Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:15 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times

Advertisements

I have never found suitable officewear in any of the thrift stores around here, I guess because I am not in the best neighborhood. Also, for some reason, most of the tags were ripped out so I didn't know what size stuff was. Why do they do that? Anyways, I suppose I should try one in another neighborhood, maybe I will find nicer stuff.

TJMaxx is hit or miss for me, too. I have found a few blouses, but never any dresses or slacks. They have very nice handbags, but not at budget prices.

I have not tried Ross, but there is one not too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 12:23 PM

307 posts, read 164,493 times
Have you tried shopping online on Thred Up or on apps like Poshmark, Tradesy and Mrrcari? They will have a large variety. Ebay is another way to go.

I agree that for quality clothing, you will have to travel to thrift shops/consignment stores in/near more upscale neighborhoods. Could be worth the trip.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
I don't like Poshmark because you can't return things. I ordered an item of the same cut, size and brand as another item I had but wanted to replace. It was too small.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I normally did thrift shops/Goodwill, etc. I always reasoned that if I donated good clothes, others would too.

I then learned not to tell co-workers where I bought them and usually said, 'I've had it for a long time. Can't remember where I bought it, probably (pick pricey store).' That always worked for me.
My mom told my daughter once to tell people that she got her clothes at Lord and Taylor. She was about 4. That was the family joke for a long time.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I don't like Poshmark because you can't return things. I ordered an item of the same cut, size and brand as another item I had but wanted to replace. It was too small.
yeah, I got something from poshmark that was NOT nice and there was no recourse.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I have never found suitable officewear in any of the thrift stores around here, I guess because I am not in the best neighborhood. Also, for some reason, most of the tags were ripped out so I didn't know what size stuff was. Why do they do that? Anyways, I suppose I should try one in another neighborhood, maybe I will find nicer stuff.

TJMaxx is hit or miss for me, too. I have found a few blouses, but never any dresses or slacks. They have very nice handbags, but not at budget prices.

I have not tried Ross, but there is one not too far away.
Ross on the east coast always looks like they are going out of business. there is way too much floor space for the amount of stock they have. We prefer TJ maxx.

I rip out all my tags because they ITCH and make me INSANE!

Old 08-19-2019, 03:22 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Prices are just ridiculous. I need new office clothes and it seems every item of clothing I look at is $ 40 - $ 50.00. Wal-mart is not an option - they simply don't have the type of office clothing that I need for a professional wardrobe, plus I am an older lady.

I just wondered where those in a similar situation shop (women who work in offices)?
ebay
shopgoodwill.com
thrift shops
garage sales
Wal Mart
Resale shops

No reason to pay full price for anything.

When I retired, I sold lots of my professional items to ONE person in Minnesota. Young woman returning to the workforce after having kids. Over 200 POUNDS per post office weight.

She was thrilled and I threw in jewelry, scarves, belts, etc.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Ross is great--I bought my winter coat there, and several years ago I found a cocktail dress for $9. Score!

Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 PM

740 posts, read 457,023 times
My wife and I buy our clothes from Profit Thrift Stores. Better quality than Non-Profit. Profit stores buy and so they have better quality. I have bought brand new dress shirts for $3-$9 that would cost me $30-$90. Some of the clothes I bought come directly from stores like Macy's, JC Penney, Men's Wearhouse, etc.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:27 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times
Quote:
Prices are just ridiculous. I need new office clothes and it seems every item of clothing I look at is $ 40 - $ 50.00. Wal-mart is not an option - they simply don't have the type of office clothing that I need for a professional wardrobe, plus I am an older lady.

I just wondered where those in a similar situation shop (women who work in offices)?
Some food pantries have free food. The churches are often a spot for a food pantry and have office clothes. They may seem outdated but are somewhat appropriate imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living