Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 12:58 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Breadmakers are usually around $10 at thrift stores.

It is possible to develop sensitivities to any food eaten on an ongoing basis. Europeans can have milk and wheat sensitivities, Asians more commonly have rice sensitivities. A varied diet limits that.

One or two doctor visits can wipe out a lot of savings on foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 11:08 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
I gotta say that just having this discussion got me in the saving mood. I normally shop at our local Market Basket supermarket, which is cheaper than other local supermarkets but has 80-90% the same stuff. This past week, in addition to doing that, I reviewed the weekly paper sale flyer they send out (for a change), marked off items I wanted to buy and then brought it with me and sought them out when I did my grocery shopping. Normally I just buy on-sale items spontaneously when I notice them in-store, and this extra step identified a lot more bargains for me, and it helped noticeably.

Today I am making a crock-pot chili using low-fat ground turkey, black beans, green beans, vidalia onion and crushed tomatoes I got on sale at the MB.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:19 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
I think as long as you don't buy organic, you don't have to spend a lot to eat healthy (including decent cuts of meat). I don't mean NY Strip, but you can buy sirloin or hamburger.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:41 AM

1,579 posts, read 949,600 times
Thanks for this thread! I am looking for ways to trim my grocery budget so this is a good reminder. I already do a lot of these things, but not always. For one thing, my daughter is vegetarian and I’m a “I don’t carian” (meaning I don’t care if my meals have meat or not. I’ll eat them either way) so I don’t buy any meat. I also don’t buy vegetables or anything perishable in bulk because the two of us won’t eat it all before it spoils.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thanks for this thread! I am looking for ways to trim my grocery budget so this is a good reminder. I already do a lot of these things, but not always. For one thing, my daughter is vegetarian and I’m a “I don’t carian” (meaning I don’t care if my meals have meat or not. I’ll eat them either way) so I don’t buy any meat. I also don’t buy vegetables or anything perishable in bulk because the two of us won’t eat it all before it spoils.
I am also a "don't carian" I do try to get fruits, veggies and legumes, whole grains in for health, but I also eat most normal meats... try to focus mainly on chicken, turkey, shellfish and fin-fish for health again, but include beef and pork for variety and taste.

If you haven't tried making savory crepes before, they are pretty easy to make with common, inexpensive ingredients, and I've seen call for a blender, etc, but a simple wire whisk will allow you to make the crepe batter... and they go great with broccoli-cheese or asparagus-cheese, or asparagus-mushroom fillings for example - just start searching for veggie crepe recipes online and you'll find all kinds of good stuff...

Those thin French pancakes elevate all kinds of ordinary foods just by acting as a tasty envelope! Here's a video of my favorite chef, gentleman Jacques Pepin demonstrating crepes-making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_okk5pOLp4

Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am also a "don't carian" I do try to get fruits, veggies and legumes, whole grains in for health, but I also eat most normal meats... try to focus mainly on chicken, turkey, shellfish and fin-fish for health again, but include beef and pork for variety and taste.

If you haven't tried making savory crepes before, they are pretty easy to make with common, inexpensive ingredients, and I've seen call for a blender, etc, but a simple wire whisk will allow you to make the crepe batter... and they go great with broccoli-cheese or asparagus-cheese, or asparagus-mushroom fillings for example - just start searching for veggie crepe recipes online and you'll find all kinds of good stuff...

Those thin French pancakes elevate all kinds of ordinary foods just by acting as a tasty envelope! Here's a video of my favorite chef, gentleman Jacques Pepin demonstrating crepes-making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_okk5pOLp4

Oh, I am very eager to try these and it's something I think my daughter would like too (she loves crepes). And as luck would have it, tomorrow is shopping day! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Oh, I am very eager to try these and it's something I think my daughter would like too (she loves crepes). And as luck would have it, tomorrow is shopping day! Thanks for the suggestion.
Cool, let me know how they come out!

Old 06-06-2021, 07:35 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
[quote=OutdoorLover;61135450]Agreed, I kind of discovered fried cabbage fairly recently in my 50s, but I always enjoy making it, and depending on what else you add for veg and protein, plus which other flavors you use - like onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice, chili pepper, etc - there is a lot that you can do with it! A head of cabbage keeps very well in the fridge and it has a great nutritional profile, and it's cheap too!

I like adding one or more of the following veggies: shredded carrots, cut tomatoes, string beans, green peas (can just use a bag of frozen peas), snow peas, sugar snap peas...

If I add protein, it's typically: scrambled eggs, cooked chicken thigh or breast meat, cooked small or medium shrimp, ham, or cooked bacon. This can be a bit like common Asian fried noodle dishes, but with cabbage substituted for the noodles!

How are you using the tofu? Do you deep fry it in oil on its own first, or just toss it straight from the package into the stir fry along with the cabbage?[/QUOTE

Both ways, depending on how ambitious I am!

Old 06-06-2021, 08:20 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Eggs are still a bargain.

I would say all types of liver, but not anymore....even that has gotten very spendy.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Cool, let me know how they come out!

I made crepes this morning for breakfast (for the first time). I had a bag a cherries I got on sale with a coupon last week that were starting to shrivel up because we weren't eating them fast enough, so I made cherry crepes. Those weren't savory ones, I know, but they came out great. Maybe the crepes were a little thick (I might need to add more liquid to the mix). But they tasted good.

I probably won't make savory crepes right away this week. Last night I had to make a pasta that I make with fresh cherry tomatoes (before they went bad, they were also left over from last weeks shopping) and tonight is bean burritos because the avocado is ripe (and they spoil pretty quickly). My plan is to make my own recipe of fajita crepes maybe on Monday or Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living