Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,903 times

Advertisements

I save about 100 dollars each heating month. You can probably only do this if you are single. I set the thermostat to 57. I have an electric space heater that I run in whatever room I am in. I moved to the downstairs part of the house. The rooms are smaller, and easier to spot heat. I DO NOT run this space heater at night when asleep. I spend a lot of time in the smallest bedroom, which is now my office. I can easily heat this room to 70, or whatever I want. Is this as nice as the whole house being 70? No, but at least I can be comfortable in 1 room.

By the way, my electric bill does not change much. Since most of the house is cool, the refridge(my energy monster) hardly runs. This reduction in use goes to run the space heater, so my electric bill hardly changes. And electric rates here are cheap. I save about 500 a heating season(natural gas). I have been doing this for 3 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
You're a gem! A link for this lifesaver! Okay: will get. It's a deal at $21 for 25 feet.

Kate

Reflectix also comes in 16" width for $15 (look at bottom of page on link)

Most winters in southwest OR are usually pretty mild compared to many other states...

I use my woodburner most of the time. I'm fortunate to have a forest of timber here on the mountain. I cut a lot of firewood with my Stihl chainsaws.

Have a Great Day.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 AM

745 posts, read 1,324,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
You can get 10x that much for less than 3x the price from Ebay.
EcoFoil Radiant Barrier Foil Insulation (500 sf) - eBay (item 360202651317 end time Nov-05-09 06:23:27 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360202651317&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT - broken link)

Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Today I installed (such a fancy word for such a simple task) weather stripping on the slider insert for the cat door upstairs. The room temp raised 2 degrees. Slowly but surely, I'll take everyone's advice!

I got the weatherizing KIT for windows. I'll do the downstairs first, since we now spend all our time in smaller rooms (easier to heat).

We didn't get the wall mounted heaters. They're a great idea but our rooms are small & the most important room, the bedroom, doesn't have good available wall space.

We decided to get Sunbeam convection space heaters (thermostat settings are 65-70-75-80-85 & it goes up to 72 degrees on the 65 degree setting but the unit is on the floor & the thermometer is about 4 feet up). I had one of these units on my side of the duplex (occupied by my daughter) & the electric bill was great (we're all electric, no gas). So Mr. Boyfriend got 2 of them at WalMart for $50/each.

My electric bill on my daughter's side (she doesn't have a clothes dryer & she doesn't use the dish washer) has been around 31 dollars.

More details soon.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 PM

102 posts, read 299,091 times
this may seem dumb...but i would like some help.
my house is heated by duke energy..so i am guessing tat its electric. i keep my temp around 70 (in the evenings)since i dont like to be cold. i do dress warmly and wear socks. sometimes i increase the temp for a while till the house heats up and then reduce it to 65 when goin to sleep. my house is a single bed room around 900 sq ft, only me nad my hubby (who never feels the cold).we live in nc where the winters are not tat cold as else where.

will it help if i got a room heater and used tat during the night to warm my bedroom before i go to sleep ? right nw i pay around 45-50$ for heat, cooking,lights and laundry. is there any way i can reduce my bill. i cant reduce in cooking, since we cook almost everyday. laundry is around 1-2 times a month.

any suggestions ?

Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Your bill is great - I wish I could complain about paying that low of a bill! ... I've learned to think of 60 degrees as very warm. Try lowering that thermostat more... Bundle up & wear about 2 layers of socks on your feet when not sleeping. Wear more than one layer for your top area at night... A cap or hat of some kind helps during the day.

I currently use a heating pad (60 watts & on the lowest setting) in the lower middle of the bed at night for our feet to touch on if we're getting cold. We have a wool blanket on top to hold in body heat.

We're using a space heater (Sunbeam convection with settings from 65-85 & an "eco" setting that helps conserve energy) all day & night. It's rated at 1500 watts but it doesn't use that all the time, due to the "eco" regulator.

70 degrees... I understand... When I lived in CA, I hated it when it would get down to 68 degrees indoors. 70 was my comfort zone. Now I love it if it's above 50 degrees!!!! 60 is HEAVENLY! 65 is unbelievable!

The bedroom got to 67 today with the heater on all day & night. Tropical. However, the bedroom door is kept open (prevents getting too dry also) to share the heat with the rest of the downstairs, perhaps under 500 square feet total. Bathroom, hall & two rooms (bed/office-entertainment).

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhivya View Post
my house is heated by duke energy..so i am guessing tat its electric. i keep my temp around 70 (in the evenings)since i dont like to be cold. i do dress warmly and wear socks. sometimes i increase the temp for a while till the house heats up and then reduce it to 65 when goin to sleep. my house is a single bed room around 900 sq ft, only me nad my hubby (who never feels the cold).we live in nc where the winters are not tat cold as else where.

will it help if i got a room heater and used tat during the night to warm my bedroom before i go to sleep ? right nw i pay around 45-50$ for heat, cooking,lights and laundry. is there any way i can reduce my bill. i cant reduce in cooking, since we cook almost everyday. laundry is around 1-2 times a month.

any suggestions ?
I live in NC too..so you're probably Duke Power?

Trust me, count your blessings..it does not get much lower than that. I pay $52 a month on their equal payment plan, and I'm pretty sure I'll get money back at the end of the month. $40 is about base for a one bedroom when you take into account appliances. Even when I lived in a place with gas heat, my electric was at least $45 a month.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 AM

102 posts, read 299,091 times
oh ok. just wanted to make sure my bill was fine. what is the equal payment plan ?

Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:

any suggestions ?
Just a suggestion, sorry, it is driving me nuts. "Tat" is spelled "that", with an "h". You misspelled it every time you wrote it so I assume it wasn't just a typo.

Now to answer your question:

If you're using electric heat do not turn your heat up and down. It will burn more electricity then keeping it set at a constant, higher setting. The reason is the heat strips on your heat pump will come on if you increase your temps inside more than one or two degrees at a time.

If you don't have a heat pump w/ electric strips disregard.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
oh ok. just wanted to make sure my bill was fine. what is the equal payment plan ?
This concept has never made sense to me, but here you go -- this topic has been covered on City Data already: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ment-plan.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living