Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times

Advertisements

I guess the people who want to live frugally and learn how to make and save money using the Internet are not interested in spending money to learn how to do so. The class at the Adult and Community Education program (offered with a real teacher at a local high school) on how to live frugally was cancelled due to lack of enrollment.

I talked to the teacher. He was very disappointed and wondered why people did not want to learn how to save thousands of dollars.

Why wouldn't a class like this be popular in this economy?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 04-28-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM

170 posts, read 453,876 times
Was this an online class? A class at City-Data, or a class somewhere local to you?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,931 times
I guess I'm not alone in my thinking that the fastest way to save money is not spending it on a class on how to save money.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
How much did it cost? Perhaps people don't want to spend money frivolously right now.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
How much did it cost? Perhaps people don't want to spend money frivolously right now.
$29

The students would have made that back a hundred times over if they would have followed what was in the class. Somewhat similar to the students who refuse to spend money on a class in job hunting. You need to spend money to make or save money sometimes.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,941 times
Quote:
Perhaps the concept of frugal living wasn't the problem. How was the class promoted/marketed to the public?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Perhaps the concept of frugal living wasn't the problem. How was the class promoted/marketed to the public?
In an adult education catalog with a number of other courses. I was told that rarely is a class cancelled due to a lack of enrollment because the coordinator of the program writes such effective copy in the catalog and has a sixth sense of what is successful.
In this class he was wrong, no interest. So I met with the instructor one on one.

This adult education program is one of the most successful in America and has hundreds of classes on about every topic you can think of. The catalog is sent to every household in the county and they have a full time marketing staff.

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 04-28-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,941 times
Quote:
In an adult education catalog with a number of other courses. I was told that rarely is a class cancelled due to a lack of enrollment because the coordinator of the program writes such effective copy in the catalog and has a sixth sense of what is successful. In this class he was wrong, no interest. So I met with the instructor one on one.
So it's possible that the concept was good, but wasn't delivered to the correct audience?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
My guess is that people were afraid that it would be either over-the-top frugal or a little too much of a sales pitch for some scheme.

I visited a web site for frugal living and was quickly scared away. They were advocating things like only washing our hair once a month, feeding your family of five on $8 a day (and the menus were disgusting and full of fatty, unhealthy foods), washing and reusing Swiffer pads (uh, wouldn't a good old fashioned bucket and mop be a better solution), the list goes on.

I don't think that the average person of reasonable intelligence needs to pay $29 to be told to use cold water for the wash and line dry the laundry, clip coupons, plant a garden, and turn the lights off when you're not in the room.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
You have my sympathy. I finally stopped visiting my favorite frugal living site because it had been taken over by tin-foil hat, weapon-happy survivalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living