Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
4K for a TV?? Insane no one people are in debt these days.
4K refers to resolution, not price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 05:05 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Or potassium.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:46 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Best for the money? One of these picked up off the curb for free.

Don't call me to help you move it, though.
I put out one just like that out at the curb 5 years ago...someone scooped it up that night.

I was gonna chop it down for the amplifier and speaker, it had a great sound,
lots of bass, not like today's TVs where you have to hook up a sound bar.

It weighed a ton!

Old 09-16-2017, 05:49 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You need someone to make your house a home. That living room reminds me of a factory floor. There are no heirlooms, no rugs, no art. Nothing.
There's "open concept," and then there's "no concept at all." The place needs to be taken over by a design person. Nothing is where it ought to be.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You need someone to make your house a home. That living room reminds me of a factory floor. There are no heirlooms, no rugs, no art. Nothing.
We just moved a few months ago. This house is about 3 times the size of the old house so we need to buy a lot of stuff for each room. The bedrooms have been the priority. That room is just what was in my old family room (minus the rug) which still leaves it half empty.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:21 AM

512 posts, read 321,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
We just moved a few months ago. This house is about 3 times the size of the old house so we need to buy a lot of stuff for each room. The bedrooms have been the priority. That room is just what was in my old family room (minus the rug) which still leaves it half empty.
Is it funny that in a frugal living forum, people are "shaming" you for not owning a lot of unnecessary stuff in your home (those things won't be free) out of some arbitrary idea about what a *home" looks like?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Is it funny that in a frugal living forum, people are "shaming" you for not owning a lot of unnecessary stuff in your home (those things won't be free) out of some arbitrary idea about what a *home" looks like?
im comfortable with the criticism. im a little surprised that i didnt anticipate criticisms that im not being frugal. i realize that even though i see myself as frugal, others may not agree. my house may not seem frugal to others but it was a short sale and i got about a 30% discount on fair market value for it.

even when done, im not such a big fan of a lot of wall decorations and other stuff. my mom likes to fill every inch of space with something and have gigantic units. i think if you saw other rooms, you would feel they are more complete but maybe not to some people's tastes.

the whole area behind the couch is empty. the stuff was put in when we moved and left there. gotta figure out how to do that room best but it can definitely be considered completely incomplete at this point.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:13 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Nice room and view. I bet the rest of the house is nice too. Go for the biggest TV your room can take. That Samsung is a nice TV, available at both Costco and Sam's Club. I have a 55'' TV in my bedroom and a projector in a dedicated room.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i am looking to get a large television. i would love the largest available but i see that the price seems to jump substantially once you go above 80 or 82 inches. for me, the latest technology isnt quite as important as size but my wife did say it must be 4k (even though i think few things are available in 4k). i also considered projector but the room has lots of windows so viewing would probably suffer during the daylight. i am theoretically open to other brands but we have owned samsungs for the last few tv's and have had excellent experiences so my wife is pretty committed to the brand. anyway, i am considering this:

82" Class MU8000 4K UHD TV TVs - UN82MU8000FXZA | Samsung US

1. any thoughts on anything better/bigger?
2. should i just buy it now or is there a better time to get a better deal?
Not sure of best brand in that size (I have LG and Samsung and am happy with those...good sideview viewings, since I'm sure you know that LCDs lose picture when viewing from the side). My Samsung is plasma, which has the best picture, but those have been discontinued.

I do know that TIMING of a purchase is important. Shortly before the Superbowl offers the best deals, particularly at Sam's & WalMart. That is a time when a lot of people head out to buy a LARGE tv to watch the game. I've seen very good deals.

Another time, obviously, is the holiday season from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Some good deals on tvs of all sizes.

Another time to look for is when new models come out. Stores try to get rid of last year's models. Not sure when this is.

I know why you're looking for large. I have a 43" Samsum plasma, but sit so far from it in my new house that I can't read the infoguide descriptions of shows, the credits at the end of programs, etc. Also, the sound is hard to hear (but I haven't hooked it up to my speaker system yet). I think a 55" to 60" would work in this room. Over 80" does seem excessive, but to each his own. It's not good for the eyes for the picture to be too large, like sitting too close in the movie theater.

There is a sweet spot for viewing. You can Google that...the right size picture for the distance you are from the tv.

A large 4k is going to be very expensive, since 4k is still new technology. Remember how expensive flat screens were when they came out? Then the technology started improving, while at the same time the prices dropped significantly.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

The link the OP posted said the TV was roughly 4 K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living