Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM

258 posts, read 299,469 times

Advertisements

I’m having a yard sale on Saturday and am having a little trouble pricing certain items. The vast majority of this stuff is not mine, it’s my mother’s (who is the antithesis of frugal, but I love her anyways). She is selling her house to downsize and this is the first wave of purging. I fully expect to have to have another sale later this summer. All of these items are in pristine condition. I know some of these more niche items would probably get more money on Ebay or wherever, but I do not have the time or patience to deal with online selling of stuff and don’t mind if I make a bit less if it saves me the hassle.

Any help for pricing these items would be appreciated:

Longaberger baskets- various sizes, with inserts and liners

Vera Bradley purses and accessories- various sizes, all used once or never

Shop Vac

Electric weedeater

A travel golf bag- not a name brand one, but in good condition

Heavy duty wheelbarrow

Seed/salt spreader

Stand-up fans- like, the tower kind

Medium sized cast iron pan in not great shape

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
IMHO, sell the Longaberger baskets and Vera Bradley purses on eBay. I bet that you will end up getting only $1 or $2 each.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, sell the Longaberger baskets and Vera Bradley purses on eBay. I bet that you will end up getting only $1 or $2 each.
Or Facebook Marketplace.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Look at similar items on Craigs List.

We had a garage sale prior to moving 2000 miles away. I put a sign in the window and sold the house. A local title company did the paperwork for a fee that was much lower than an agent.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Sell the baskets and purses on Nextdoor or Facebook Marketplace. The yard items should also sell well on Nextdoor. Specify porch pickup only so no one expects you to meet anywhere and knows they've got to come out to your house to purchase the items. Both of those are easier than Craigslist, especially Nextdoor.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:35 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
You really have to do your own basic research into seeing what selling prices are on the more expensive items. IMO - most people that go to yard sales only want to pay MINIMAL for whatever is being sold.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
Longaberger baskets- various sizes, with inserts and liners

Vera Bradley purses and accessories- various sizes, all used once or never

Shop Vac

Electric weedeater

A travel golf bag- not a name brand one, but in good condition

Heavy duty wheelbarrow

Seed/salt spreader

Stand-up fans- like, the tower kind

Medium sized cast iron pan in not great shape

Thanks so much!
I would not put these items in a garage sale, I would put them on craigslist or ebay. Garage sale buyer will offer a nickel for these things, (or worse, steal them) no matter what price they are. Then, they'll sell it on ebay for profit - a profit you could have made yourself if you had sold them on ebay.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I agree with the posts above. Forget the yard sale. Take the cast iron pan to the thrift shop, and put the rest on CL or FB marketplace.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I have to say going beyond not selling some items at a yard sale, do yourself a favor, skip the cheapskates and forget about Next Door, Offer Up, Craigslist, and all of that. I have had tons of experience with CL, I now have about 30 items experience with Offer Up, and I've sold hundreds of things on eBay over more than a decade. The worst by far is Offer Up. My success rate is maybe 20% and in some cases, I just gave the stuff to Goodwill because I was sick of dealing with it, but it was all worth more than anyone on Offer Up would pay, I just didn't have the patience and it wasn't worth eBaying (items of odd sizes that were $20 or so value). In one case, I tried Offer Up for some Star Wars collectibles, I put the price rock bottom low at $100, nothing in a month. I finally stopped being lazy and spent about 45 minutes perfectly packing these things, very fragile pewter, and put them on eBay. I really didn't want to waste the time I knew it would take to pack them perfectly, but I got $300 on eBay. The people on Offer Up are simply not smart enough to understand the value of anything on there unless it's a common household item, they are some of the dumbest people you'll ever see. I don't think anyone with an annual income above $15,000 uses Offer Up, it's that bad. They'll offer you $5 for a dining room table and apparently they're serious, or valuable items will sit there with no offers for weeks on end. If anyone out there ever wants to make easy money, as an aside, it's a one sentence explanation: Check Offer Up (or whatever else), have eBay open, advanced search for "Sold Items," and if the value of what you're seeing locally is far below the eBay value, then buy it up and put it on eBay. Easy, easy money, sure beats minimum wage jobs :P

I've had no luck on FB marketplace, either, some people I know have. I have used CL and Offer Up when I didn't care whatsoever about the value, I simply wanted these things gone and I'd list the price unbelievably low, like cheap furniture is a great example. People search CL for furniture, so it seems a good place to list, and if you don't care about the money you just need it gone, I'd recommend CL for that.

When it comes to easy-to-ship items like designer stuff, go to eBay. I sold some dorky pair of slippers my dad gave me one Christmas for $85, literally threw them into a box and that was that, and I was selling enough stuff on eBay I wasn't going to the post office for one item, but many many items at once so my "wasted time" was split across countless things. I got $710 for some gold chains even without giving a half-way decent description, I had no clue if they were 14K or 24K gold or 18K gold, for that matter, and to get that kind of stuff appraised when it's minor jewelry isn't worth the money or the hassle. Still, I was happy, $710 is solid.

I'd say 90% of the time on eBay, you get what the item is actually worth. The other 10%, you listed it wrong (wrong category, I've done it before, whoops) or you got unlucky. I've had times where a collectible sold for $1,200 and the last three auctions were $1,550, $1,400, and $1,450, and I have no clue why I got only $1,200, not the end of the world, but that can happen. Still, eBay is your friend, you'll get very close to the value something is worth and it may surprise you. People pay for brand name stuff I've noticed.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Those purses, try the online places where they pay you for designer items. I can't remember the name of any of them, but they should be easy to find. Or, if you have a local high end consignment shop.

The baskets aren't worth very much, but if there are a lot of them, I'd advertise on Craigslist in the collectibles, antiques, and furniture sections (ad has to be different in each section). Put "Moving sale: collectibles, Longaberger baskets, $10 each, your choice. Set it up like a yard sale at a specific time. You will get some collector or you won't. Online it says that they are no longer desirable.

At the same time, you set the other stuff out. A used wheel barrow isn't worth much unless it is one of those metal ones that cost $350 brand new. I'd give $100 for one in good shape, but you'll maybe get $50 for one at a garage sale. If that is the type it is. Otherwise you might get $5.

The rest of the stuff isn't worth much used.

Another option would be to put an ad on Craigslist for all the baskets to go as a group. Someone will grab them up, sell them individually and make some money.

I'm sorry that a lot of things that people collect don't have much resale value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living