Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Once upon a time, I watched TV (because that was "what people do!") but I grew out of it. It was such a waste of time, and it contributed to a sedentary, weight-gaining-friendly lifestyle. If there is any show that catches my eyes now (American Horror Story, Nashville, Empire, Shameless, Rupaul's Drag Race, Power) I watch it once in a while on one of those "Watch TV Online Free" sites. Since I am not the 'get hooked on shows and watch every episode religiously" kind of person, but I ocassionally enjoy watching certain performers in some of the above-mentioned shows, I watch once in a while. I also use Youtube for that.
But nope, no cable for me or even streaming channels.
They are rip offs.
That’s where I am.

I borrow videos from my library. If I really like a movie or TV show, I’ll buy the dvds from eBay. If you don’t feel like you just HAVE to watch shows as they come out, you can get them pretty cheap. For internet, I have an unlimited data plan for my cell phone, and that is how I am reading this forum right now. I can use my phone as a hot spot if I want to use my laptop’s larger screen. But I don’t watch movies or TV shows this way, too slow and unreliable.

Fortunately, I’m not a sports addict. But if I was, I’d just go to a bar or a friend’s house.

Besides, I love binge watching! And I have a nice TV, much better screen than my laptop, and dvds make it easy, no drop outs.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-01-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM

419 posts, read 387,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post

There’s too much to list that’s available on Amazon Prime; it’s definitely worth the price to me. We buy a lot of items on Amazon, so we’re already paying for the Prime shipping service. For that reason, I’m not including it in my cost comparison. Prime is $119 billed annually ($9.92/mo), or you can elect to be billed monthly at $12.99/mo ($155.88 total over 12 months) if $119 all at once is too much to swallow.
Have you noticed that Amazon Prime streaming now has some ads when first starting streaming some shows? I've noticed this over the past month or so. I sit down to watch a mystery program and suddenly they're advertising the NFL or some new show. The first time it happened, I clicked out of it thinking I had clicked on some ad or something. I hadn't, because it's happened many more times since.

Amazon Prime is still a good deal for many who use them a lot, but we're giving up Prime when our next yearly billing comes around at the end of October. We don't buy enough from them and have seen most of what we want to see on Prime streaming. I can't justify the new $119 yearly fee with the limited amount that we use them.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:02 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I actually prefer Hulu over Netflix now because:

(a) Hulu has a lot of older shows that I watch and a bunch of them Netflix used to have.
(b) There are a bunch of shows I can watch that might've come on during the week that I can now watch (since I'm not home) without commercials.

I thought about Hulu (with the TV) but NAH.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default BOGO plus three

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I see ads for hulu (and sling and philo, etc) and they seem to offer a way to save money over Spectrum.

The websites for these guys provides scant information on what's required to run 3 TV's (only 1 of which is a Smart TV). What channels do they offer on their 60 channel deals ?? I find myself watching mostly PBS, C-Span, and the Cable News channels, maybe an old movie on TMC.

Spectrum's basic package costs too much.....a change is needed.

Here is another point of view concerning TV. I have the basic package with Comcast it is all I need. Where hulu is concerned I have used it in the past and found it to be somewhat interesting. However being frugal myself it's about value. I use linux mint 64 a free operating system as compared to windows or apple.
I use my computer to send tubitv (google it) to the TV via (hdmi cable) bought on ebay under $5.00 shipped) because tubitv is free and has lots of content. I use linux mint 64 because it never screws up and it's free and it will do anything windows will do..
(Download it at distrowatch.com) Everybody has a junk computer that won't handle windows any more. Just go to distrwatch and download the live version of linux (puppy) and burn it to a cd from there power up your old junk computer from the cd and run it live (via cd) to get a taste of linux. Next buy a digital wall antenna and hook it to the spare tv. They only cost a few bucks on ebay. I get 45 extra channels from cities 50 miles away and in my case it is money well spent. I get lots of programs I don't get from the comcast basic package.
The key is I am within 50 miles of marjor cities and the area I live in is flatland. So you have a BOGO plus three (Intro to linux), tubitv, (the old computer running again) and digital antenna. enjoy.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
I got Direct TV NOW which is same as Hulu. Love it. Way better than having cable tv.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 PM

256 posts, read 68,989 times
The bounty of info on this thread is wonderful for those of us on the verge of cutting the cord as I am; any other tidbits to share?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
With YouTube tv you can watch from any device. So, I can watch the golf channel while I’m on the ski lift.

The dvr is unlimited for months. That means you can record e-v-e-r-y thing.

If you have a so-called smart tv you need no device, such as a Roku stick, or fire tv stick, to get the stream. Your tv will connect to your internet through WiFi.

It’s a no-brainer.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I got Direct TV NOW which is same as Hulu. Love it. Way better than having cable tv.
my comcast contract ends in may so i am planning to switch to one of the streaming services. directv now was the leader. im going to check on what sling tv has.

verizon is offering 100/100 internet for 39.99 a month. so ill get that and a streaming service. all my rooms have wiring for internet but they didnt finish. so i may have someone finish the wiring in the basement so i can get each room hard wired. im concerned about the quality if everything is running on wifi.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM

741 posts, read 590,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
I found some excellent info in your long post -- thank you!

Now... what about sports? We're not fanatics, but do enjoy MLB & NFL. OK -- won't go without the NFL, although no need for "all access" or their NFL Ticket package.
Just 2-3 games on a Sunday & then Monday & Thursday night. Any hope for reducing Comcast bill but still getting those?
I just saw your post, so I’m sorry for the late response. We get sports through the main local channels and ESPN on YouTubeTV, and there are a variety of other sports channels available. We were also getting Thursday night football on Amazon Prime. It was more than enough sports for my sports obsessed hubby.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
This has a good overview and reviews of various streaming services - one of the most thorough lists I've seen.

https://cordcutting.com/services/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living