Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:16 PM

119 posts, read 95,633 times

Advertisements

I've gone with a #2 buzz cut since about 7 years ago. Saved me a fortune. I always cut my own hair now. The only money I've invested is in those buzz clippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,363,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
A haircut for me was $15-20 every 3 weeks?

So $346/year....vs $40. So I save $300 a year by shaving my head. That's a couple nice hats I could buy.
I never really understood the guys, who had lots of hair or thinning hair or whatever, it doesn't matter, young and old, that go to the barbershop every 3/4 weeks. I go to the barber 2 to 3 times a year at most.

I guess I don't mind having somewhat long/thick hair for months and never really needed to go as often as some people. I've lived all over the country and have been to about a dozen different barbers over the last 30 years and I always see "regulars" come in and get their hair cut, which is already pretty short and they talk about just being there for a cut 3/4 weeks ago.

I know what a haircut costs at the places I have gone to and just can't imagine what guys must spend a year on haircuts, if they go so often.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,405,519 times
I cut my hair at home now.

I used to spend about $60 a year on hair cuts. I usually went to a cheap hair cutting place. But their hair cuts could be awful at times. Not worth the money. I do a better job cutting my hair at home.

Of course, professional hairdressers and barbers probably will argue that nobody should be cutting their own hair. Whatever. To me, it's one expense I can easily do away with.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I never really understood the guys, who had lots of hair or thinning hair or whatever, it doesn't matter, young and old, that go to the barbershop every 3/4 weeks. I go to the barber 2 to 3 times a year at most.

I guess I don't mind having somewhat long/thick hair for months and never really needed to go as often as some people. I've lived all over the country and have been to about a dozen different barbers over the last 30 years and I always see "regulars" come in and get their hair cut, which is already pretty short and they talk about just being there for a cut 3/4 weeks ago.

I know what a haircut costs at the places I have gone to and just can't imagine what guys must spend a year on haircuts, if they go so often.
If you have a really short cut and want to always maintain the same look, might need to get a cut every 2 weeks. Sometimes I cut mine within 10 days to maintain the "faded" sides. But yeah, when I was paying a barber I'd go about 3 months between cuts...basically wait until the sides got too bushy and bunched up around the ears. Also, it seems like when you're in a long term relationship there's less incentive to keep hair perfectly groomed...same with married women who start throwing their hair in a pony tail a lot more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living