Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times

Advertisements

An observation: I probably wouldn't be happy living up north or in an older home. Reason: I sleep buck naked. 60 degrees doesn't cut it for that, even with covers. Clothing is not allowed in or on my bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
An observation: I probably wouldn't be happy living up north or in an older home. Reason: I sleep buck naked. 60 degrees doesn't cut it for that, even with covers. Clothing is not allowed in or on my bed.
Try a heated mattress pad. I sleep with only light clothing, even in the winter. We have the heat at 58* and my side of the cover isn't even turned up all the way. DH turns his up on high....I think because he knows I start to shed clothes when I get too warm.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Try a heated mattress pad. I sleep with only light clothing, even in the winter. We have the heat at 58* and my side of the cover isn't even turned up all the way. DH turns his up on high....I think because he knows I start to shed clothes when I get too warm.
Nepenthe - you'd be amazed how much body heat a good down blanket can trap. Its cold at first (you can use the heated mattress pad or turn on an electric blanket to warm up the sheets before you get in) but it warms up quickly.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Down comforter! I haven't worn pajamas in a couple of decades. I toss and turn too much, and they get bunched up.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
I have two words for you.... down comforter. I sleep au naturelle, too, and my house has the heat down to 55 at night. The down has the ability to keep the heat in nicely while being light. I hate layers of heavy blankets -- sad, too -- because I quilt!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Try a heated mattress pad. I sleep with only light clothing, even in the winter. We have the heat at 58* and my side of the cover isn't even turned up all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Nepenthe - you'd be amazed how much body heat a good down blanket can trap. Its cold at first (you can use the heated mattress pad or turn on an electric blanket to warm up the sheets before you get in) but it warms up quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Down comforter! I haven't worn pajamas in a couple of decades. I toss and turn too much, and they get bunched up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have two words for you.... down comforter. I sleep au naturelle, too, and my house has the heat down to 55 at night. The down has the ability to keep the heat in nicely while being light.
I guess I know what I can use my Ikea gift card for. Thanks folks!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
Our bedroom probably gets down to upper 50s at night, but it's amazing how warm you can be under a down comforter with flannel sheets.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
I got our electric bill and I was in total shock! Last month it was $248. I don't know what we are doing to make our electric bill so high. Our heat is electric and I keep it on 75 during the day and maybe 78 at night. We are in an upstairs apartment. We have 1 TV. I use the oven every night for an hour to bake a potato. I use the dishwasher 1-2 times a day depending. But I have a feeling it's the heat that's causing our bill to be so high. I have it set it on 70 which still feels a bit cold but we can't afford $300 for electric every month. Do you all think $300 sounds right for such a small space?

You probably have some of the heat leak through the top as well as the windows.

1. Unless you live in a really cold area, or your heater is really slow at warming up your place, you don't need the heater on while no one is home. I would set it down to 64 or even lower right before you leave, and when you come in set it back up.

2. At 75 I would probably feel uncomfortable wearing a sweater, at 76 or above I prefer to be in shorts. Having the temperature that high seems kind of excessive. I suggest wearing socks and shoes, (if you're worried about the carpet you can do what I do and have 1 pair of shoes you don't take outside). Wear clothing that is appropriate for the season indoors, not jackets, but sweaters and stuff. Then see what temperature you can take it down to, you should be able to be at 72 at least if not lower.

3. At night you're unlikely to go anywhere, I personally turn off all the heat (this is CA btw, so it is not going to drop to the 30s), I just use an electric blanket. I think either a heated pad or an electric blanket should be warm enough for you, and would cut out the cost of heating the entire place all night, though it may initially cost you a bit to buy it. If the temp can fall below 40, set the heat to 42 for the night. If you have a programmable thermostat set it to warm up to 65-72 for 15 mins before you wake up.

4. Running an oven for 1 hr to cook 1 potato is inefficient (I also wouldn't recommend a baked potato everyday diet). You can purchase a toaster oven that would fit 1 potato easily, that should run at a significantly lower wattage than the oven 7500 Watts vs 1200 watts.

5. Running the dishwasher 1-2 times per day will cost you, especially if you have a drying feature. I'm not sure if you just own too little stuff, or if you don't like dirty stuff in the dishwasher, but I think you should be able to cut back on this. Turn off the heating dry element, the things may be wet when you take them out, but it won't cost you as much. Buy more flatware, dishes, glasses etc if you don't have enough to fill the dishwasher.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Who turns UP their heat at night? That is just weird.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
I got our electric bill and I was in total shock! Last month it was $248. I don't know what we are doing to make our electric bill so high. Our heat is electric and I keep it on 75 during the day and maybe 78 at night. We are in an upstairs apartment. We have 1 TV. I use the oven every night for an hour to bake a potato. I use the dishwasher 1-2 times a day depending. But I have a feeling it's the heat that's causing our bill to be so high. I have it set it on 70 which still feels a bit cold but we can't afford $300 for electric every month. Do you all think $300 sounds right for such a small space?
Did you really mean 75 & 78?!!! That's amazingly hot, especially for a frugal living forum LOL!

We live in Alaska & keep our thermostat at 63 during the day & 59-60 at night. We wear wool sweaters & fleece long johns during the day and sleep in light PJ's with down comforters at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living