Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 4,686 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Do you enjoy your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Looking for off-the-grid people on the internet is... amusing. Downright hilarious, the longer you think about it.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 PM

978 posts, read 676,081 times
I rode the exercise bike to generate.....

just...
enough."... electricity , to"......"...............

reply............................

Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
There is a rural living section and a self-sufficiency and preparation section here on C-D.

In the frugal section, you will find several people who raise their own veggies, but might not consider themselves to be homesteaders. There are also veggie and chicken growers in the gardening sections.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:42 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
My house uses solar-power, though I have access to grid-power [if the grid is up and if I want to use it].

Grid power in our township is unreliable, so every home in our town has at least one generator and/or solar power.

I breed pigs, and we garden a lot.

My wife and I have both been vendors in roadside Farmers Markets.

OP when you say "Off-grid" what do you mean, exactly?
Do you mean not using grid power?
Do you mean no telephone? No internet access? No radio? No TV?

I know people who live totally off-grid like that.

I enjoy this lifestyle. Our land is mostly dense forest, we have a quarter-mile of river frontage. We can not see any neighbors from our house, and no neighbors can see us.

I routinely see eagles and hawks flying over me when I am in the garden. When I started building our house, a moose used to hang up here a lot. Most winters a bear hibernates on my land. Foxes and fisher cats attack our chickens frequently.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 4,686 times
Thanks everyone, especially Submariner.

Off Grid for my purposes meant not fully relying on utility companies for basic utilities

If you cannot find homesteaders/off-griders online, not sure how else to go about it?

Old 06-04-2019, 01:12 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie00 View Post
... If you cannot find homesteaders/off-griders online, not sure how else to go about it?
There are a bunch of online forums that focus on homesteading / prepping / survivalism.

I am in a few different groups that practice all of these skill sets.

I read an article a year ago that claimed my state has the highest number of surviving hippy communes left over from the 1960s. The local culture here accepts it, if you want to grow your own food and market some at a roadside stand, people are very accepting of it here.

Many of our country-style fairs focus on off-grid self-sufficiency skills.

I help to coordinate one fo these fairs Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > The Fair
There are no carnival rides, or cotton candy. Instead 800+ workshops on homesteading skills.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Leaning that direction but will always be hooked into main power........because if you aren't, then they come looking for you.

Making this brief, the well is solar powered.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:05 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie00 View Post
Thanks everyone, especially Submariner.

Off Grid for my purposes meant not fully relying on utility companies for basic utilities

If you cannot find homesteaders/off-griders online, not sure how else to go about it?
A friend of ours is off grid. He has a company that consults and installs all sorts of solar and water systems.

He's very happy. Just because he has disconnected from the grid doesn't mean he has disconnected from the internet or the real world.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
..... Just because he has disconnected from the grid doesn't mean he has disconnected from the internet or the real world.

The Net, that's one of those things.

I constantly go through this kind of mental argument of paying $75/5 G download a month for satellite while if I went dial up, I could probably have unlimited for not that much money more!

....................................till I recall that it is my use of the Net at home that I am trying to reduce not increase. I am trying to adopt a "Skippy, the Kangaroo" type life style.

So, to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living