Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 04:50 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

I did okay but this month, right away, I spent $66+ on a Jayco smart-pro digital tire inflator pump. Robin at creativity rv recommended it and using her code I got a discount.

One thing I've noticed about Arizona is that my tires seem to lose air when the weather changes. Now, one did get a nail in it shortly after I moved here but I bought brand new tires right before the first time I drove here, 2 & 1/2 years ago so, once fixed they shouldn't be losing air, I would think.

But, one tire, and only the one, does. The last time it happened, I brought it to the tire shop and they told me it was a 'patched' tire. I told them the tires were new and they didn't have anything to say.

Then I had my oil changed and, of course they always check the tires and they were fine. Yesterday when I went to go to the grocery store, my tire light was on. It just seemed like one of those moments that happen every once in awhile in life when I was watching Robins video and she recommended this gadget.

Now, fingers crossed that it works. It does have a money back guarantee so I'm not really worried though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 05:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I don't know. I think it makes more sense to just put away $50 or whatever your budget can handle for sure, every month, rather than try to not spend money every other month. I think I would always feel like a failure, because there's always something that needs money, even if it's not huge.

I don't think the tire inflator was a very frugal expense. Seems to me you could always just drive to a gas station and refill the tire.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't know. I think it makes more sense to just put away $50 or whatever your budget can handle for sure, every month, rather than try to not spend money every other month. I think I would always feel like a failure, because there's always something that needs money, even if it's not huge.

I don't think the tire inflator was a very frugal expense. Seems to me you could always just drive to a gas station and refill the tire.

Nowadays, from what i see, anywhere there is an air hose, they charge $1.50 to $2.00.
I live out in the boonies. I have tires on several vehicles & ATV's that frequently need some air, so i have a light weight 12 volt air compressor at my place & a 45 year old Craftsman, that is 120 volt (still works)...

Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 PM

When I lived in Minnesota by family, there was always a compressor because it was a farm. I was spoiled.

Nomoresnow, it was something I wanted so I got it. I do plan on doing some traveling and that will entail driving. I plan on buying safety devices for my car. This is one of them.

I'm not sure how I did it, although I did have meals I had frozen and I was being super frugal but I saved $250 last month. I don't want to live that frugally all the time because I didn't allow any extras but it is nice to know it's safely in the bank if I need it.

There is a lot I live without but, that's okay. I'm comfortable. I do have a really hard time justifying eating out. I know it's what a lot of people do to socialize but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Really, I would rather spend money seeing a play than paying for restaurant food. I've just gotten weird since getting older I guess.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Hats off to you, Meo! I had attempted that discipline this past year. Mr. Murphy intervened.

Legal fees.

Daughter's husband stripped the accounts and dumped her and the kids for a PT real estate agent. I was not going to leave her at the mercy of Legal Aid or whatever.

BOTH sons required the services of crack attorneys. BOTH sons were shocked at the accusations. NEITHER son was at the scene, or so they say, and I believe them. (Of course, we have all heard of mothers who say "but he is such a good boy!"... ) Regardless, I was not going to leave them at the mercy of prosecutors looking for easy rolls. The charges were dropped, but you can't get that done on your own.

Relocation costs.
Relative had medical emergency and required evacuation. And household setup.

Wiped out three years' worth of cash accumulation. I'm working another year and have washed my hands of additional exposure. Except for the relative, for whom I'm willing to be a safety net until she's in medical and financial steady state.

THEN I can go back to frugal (e.g., uncomplicated) living. I'm going to copy the idea of "no-spend months".

Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Wow, you've had some tough times lately.

Thankfully you had some reserve.

I did fairly well last month. It wasn't a no spend month and I did come close to spending my entire check but had extra expenses. I don't have anyone to buy for Christmas anymore so should do okay this month.

I already broke my rule though as I bought a cat harness so I can, hopefully, get my cat trained to go on a trip next month. The harness looks like one she can't get out of. We'll see. Since I moved into this apartment she can't go outside. Hopefully, she'll wear it when she realizes she can go outside again with it on.

Yes, she's a pretty smart cat.

There's a lot I have to save for because I want to start traveling when my lease is up the end of April. So everything I can save now will go towards that goal. I do have investment funds but am going to try not use them, if possible.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-03-2019 at 08:29 AM..

Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
This is a really good idea, and goes hand in hand with The Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo, but I don't think I could go a month without spending money - and it would even be an effort to go a day.

I'm very frugal - but if someone called and said hey can you join us for happy hour there's no way I'd say no, I'm not spending money today.

A few years ago there was a movement - "eat what you have". That is, you don't plan in your head what you'll make for dinner and then see if you have the ingredients, and buy what you don't have, you open the pantry and freezer and eat what's there. It was a great exercise.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Love the topic.
I'm playing a game with myself - "How little can I spend this month?" Ha!
I can tell because I use a credit card for everything for points.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is a really good idea, and goes hand in hand with The Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo, but I don't think I could go a month without spending money - and it would even be an effort to go a day.

I'm very frugal - but if someone called and said hey can you join us for happy hour there's no way I'd say no, I'm not spending money today.

A few years ago there was a movement - "eat what you have". That is, you don't plan in your head what you'll make for dinner and then see if you have the ingredients, and buy what you don't have, you open the pantry and freezer and eat what's there. It was a great exercise.
Really? I've done that without knowing it was a movement, lol, but it is indeed a great exercise. I started going through my freezer and my cabinets to see what I already had, and I had to buy very little.

I've also found it to be a truth that often if I think I have to buy something, I already either have it or I have something that can be used in its place.

A few years ago my former boss was being honored at a black-tie dinner at the fancy schmancy Yale Club in NYC. She was given a table of ten tickets and asked me to go since the work I did was directly related to the honor she was being given. I regretfully told her no. It was three days before the event, and there was no way I was going to be able to order something appropriate to wear and have it get to me in time. I am six feet tall, so actually shopping for a long formal dress at a brick-and-mortar store is not a possibility.

The next day she came to me again, and said, "Are you sure? Some women just wear a nice black dress. If you could do that, it would be fine." I did have a couple of things hiding in the back of the closet, so I said I'd give it a shot.

Well, I DID have a long, silky black skirt that I'd bought from a tall catalog some years ago. I thought, "Gee, I wish I hadn't given away that sparkly camisole and jacket set I wore to that holiday party about ten years ago...but wait. DID I?" I went rooting around some more, and sure enough, I found the cami and jacket in a bin that was in my storage room.

I ended up wearing what I already had. On the elevator on the way up to the venue, I found myself among actual Yale Club members who were discussing where they moored their boats around the city and how much per foot they paid...and as one woman got off the elevator, she turned to me and said, "I really love your dress. It looks wonderful on you." My old clothes were just fine.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Periodically we eat down the freezer and pantry. Being retired we have many days where we don’t go anywhere and spend any money. We have a allowance that each of us can spend how we want and a monthly fun money allotment for doing things together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living