Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times

Advertisements

Way to go, Woodsy! What a nice guy...... just assumed you are a guy. Hope your generosity of spirit is rewarded in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 AM

83 posts, read 189,715 times
Default Assumption correct

One always bears in the cynical part of his brain the axiom that "no good deed goes unpunished, but I guess coming out of seclusion to commit a random act of kindness occasionally is not a bad thing. Our income comes from telecommuting these days, so not much reason to go outside the fence and mingle as has been the case in the past. Its' good to get out and circulate once in a while, just to keep in practice.

We looked at buying a 15 acre parcel of property down that way a number of years ago that had been raided by timber thieves....same story....absentee owner in Dallas with a plan to retire on his own little slice of heaven. Adjacent landowner told us the thieves had been caught and sent to jail in this case as well. Kudoes to the sheriff's dept. They have a lot of country to cover, and not a lot of resources to work with. I think I read that the state penalties for stealing trees have been raised since that time. And there are more people moving in, so more watchful eyes around and perhaps more loaded guns. There is often enough value in the timber on a property to get a house built, so it's no small thing. When you consider that a thief must know that it can be worth his life to be caught in Texas, it's a fair assumption that we are dealing with some pretty desperate characters in these cases. Something to think about.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Way to go, Woodsy! What a nice guy...... just assumed you are a guy. Hope your generosity of spirit is rewarded in the near future.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM

10 posts, read 21,260 times
Default Thanks

Woodsy,
Thanks for the information. I have stacks of pine, oak, and what is probably sweet gum. I was up there last week and hired someone to come over with a forestry machine. He cleared and mulched about 4 acres and around the stacks. If you were in the area and could look at what I have, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks again,
R Melton

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Yeah Woodsy.... I never saw what kind of wood... still don't know what kind it is. If it is pine a pole barn frame comes to mind and you don't need the best wood for a frame for a pole barn. The better ?pine can be rough sawn for boards.

Not sure it can't be oak, which would be good for the same if it is straight????

DUH...pine, oak, and sweet gum... I know nothing of sweet gum, New Hampshire Yankee here.. I missed you latest post....

Build something! If at all possible build something first. Use the best wood to do that. After that make smaller things. like maybe a rack body on a truck, book shelves and benches. Some things don't have to be the best woods. We burn older than 3 year old free pine and anything else I can drag out of of the woods dead, I cut a loot of dead standing since where I live was a fair ground, abandined in 1930, and all white pine came up, over crowded tself and died standing. No one in NH burns pine at all but we do. I wouldn't dare sell pine as fire wood, and it does mean I sweep the chimney each 3 weeks, but so what?

The bad rot, crooked and bent, can be fire wood for you or for sale.

Got any pics of these piles of wood, yer best truck, and blue tick coon hound?

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 02-27-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living