1 bdr condo. And the SM Mall was a walk across the street plus the SM Supermarket was within the condo complex.

Check out the Philippines to hang out with your internet business, as long as you don't use too much data bandwith. Because the internet in the Philippines has data caps and is a little bit suffering!

I also go to Trinoma for very fast internet, while I can eat a good 2 pc BBQ Pork Chops with 2 rice and egg for 149 pesos. Yum yum!

For exercise, I bike around rather than take a taxi. But jeepneys are cheap 7 peso rides if you know use them. Make sure you bring a ULock from USA because they hardly sell bike ULocks here.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,360,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering53 View Post
I would think a frugal person would forego the expense of a gym in favor of running, walking, and calisthenics.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,844,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
These vans are terrible with their Mercedes powertrain, which = lotsa expensive problems.

Yeah, I've done that. I live in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan tow package SXT towing my 99 Honda Civic HX as a trailer. I'm trying to make money making video games [still learning], money making websites, and writing books.

But for winter this year I went to the Philippines. They speak English here very well, and you can rent a condo for 15,000+ pesos and up. I recently paid 23,000 pesos per month all utilities included at SM Sta Mesa Manila - 1 bdr condo. And the SM Mall was a walk across the street plus the SM Supermarket was within the condo complex.

Check out the Philippines to hang out with your internet business, as long as you don't use too much data bandwith. Because the internet in the Philippines has data caps and is a little bit suffering!

I also go to Trinoma for very fast internet, while I can eat a good 2 pc BBQ Pork Chops with 2 rice and egg for 149 pesos. Yum yum!

For exercise, I bike around rather than take a taxi. But jeepneys are cheap 7 peso rides if you know use them. Make sure you bring a ULock from USA because they hardly sell bike ULocks here.
What's the exchange rate for pesos and USD?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,122,876 times
Check XE.com for exchange rates throughout the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living