Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times

Advertisements

Well, there's always the "buy an island and stock it with artists to see what they'd do" fantasy. Or just travel around the world by private jet or plane staying in nice hotels like they show in all the travel brochures. Or buy a nice boat and wander around the planet for awhile. It all depends on how much of a windfall it was. Randomly pay off people's debts just to see what they'd do afterwards. Pay off all my relatives' debts, but I doubt I'd let them know who did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You should be glad this is only a "fantasy" and not a reality since it's a very ill conceived idea and a total waste of hard earned money.

But we all need dumb ideas to keep our minds off of the worries of the day...........

There are a lot of things in life that are a "waste" yet they are what make life interesting and fun .

I notice a lot of people that "save save save" and always think about not spending money or having fun eventually start to feel guilt when money is spent on something "fun". That's no way to life live.

The fact that you'd consider what the OP wanted to do a "waste of hard earned money" is humorous as what is a waste to you might not be a waste to someone else. It would give the OP joy to do what they wanted.

To the OP: I would completely renovate my car, which was given to me by my parents, and make it look and drive in showroom condition. A complete waste of money as I could just out and buy a new one for less but who cares! I have an emotional attachment to mine . I would also move to the country and build a skeet field in my back yard!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 AM

288 posts, read 958,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If I suddenly became stinking rich, I would not change my lifestyle very much. However, I do have one non-frugal fantasy.

I do not drive four-door vehicles. All of the 15 cars and suvs that I have owned in my life have been two door. But I have always wanted an Cadillac Escalade ESV.

If I was unbelieveable rich, I would buy a NEW Escalade and go to one of those places that modify cars and have them turn it into a TWO DOOR. I would have the only two door Cadillac Escalade ESV in the whole world!

(And while I was at it I'd have them yank those stupid DVD players out of the headrests. I hate those things).

Ah, sweet fantsies! What's yours?

20yrsinBranson
Too bad Chevrolet doesnt come back out with the old two door Tahoes, man were those sweet!!! Would probably work for your fantasy, you could just change the front grill and headlights out to look like an Escalade!!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
There are a lot of things in life that are a "waste" yet they are what make life interesting and fun .
... I would also move to the country and build a skeet field in my back yard!
Good idea (if we can still get ammo! (or reloading supplies)
I have a friend with a competition sporting clays range in his 15 acre back yard. It is a fun place to visit, and he makes decent money hosting groups and training dogs. Another friend has a pond with trap throwing sheds placed around it. I have to settle for a machine or hand thrower, and it livens up our family holiday dinners.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
Retire and take a nap.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I would buy a really great motor home and hit the road. I would send a good amount of money monthly to the kids to make sure they are comfortable. I would also send monthly money to my parents just because I love them.
The rest would be split among a variety of ministries that have changed my life and do great things to help others.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I would buy a really great motor home and hit the road. I would send a good amount of money monthly to the kids to make sure they are comfortable. I would also send monthly money to my parents just because I love them.
The rest would be split among a variety of ministries that have changed my life and do great things to help others.
Oooh... at first, I was with the "Maid service" poster, but I like this one better. I'd just like to add "Get liposuction" to the list though!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 AM

139 posts, read 568,873 times
My non frugal fantasy? So many to chose from. Anyone see that show,..."secret millionaire?" ? I would win 250mil when i sometimes buy a lottery ticket.I would be the undercover 1/4 billionaire.Set up the money to allways grow.Go around the country like a monetary johnny appleseed.Find people that need a 20g money seed and have the ability to make it grow.Find others like the elderly and sick and make their lives better.
I might get a really nice cruiser bike.(probably used)

Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 AM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
Cabin with goats, more chickens, etc.

Separate building for rescue cats, with hired help to care for them.

Once I had that I'd otherwise stick to being pretty frugal.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,627 times
Travel. Pay off relatives' debt. Pay off our debt (duh!). Have a summer place in Alaska and a winter place in Hawaii. Be a stay at home Mom. Donate to a charity that helps teach homeless people life skills. It's wrong to just throw certain inmates/recovering addicts/etc back into society without some lessons taught about: cooking, paying bills, managing a checking account, grocery shopping, resume building/dressing & grooming in a way to get hired ETC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living