Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 06:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

Noticed something interesting that I can't pin down, thought I'd mention here: business and donations are booming at Seattle metro Goodwill stores. In it comes, out it goes seemingly just as fast.

I've lost significant weight since summer '20, requiring top to bottom new wardrobe. Best to do this in increments as wasn't sure where I'd land. I landed in September at a stable point held since so I've made various strikes on clothing. Re-buying as I lost was necessary too but avoided when-feasible.

To current and my question: my area (metro Seattle) has various Goodwill stores. Three of interest: Kirkland, Ballard, and Bellevue. These are high income areas. Some of the curated items are mid to moderate grade brands of men's wear. Examples: Nike, UA, Adidas, Patagonia, North Face, Calvin Klein. Also the more pedestrian...and plenty of it. Decent stuff at more than fair prices. I'm not squeamish as spending $4K to update the wardrobe over 18 months is a lot easier than $15K retail.

The question: cars are lined up at Kirkland and Bellevue donating stuff. The latter was packed on a Tuesday evening recently. It's bursting at the seams with good mid to moderate grade product. I almost felt guilty walking out with $25 in clothes I couldn't touch retail for less than $150.
  • Are donations up, thought we were in hard times?
  • Is clothing becoming cheaper over time?
Thoughts, Frugal-ites? I have a big streak of frugalness despite splurges on various others items that might (cough) "disqualify" me. Tasteful, curated clothing that's new or near-new at huge discount yet stylish is a massive economic "win" in my book.

What's the macro trend for clothing in your opinion(s)? If any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 10:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

The question: cars are lined up at Kirkland and Bellevue donating stuff. The latter was packed on a Tuesday evening recently. It's bursting at the seams with good mid to moderate grade product. I almost felt guilty walking out with $25 in clothes I couldn't touch retail for less than $150.
Thoughts, Frugal-ites? I have a big streak of frugalness despite splurges on various others items that might (cough) "disqualify" me. Tasteful, curated clothing that's new or near-new at huge discount yet stylish is a massive economic "win" in my book.

Some thoughts:

1) For many years, I have bought all of my shoes at the thrift stores. Why? The pre-2000 shoes were made in the US, Spain, or Italy and they last nearly forever with an occasional reheel/resole. So much of the shoes today AT ANY PRICE LEVEL are garbage.

2) Donations are up or appear to be for two reasons. First, people have had time in the past two years to clean out the closets and get rid of stuff. However, MOST places to donate were closed during the bulk of the pandemic to donations. Now they have begun to accept them but many have only 40-60% of the volunteers that they once had to sort through them and get them out on the floor.

3) In bad economic times, used clothing is a great way to save money, especially if you live along the border where there are usada ropa shops. I have found $50-75 golf shirts for $2-3. And if you want jeans ... some of them have bales of them.

4) Most of the world wears used clothing. It is common throughout both Mexico and the Philippines among others.

I have been retired for nearly nine years. I think that the only new clothes that I have purchased have been undergarments, socks, swim suits shorts, and tropical shirts, the things that were never necessary in Chicago.

Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
That would mean going down memory lane to my intern days.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have never set foot in any kind of used clothing store, so I don't know how busy they are, but we have taken many boxes and bags to Goodwill, Salvation Army, Value Village and various donation trucks in the last two years. For us it's simply getting rid of things we don't need or use any more, mostly clothes, but also toys that the grandkids have outgrown and misc. crap left from my late mother-in-law. Since we are planning to move and downsize in another 2 years we are starting early to get rid of anything not really needed. Yes, every time we go there are lines of people donating, and part of that is people working from home, part the lack of help causing delays in getting the stuff sorted out.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:38 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I don't think thrift stores or consignment shops are a new trend. They've been with us for a long, long time. Many are receiving plenty of donations during the Pandemic as folks have more time to lighten their loads.

We have some excellent ones in our area. Some get unsold, new clothes from stores, so not all merchandise is used.

And used furniture and home products are popular, too. I've found some really nice crystal glasses, cut glass bowls, and framed art in a local used home goods store nearby. The price was good, the quality was high.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:06 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Maybe all the stay at home types are getting pudgy and their clothes don't fit any more.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:09 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Congratulations on the weight loss!

It's January. i think December and January are typical go through and get rid of the stuff you don't want times because people buy new stuff for Christmas. I don't buy a lot of used clothing for myself, but my child does. This time of year at the thrift store seems to have better selection than usual.

I went through parts of my closet two weeks ago and eliminated an entire 13 gallon bag of stuff. Some of it still had the price tag on it, but like you, I got myself motivated and have lost some weight. I would have been able to wear the clothing if I hadn't lost the weight, but I'm happy to pass my good fortune on and get the old sizes out of the house. I will be buying new clothes when I reach my new goals this spring. If I find something at the thrift store that fits my vibe, I'm getting it.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:24 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Noticed something interesting that I can't pin down, thought I'd mention here: business and donations are booming at Seattle metro Goodwill stores. In it comes, out it goes seemingly just as fast.

I've lost significant weight since summer '20, requiring top to bottom new wardrobe. Best to do this in increments as wasn't sure where I'd land. I landed in September at a stable point held since so I've made various strikes on clothing. Re-buying as I lost was necessary too but avoided when-feasible.

To current and my question: my area (metro Seattle) has various Goodwill stores. Three of interest: Kirkland, Ballard, and Bellevue. These are high income areas. Some of the curated items are mid to moderate grade brands of men's wear. Examples: Nike, UA, Adidas, Patagonia, North Face, Calvin Klein. Also the more pedestrian...and plenty of it. Decent stuff at more than fair prices. I'm not squeamish as spending $4K to update the wardrobe over 18 months is a lot easier than $15K retail.

Covid has caused some permanent changes in the workplace and a helluva lot more people are working from home now. I know I have sent a LOT of clothes to the thrift store in the last year. I just don't need all those nice "work clothes" anymore.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:42 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe all the stay at home types are getting pudgy and their clothes don't fit any more.
A lot of people have died, too.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:29 AM

376 posts, read 653,805 times
Could be the Marie Kondo effect too- getting rid of excessive clothes etc, and the "experiences not stuff" mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living