Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 10:46 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times

Advertisements

Mathjak, you are absolutely correct. I have never been house poor but I know people that are. I have always driven my cars until they are too expensive to repair. I have never bought the most house I could afford. It’s no fun being broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 03:13 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Mathjak, you are absolutely correct. I have never been house poor but I know people that are. I have always driven my cars until they are too expensive to repair. I have never bought the most house I could afford. It’s no fun being broke.
One does not even have to be broke …many try to live frugally and save more but the fact is a lot of what they spew is peeing in the ocean compared to where the big dollars are really spent .

I also know people who are always clipping coupons and will reuse tea bags , etc who cherish the dollar so much they won’t invest ….

They give up the most powerful force in the personal finance world , namely compounding and so while a penny saved is a penny earned , it is always going to be less then a penny .

So there is a lot of foolishness and busy work with little gain that goes on too

Old 04-10-2022, 01:27 PM

308 posts, read 211,859 times
No matter how many lattes you stop buying;or how many less avocado toasts you consume or if you stop eating out...if you're stuck in debt for life like myself;nothing is going to help you thrive financially and save/invest. As I've mentioned before;over 50% of my take home pay goes to minimum payments on my debt...at this point in my life only a windfall or a bankruptcy will help me.

Of course;being able to control your housing expenses is the next thing.But unfortunately;after some time that also becomes extremely hard and almost impossible.Where is one going to go if rents are up everywhere?

At present; only 27% of my take home goes to rent..which by current Miami standards is a bargain..,some people down here have to spend 40-50% of their pay in housing. I've lived here for 55 years...At my age and physical condition I'm also
stuck here. I'm expecting a rent increase any minute,maybe to $1600 from the current $1200...and I will still be paying under market rent.

Is definitely the big things...don't sweat the small things that just makes one neurotic.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:40 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I agree. It's good to have a spouse on the same page. That's number one. Then make sure your housing and vehicles are affordable. That could mean living in a more affordable location. And part of choosing that location is looking at what your utility costs and property taxes will be.

One thing I found helpful years ago was looking at how much I spent per month on certain grocery/food items then compare it to your overall budget to see if it's worth it. Let's say you spend $3 a day on soft drinks or coffee. That's $90 a month. Or if you're a smoker spending $5 a day on cigarettes, that's $150 a month. You can decide if it's worth it to consume those things at all, not just cut down a little.

When my children were young, my ex wanted to eat out all the time. I made a rule that everyone drank water and that saved a huge portion of the cost.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 12,133 times
We worked hard and paid off the mortgage 6 years back. We also have all our vehicles paid off along with only monthly CC debt which we pay off every month. Now we just have taxes and homeowner's insurance we have to pay every year and with us both being 65 we got a $200 discount on our taxes

With 3 different grocery stores in my area, I shop at any of them for their sales and use their reward cards every time I shop and their digital coupons.
I just got our 12 pound Easter ham this morning for free by saving reward points. It was a $53 ham
If something we eat is on BOGO, I buy as many as allowed for the savings and I know it'll be eaten.
I make meals from cheaper cuts of meat by using a slow cooker and making casseroles, soups and stir fries with it to stretch it

I make enough food at supper time for planned leftovers to eat another day

Last week was the first time we ate out at a diner ever since the "pandemic" lockdowns happened. It was my birthday, so we gave it a try. It was nothing to write home about. I make better breakfasts at home every morning. I buy a store's brand of "light" english muffins (which have 11 grams of fiber each!) and make us bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches.

The only reason my husband drinks any coffee not made at home is because he can get it for free because he's a veteran.

When we both worked, we took our lunches and our coffees from home. Much cheaper than eating out every day. Healthier too.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:05 AM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
TNS, why do you have so much debt?

Old 04-11-2022, 12:39 PM

308 posts, read 211,859 times
Quote:
TNS, why do you have so much debt?
Through a combination of stupidity,greed,self-loathing,insecurity.depression,ocd...etc. during the course of 20 years or so...and I'm still at it to some degree. The damage is so massive there is no point in even trying;specially now that I've become almost physically disabled. As I often say...when the toothpaste is out of the tube...it can't be put back in.

Tks for asking.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Through a combination of stupidity,greed,self-loathing,insecurity.depression,ocd...etc. during the course of 20 years or so...and I'm still at it to some degree. The damage is so massive there is no point in even trying;specially now that I've become almost physically disabled. As I often say...when the toothpaste is out of the tube...it can't be put back in.

Tks for asking.
Wow! Just file for BK and be done with it! Then don't use credit cards again for the above reasons! If you are disabled, get whatever benefits you qualify for.....sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:18 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Get some kind of financial/mental health couseling!! I'm sure that there are free services to be found if you are addicted to credit cards, etc.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:44 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Same here. I was broke for much of my life because I had a bad marriage and ended up having to raise a child on my own, but eventually I was able to buy a place (one-story, two-bedroom condo in a townhouse complex) of my own. I bought something I could afford to pay for in retirement, while I could have afforded a much bigger place on my salary. My mortgage/taxes/insurance are less than the last rent I paid.

My brother is a painter, and he does a lot of work in an affluent town nearby and tells me of these five, six, seven-bedroom houses where a number of the rooms are empty and never used. What is the point of that? To show what a big fancy house you have on the outside? I don't get it.

My car is a 2010 Toyota that I bought in 2012. I am going to keep it running until it doesn't run anymore. Not trying to impress anyone.

So yeah, because of those big things, I can live better in other ways. Not going to save teabags, for Pete's sake, or "make pizza at home!" to save $2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living