Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 07:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

More items that are not a dollar....now being stocked at Dollar Tree.

Will DT lose its niche, will a company emerge as the new true-dollar-store????

Oh yeah, one of my cheap, go-to meals, the Dollar Tree can of mackerel, it has been microsized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 04:43 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Being a big spender, I shop at the $2 Dollar Store.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Being a big spender, I shop at the $2 Dollar Store.
Braggart!

Old 03-07-2020, 02:42 PM

130,228 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I personally wouldn't buy any food items but I just went to a DT and got cleaning supplies for the house.
They have brand names too, such as Hormel pepperoni. Same brand as at the supermarkets, & things like Kraft stove-top stuffing, Hunts tomato sauce etc.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:30 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
They have brand names too, such as Hormel pepperoni. Same brand as at the supermarkets, & things like Kraft stove-top stuffing, Hunts tomato sauce etc.
I'll repeat what I said upthread: If you like A1 or Heinz 57 steak sauces, you should be buying them at Dollar Tree.

They sell 5-ounce bottles of each for $1. Two of those equal a 10-ounce bottle. You will pay anywhere from 75 to 120 percent more for a 10-ounce bottle at your local supermarket.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Lots of new (name brand) food items at my DT.

Could be a good time to buy more stock in DLTR.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:50 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Yeah - I would not buy ANY food items at a Dollar Store, ever. But that’s just me. Glad you found this.
So...you would not trust Hunts spaghetti sauce? ( Well within date code in my state)

Nor Bumble Bee canned Tuna?

Nor Libby's canned vegetables? Or Delmonte?

Nor Hamburger helper ( if you eat it?)?

Nor Kraft Mac & Cheese?

There are "off brands" or perhaps DT 'brand', but if the NAME BRAND items are cheaper than Walmart or the grocery store, why NOT Buy them at Dollar tree?

Do you trust Walmart s 'off brand' or maybe'self branded' Great Value or Equate brands???

Jeeze.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:39 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
So...you would not trust Hunts spaghetti sauce? ( Well within date code in my state)

Nor Bumble Bee canned Tuna?

Nor Libby's canned vegetables? Or Delmonte?

Nor Hamburger helper ( if you eat it?)?

Nor Kraft Mac & Cheese?

There are "off brands" or perhaps DT 'brand', but if the NAME BRAND items are cheaper than Walmart or the grocery store, why NOT Buy them at Dollar tree?

Do you trust Walmart s 'off brand' or maybe'self branded' Great Value or Equate brands???

Jeeze.

(emphasis added)

I recall reading somewhere about a decade or so ago that something like 98 percent of American grocery shoppers bought at least some "private label" products.

Every supermarket chain in the country has its own private-label line (those supplied by Supervalu, Inc., for instance, have "Essential Everyday" - a brand I've seen coupons for in the Sunday papers, and probably the best private-label line around right now - while those supplied by the reconstituted Albertson's have "Signature" and "Lucerne"). If you shop one of the deep-discount, no-service, limited-selection supermarket chains (Save-a-Lot, Aldi, Trader Joe's for the upscale/natural/organic crowd), anywhere from 80 to 100 percent of the items you'll find in their stores are private label. (And if you think private labels are inferior, consider this: Save-a-Lot Stores bought the "America's Choice" brand from the defunct Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. (A&P), which used it for its private-label products; I would rank A&P's "America's Choice" line above "Essential Everyday" in quality.)

Some name-brand manufacturers also produce many private-label lines. Both Heinz and Del Monte do this, for instance, and I wouldn't be surprised if Libby's did as well.

I think the reason some (many?) shoppers regard the dollar-store private label products with suspicion is this: In order to keep the prices at or near $1, they have to use lower-quality ingredients: for instance, the American-cheese slices will not be "pasteurized process cheese" or "pasteurized processed cheese food" but "pasteurized prepared cheese food product" (the USDA has very detailed explanations of the distinctions among these terms; I've listed them from the most to the least natural-cheese-like). That's also true, but less so, for the near-dollar chains like Dollar General and Family Dollar (the latter now a subsidiary of Dollar Tree, which shut down its Deals stores when it acquired Family Dollar), but those frozen strip steaks you'll find at those stores are of a lower grade than the USDA Choice your local Walmart or supermarket carries.

I remember buying Dollar General's private-label cheese crackers and buttery round crackers once. Each of those I found inferior not only to the national brands in each category but to some private-label varieties I'd tried at other stores.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:46 AM

57 posts, read 33,071 times
I would avoid purchasing food from Dollar Tree... even the perfumes, to say the least. When I lived in the N.E. of the USA I'd go in to buy the brand new products that were pricey in the supermarkets. Help me save a few dollars here and there.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:55 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Heavy poster board for the grandkids school projects, hand warmers, pumice bars and a lot of the stuff already mentioned, i.e. wrapping paper, greeting cards and balloons. I rarely buy food at Dollar Tree, for the most part it's either sub-par or more expensive than what I get at the grocery store - canned vegetables @ dollar tree are $1, at Winco they are 50 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living