Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live paycheck to paycheck ?
Yes ! We have very little in savings and almost run out of money between paydays! 113 31.92%
No, we have money in savings and hardly ever run out of spending cash between paydays. 173 48.87%
No savings, but we don't run out of money. 40 11.30%
Other. 28 7.91%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Yes I do live paycheck to paycheck and it's horrible Even if I get paid on a weekly basis it's still so hard for me to save a dime. Then here comes my teenager "mommy I need my hair done my nails done my feet done a brand new outfit can I get a pair of new sneakers and shoes as well" Now that's stressful!!!!
Why is that stressful for you?? "No." See, problem over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,007 times
I live paycheck to paycheck, i could probably go a month without one, but after that I'm hosed. i voted we live paycheck to paycheck since the OP assumes everyone is in a combined income household and left no options for single people

Old 07-11-2009, 05:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
To e ortega, teens are so much fun... is she old enough to get a job yet? We're tough and made our daughter get her first jb at 15 and she has never looked back. She is a full time college student and covers her gas $$ for the 45 minute commute. Covers all her incidentals and is trying to save. She typically works one job and is a guard instructor on the side.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,830 times
The second choice is not specific enough. I think a lot of people have some savings in the bank, but how much? Did they vote that option because so far they've been lucky?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Never but I did, actually, for a short period some years ago. Hated it. Right now, I've got around 7,000 USD on my spending account. The next salary (monthly) will be on my account wednesday. Got two other accounts with savings.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 AM

314 posts, read 935,760 times
No we dont live paycheck to paycheck now but before i went back to college to get my degree I did. For many years I worked low-paying jobs and was broke before the next payday. And what a wonderful feeling is to have money to pay all the bills and save. My DH and I use our first paychecks for all the household bills/retirement accounts. Our second paychecks go into savings/college fund for our son. We bought our first home through a short sale so our mortage is very reasonable for the area we live in. No credit card debt, both of our cars are paid off.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,261 times
I have been blessed these several years. I used to live paycheck to paycheck but with promotions and increase in pay, it's no longer the case. And I don't spend frivolously, I have money in savings, yet I allow myself the niceties once in a while. Bills are paid and money saved=win

Old 07-16-2009, 05:13 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
I was living pay check to pay check to try to pay off the medical bills i incurred and lost my job a year ago and now my unemployment will end soon.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,727 times
Quote:
Yes I do live paycheck to paycheck and it's horrible Even if I get paid on a weekly basis it's still so hard for me to save a dime.
I used to be in that situation as well, but I came up with a good solution a few years ago. My paychecks are directly deposited into my account. I set up a second savings account for emergencies only, and have my bank take out $25.00 per paycheck to go into that account. $25.00 may not sound like much to some people, but I have left it alone, and it adds up ! Check with your bank to see if you can do the same. Even if you just start with $5.00 a paycheck, it's better than nothing. The other part is to not touch the money except if it's for an emergency, like a car repair, expensive dental work etc.

Quote:
Then here comes my teenager "mommy I need my hair done my nails done my feet done a brand new outfit can I get a pair of new sneakers and shoes as well" Now that's stressful!!!!
With the economy the way it is, you should just say no to your daughter. I know it's hard, because you want to give your kids what you can, but it's not always possible. If she's old enough, she should get a part time job so that she can buy her own clothes etc. It will teach her the real value of money, and that it doesn't grow on trees.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
With the economy the way it is, you should just say no to your daughter. I know it's hard, because you want to give your kids what you can, but it's not always possible. If she's old enough, she should get a part time job so that she can buy her own clothes etc. It will teach her the real value of money, and that it doesn't grow on trees.
I agree. I got my first job at 16, despite my mom's objections. I think she thought I should enjoy my youth while it lasted or something. I really learned something about money from that experience. I stopped demanding that she buy me fancy clothes after that. I became a lot more independent and responsible. Jobs are good for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living