Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,794,726 times

Advertisements

I generally try to be thrifty, but this morning I paid $500 for two flights to Detroit and $600 for two tickets to a Stanley Cup game. DH and I got caught up in hockey fever! Now I'm wondering how many months straight we need to eat Kraft Dinner before I feel balanced again!

Unfortunately there's no "Frugal Living - Stories of Shame" forum, so I figured this had to go here so others could regale me with similar stories of inappropriate splurges so I don't feel so bad ;(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM

985 posts, read 2,603,601 times
Everyone should treat themselves once and a while! Being frugal doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself of things you really enjoy. What I do is prioritize, for example, I really want to take a nice trip to Maine in August, so I've been cutting back on other things so I can do it. There's nothing wrong with being thrifty in some areas so you can spend more on something you really want to do or have. Life isn't just about saving as much money as one can, it's also about experiencing as much as one can experience. Sometimes, those experiences are going to cost a pretty penny but, imo, they can be worth it. Just my $.02 cents.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM

22,646 posts, read 47,828,778 times
You are not a failure to me!

We are frugal so that we have to money to do just those sorts of things.

Enjoy... and GO PENS!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,502,404 times
Being frugal doesn't mean not having a life. It seems some here think that. Good call on the hockey game, I've been to a few and they were exciting.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,692,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I generally try to be thrifty, but this morning I paid $500 for two flights to Detroit and $600 for two tickets to a Stanley Cup game. DH and I got caught up in hockey fever! Now I'm wondering how many months straight we need to eat Kraft Dinner before I feel balanced again!

Unfortunately there's no "Frugal Living - Stories of Shame" forum, so I figured this had to go here so others could regale me with similar stories of inappropriate splurges so I don't feel so bad ;(
Frugal Living - Stories of Shame - good one! Enjoy yourselves, you've already made my day.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,631,880 times
Be frugal but also enjoy yourselves as you only live once.
As long as you can afford it and not go into debt over it then treat yourself once in a while.

You can't take it with you as they say. Well you can..but what good will it do you ?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:37 PM

LOL Thanks guys And yes, GO PENS!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,471,214 times
Good god! That's a LOT of money for a hockey game. If you can afford it, great. But if you still carry a balance on your credit card, this is not good!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 AM

LOL No, we paid of all of our credit cards. We're still paying off a medical degree and a law degree though, but I don't see those going away for a while

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,471,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
LOL No, we paid of all of our credit cards. We're still paying off a medical degree and a law degree though, but I don't see those going away for a while
If you have cash and income to pay for these tickets, then it is okay. But if you plan to put them on your credit card and pay them off, it is not okay.

Splurges are relative to one's income and goals, and only you know what those are.

It's important to have money put aside for this stuff, and then you decide "Are we going to spend our 'fun' money on impulsively buying tickets to a hockey game or a vacation on the beach." If you spend the money on hockey tickets, then you relinquish something else.

It's not about falling of the 'frugal wagon." It's about have a budget and goals, and sticking to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living