Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,162,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
ALL of the things I listed are cheaper than generics in my area. YMMV.
Almost all of them are not cheaper here. Take Ketchup. Its $7.14 at Costco for 3-44oz bottles. But you can get 24oz bottles at Target, Wal-mart or the grocery store for around $1.00. Costco is $.05409/oz and the generic is $.04166. So its cheaper and you don't need to be three big bottles. Now, if you compare the price of Heinz Ketchup Costco ends up being a little cheaper.

I don't see why this would vary much from area to area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,215,451 times
The size of ketchup I got most recently was one 114 oz - don't remember the price - and before that it was a big pouch from Sams which I think was one gallon, for less than $5 iirc.

Both times I funneled them into smaller containers. Ketchup was originally designed as a tomato preserve - if you keep it cold, it will stay good for months. In fact even if you don't refrigerate it, it will stay good a long time.

Ketchup and mayonnaise are almost the only things I won't compromise on by getting generics, since the generics usually taste crappier - I always get Heinz and Best Foods/Hellmans. In this case I can get both cheaper than generics.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,727,822 times
We get mesquite chicken, frozen tilapia, frozen breaded tilapia, italian chicken, tomatoes, kiwi, apples, paper towels (I am really not sure they are less expensive than the grocery store) small sweet peppers, and sometimes milk and eggs at Sam's. I guess I just like the brands they have. I bought yogurt a couple of times, but we cannot eat that much yogurt before it spoils. There are a lot of brands of crackers, granola bars, nuts, etc. that are just convenient to pick up. I also buy lettuce, broccoli--both fresh and frozen and large packages of corn on the cob. I forgot the kaiser rolls and there is a package of cold cuts that have honey turkey, ham, and roast beef.

Once we were vacationing in Nashville and I googled for Sam's locations and got mesquite chicken, corn on the cob, apples, bananas, etc. and had a very economical food week on vacation. I just usually put the food in the freezor and refridgerator and don't notice the number of servings. The chicken was somewhere between $10 and $12 and I was able to get 6 servings because there were 18 breasts in the package.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 PM

204 posts, read 815,246 times
Some of you are very lucky to have stores that price aggressively on food/general consumption goods.

In South Florida, Target and Wal-Mart do not have a great presence, and Publix is very expensive. CostCo pay's for itself many times over, and I shopping just for myself. I save $100 a year just on eggs and milk at CostCo. Also saved a boatload on contacts - they were cheaper than any of the online vendors, and under half price of my local eye doctor. Snacks, cereal, bread (not generics) are all a good deal at CostCo. Could I possibly get a better deal with a coupon + sale at Publix? Maybe - but CostCo is also efficient. My time is worth money too. Even if it was the same price as Publix, I would still shop at CostCo because eventually it would cut out a shopping trip to another store.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
The size of ketchup I got most recently was one 114 oz - don't remember the price - and before that it was a big pouch from Sams which I think was one gallon, for less than $5 iirc.

Both times I funneled them into smaller containers. Ketchup was originally designed as a tomato preserve - if you keep it cold, it will stay good for months. In fact even if you don't refrigerate it, it will stay good a long time.

Ketchup and mayonnaise are almost the only things I won't compromise on by getting generics, since the generics usually taste crappier - I always get Heinz and Best Foods/Hellmans. In this case I can get both cheaper than generics.
You're getting the same price or less as generics, but wasting a lot of time doing it. Not to mention having to store the crap.

Also, Ketchup is not rocket science. Yes, the different brands have different tastes, but there is no general sense where one is "crappier". If you prefer Heinz that's fine...but the generics are somewhat cheaper and you don't need to buy a gallon to get a good price.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,215,451 times
I have time, I'm not that busy.

I believe in getting large amounts of extra food when the prices are low. I put them aside for a time soon to come when there will be many shortages in grocery stores, or to use if the pandemic gets so bad that I would stay indoors for a while.

I'd like to get a 3 month supply of food put aside.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I believe in getting large amounts of extra food when the prices are low. I put them aside for a time soon to come when there will be many shortages in grocery stores...
There is going to be shortages in the grocery stores in the near future? Well, I guess you'll live an extra 3 months.

Quote:
I'd like to get a 3 month supply of food put aside.
Well, whatever floats your boat. Just don't forget about 40 gallons of water for each person too...

Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,734,000 times
Why so annoyed at someone else's spending habits? There are benefits to stockpiling when you have the money to do so.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,368,985 times
I found Costco/Sam's Club to be good if there are 2 or more people living in the same household but think it's too much for just 1 person.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Why so annoyed at someone else's spending habits? There are benefits to stockpiling when you have the money to do so.
People can stockpile whatever they want, it does not bother me. Its when they start talking about some sort of impending doom, that it gets a little annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living