Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 03:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,682 times

Advertisements

I heard about safelink. My brother in law needs a phone, he's on social security disability. Does anyone know how Safelink or those services work? A friend of mine on welfare has Safelink, but my bil needs something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Here is the thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...nes-smart.html

Old 11-21-2018, 05:39 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
It does not really cover many minutes. Probably cheaper for you to add him to your line for $10

Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It does not really cover many minutes. Probably cheaper for you to add him to your line for $10
Probably, but he's mentally ill, wants money to pay his friend for a $60 line, and now that you mention it, his friend is probably making money on him because he does not see the bill. He owes money to his friend, so he says, because he broke his phone and needs $150 to get a new phone. (AT&T) He doesn't want us to talk to his friend because he's afraid we'll damage the relationship. So just so we don't look like misers, I offered to help him get a free phone if he needs a phone so badly. He refused. So -- no money from us. Meantime, I did look at the safelink site, and there is something there about upgrading to more minutes, but evidently no one to speak to so I don't know what it means. Thanks, though. I feel bad for him, but until he comes forth with real information that he's not afraid to share with us, there will be no subsidy from us. His mother died. She had been taking care of him but now he's on his own. I feel bad for him, but we can't control him. And he doesn't want to be controlled. (Who does?) We're not getting straight answers, so I figured we'd try to offer him a cheaper plan if he's so desperate to have a phone.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:05 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
The free govt phones are funded by the federal Lifeline program. Different states have different providers and deals. I don't know what state you're in, so just google "lifeline program" and your state.

For instance, I googled lifeline program California and got these results:

https://www.californialifeline.com/en

In CA, you can have either a landline phone for free or a cell phone for free. I have it as I qualify as low income and my provider is Assurance Wireless, which is a division of Virgin Mobile. I got a free cell phone from them and can only use a phone from them. The phone and the network is horrible, and my joke is that it's worth every penny. It's pretty much incapable of using data or any apps, but it does allow me to call and text okay. Not having to pay for a phone is really helpful for me and I'm grateful to have this lifeline program.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:20 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Used to be referred to mistakenly and pejoratively as "Obama Phones", this program has been
around for a very long time.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
The free phone program typically provides 200 minutes per month.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
but it can be up to 1000 minutes per month

Old 11-23-2018, 08:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I heard about safelink. My brother in law needs a phone, he's on social security disability. Does anyone know how Safelink or those services work? A friend of mine on welfare has Safelink, but my bil needs something like that.
Depending on the state if you apply for or qualify for Food Stamps or Medicaid you can qualify for it, i think it's part of the Lifeline program.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Probably, but he's mentally ill, wants money to pay his friend for a $60 line, and now that you mention it, his friend is probably making money on him because he does not see the bill. He owes money to his friend, so he says, because he broke his phone and needs $150 to get a new phone. (AT&T) He doesn't want us to talk to his friend because he's afraid we'll damage the relationship. So just so we don't look like misers, I offered to help him get a free phone if he needs a phone so badly. He refused. So -- no money from us. Meantime, I did look at the safelink site, and there is something there about upgrading to more minutes, but evidently no one to speak to so I don't know what it means. Thanks, though. I feel bad for him, but until he comes forth with real information that he's not afraid to share with us, there will be no subsidy from us. His mother died. She had been taking care of him but now he's on his own. I feel bad for him, but we can't control him. And he doesn't want to be controlled. (Who does?) We're not getting straight answers, so I figured we'd try to offer him a cheaper plan if he's so desperate to have a phone.
Metro PCS now called Metro has unlimited plans starting at $30 a month and some of the started smartphones are cheap or maybe even free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living